Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
How many TrawlerForum members?

This came up on another thread...

How many TrawlerForum members are there?

If you scroll to the bottom of the home page it says, Members 13,405. But if you go to the Community menu at the top and then select Members List, it comes up with only 5,162 members listed.

So which is it? It seems that only the 5,162 produces an actual list so I tend to believe that number. Why does it then show 13,405 and where does that unsubstantiated number come from?

similarweb.com provides some web statistics for comparing websites. TrawlerForum is currently experiencing about 75,000 visits per month. That's pretty good for a boating website. It's only 10% of other forums like CruisersForum.com but TrawlerForm is obviously more specialized. sailnet.com shows about 5x the traffic of TrawlerForum - I guess sailors talk more.

similarweb is a good source for getting basic web statistics. It isn't perfect but it's quite good for making comparisons of traffic and success.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Jeff, it's quality not quantity. Ask anybody (except you) here, and they'll tell you this site beats your site on Farsebook, hands down.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
Old 08-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
I wouldn't say sailors talk more. They are just a much broader demographic. You can buy a floating functional $1000 sailboat. But not many $1000 trawlers out there. That broadens the demographic many times over.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #4
Guru

City: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
........... it's quality not quantity.
Yep.

I think many websites devolve into arguing sites over time. The Cruisers site is really bad but this place isn't far behind. There's some good information here but there's bad information as well. If you don't know the difference, it could get you into trouble.

As for Jeffery's Facebook group, I know of several people he threw off the group for disagreeing with him too forcefully.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #5
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I wouldn't say sailors talk more. They are just a much broader demographic. You can buy a floating functional $1000 sailboat. But not many $1000 trawlers out there. That broadens the demographic many times over.
Put a fork in it...this one's done!
Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
We aren't burdened w $1000 boat riff raff here on TF. Just a select group of high rollers?

Wes, how forcefully did the guys on Jeff's FB group "disagree w him"? There's "I respectfully disagree" to really ugly. I won't give an example of really ugly as we run a nice clean house here. I can only think of one bad apple.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 08-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Jeff, it's quality not quantity. Ask anybody (except you) here, and they'll tell you this site beats your site on Farsebook, hands down.
I'm not comparing against the ActiveCaptain Facebook group. I don't think I even mentioned it. I'm just curious - how many actual members are there here? There are two numbers, vastly different.

No one was ever removed or banned from the ActiveCaptain Facebook group for disagreeing with me. That's ridiculous. I love a good debate/argument. The one thing that isn't tolerated there by the admins is personal attacks, especially when there is no relationship to the subject. The group also doesn't allow any politics in discussions and all debates must be respectful.

Again though, none of that has to do with the question posed and the point of this thread (stop the thread drift - go start your own thread about getting banned on the ActiveCaptain Facebook group).

Can someone give some type of proof about the number of members here and provide information about why there are 2 numbers?
Old 08-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I would hate to see a simple question/observation devolve into yet another pissing match on TF. Maybe folks can try www.sharpening.com as a place to grind their axes?

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
.............. No one was ever removed or banned from the ActiveCaptain Facebook group for disagreeing with me. That's ridiculous. ................................
I know better than that.

Why does it matter how many members there are and isn't this just a continuation or restart of a thread that was closed?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Why? And just curious is not a good answer.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:33 AM   #11
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I thin a much more relevant question is how many ACTIVE (post at least once every 6 mos. or so) are there? I would expect somewhere in the neighborhood of 200. Mr. Baker. Any stats on that?

I can see someone joining and, for whatever reason, not participating. Site is: Less interesting/informative than they first thought, too argumentative, banned them from contributing (NOT common but does happen), insulting to their nationality (happened at least twice I can recall), they've moved on or lost interest or their choice of anchor...etc.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Interesting question, Jeffery. Looking forward to an accurate answer.
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Old 08-30-2016, 11:09 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
I thin a much more relevant question is how many ACTIVE (post at least once every 6 mos. or so) are there?.........
Of course. People join and then drift away or even pass away. As far as I know, members are not purged after X days or months of not participating. Of course the same would be said of a Facebook group. Several of my Facebook friends and group members are actually dead. Like in no longer living on this earth.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Wes, how forcefully did the guys on Jeff's FB group "disagree w him"? There's "I respectfully disagree" to really ugly..
I don't really know the answer to that, just that they reported that they has been banned. Jeffrey, as he posted in this thread, doesn't mind a good argument, but he doesn't like losing.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:30 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I don't really know the answer to that, just that they reported that they has been banned. Jeffrey, as he posted in this thread, doesn't mind a good argument, but he doesn't like losing.
No one has ever been banned for disagreeing with me. People have had posts removed (same as here). Sometimes that devolves into a hissy fit. If they can't handle it, they get banned. Once you're banned, you rarely have anything good to say about the place you were banned from. So unless you have the interaction copy or saw it yourself, you're getting unreliable information. This is why hearsay isn't allowed as court testimony.

And while it's true that, just like anyone else, I don't like losing, it happens so rarely () that I embrace it and all failures. There's no better learning experience from failure.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:35 AM   #16
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Why does it matter? Is this a case of my members is bigger than your members?
Old 08-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Why? And just curious is not a good answer.
When has anyone else had to justify the start of a thread? It's a simple question. There are two website "stats" given that are wildly different.

For all you know, I'd like to write a newsletter all about TrawlerForum. That usually pushes 5,000 people or more to click on whatever we write about (depending on what we say). So perhaps I'd like to see how many new members that would generate as a percentage because, just maybe, it would lessen the continuous negative bashing I get on everything I write.

...there's always wishful thinking...
Old 08-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #18

City: Chicago
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
I think that's worthy of a PM to a moderator versus open dialog and "wondering out loud...."
Old 08-30-2016, 11:45 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmarr View Post
I think that's worthy of a PM to a moderator versus open dialog and "wondering out loud...."
And yet it generated 18 postings within a couple of hours. That's more than a lot of threads generate about trawler-specific subjects!
Old 08-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #20
Guru

OK, it appears that vBulletin has an update counts item in their AdminCP. When that's not done, the counts can get out of whack. The member list is the real list - there are 5,100 members on TrawlerForum. Of course there are - that's the only list that provides each member's identity. The cached counter shown at the bottom of the home page is quickly cached so the member count doesn't need to be queried on every page display. That count can get messed up when people don't validate their account or for a hundred other reasons from vBulletin.

Do any of the admin/moderators here have AdminCP credentials? When was the last time you updated the Update Forum Statistics section on the Update Counters page?

Closed Thread