Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #21
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Docking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

Does this boat actually get to move or is it permanently moored?
I cant see how it could be driven except with look-outs with walkie-talkies. Also, how would you dock this thing in a cross wind?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK
At least it`s an area even the untidiest owner cleans up before pressing the shutter
OTOH I have a hard time picturing a broker even wanting to enter some of the spaces. Lots of built in "potential" though!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #23
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
If your boat looks to good.
If you need an insurance appraisal for tax purposes.

Sometimes if everything works like a charm.
safe, secure, seaworthy.

A devalued boat can save you some money.

A lot of that goes on with houses up here in the sticks.
You see a lot of houses out in the woods with plywood on the outside. Just to keep the tax low.

SD
Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #24
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Both my wife and I have been told by our doctors to watch how much sun we get as we both have some spots already. We both wear cowgirl hats, light long sleeves with plenty of sun screen. Many boats have canvas enclose command bridges, pilot houses, and stern deck. The boat would have look better if it was hard/permanently enclosed rather all blue canvas. If the new owner did no like, they could take some of the canvas off? If we living in sunny climate we would have more coving also. So don’t knock it as some day you might be in the same boat!

Its probable no more difficult docking than the Eagle? You just have to anticipate, and some times wait for the right conditions. There have been many times we have sat for several hours waiting for the tide and/or wind to change.

As for the first original post, that probable did not change the value by much as the cost, several hundred bucks, and/or skill level, low difficulty, to make presentable. I would not even be concerned if the rest of the boat surveyed well.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #25
FF
Guru

"You see a lot of houses out in the woods with plywood on the outside. Just to keep the tax low."

One of our interests is visiting areas and finding the historical tax avoidance methods.

Cape cod would use very narrow windows and shingle the side and rear and only clapboard the front.

Charlston SC charged for doors , so the guilotine window , floor to ceiling the raised with counterweights like a small window and lifted inside the wall above was used.

In NY state no closets would get lower taxes.

Knowing our ancestors thought the local gov was hardly worth the price , makes exploring more fun.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #26
Guru

FF what have you come up with for those of us in the state of sun and taxes?
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #27
Guru

City: Here
If you really want to increase value, you could always add a flying bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Deck 1.jpg  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
If you really want to increase value, you could always add a flying bridge.
Me thinks a VHF mayday call is soon to follow the launching.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #29
Guru

Or if you want more deck space you could find an abandoned 20' sailboat, cut it up the middle and glue half on each side of your "custom" lobsterboat ...
Attached Thumbnails
FREDDY.jpg  
Old 12-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #30
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
The photos are amazing.
It is hard to believe people actually do these things to there boats.

sd
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
Me thinks a VHF mayday call is soon to follow the launching.
Thats what I thought. I took that shot in Toronto Harbour and later saw it in Kingston at the other end of the lake .... on the other hand, no one has seen him since
Old 12-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Am I devaluing my IG by my deck reno? Removing the old teak, repairing and re-glassing the substrate, an extra f/g layer on the bow with nonslip finish (100% weather exposed), fresh teak to the covered side decks and cockpit.
I don`t think so. Sound decks, however finished, are a plus on an IG. And I think the combination both makes sense and is aesthetically good.
Thoughts?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

City: -
I agree Bruce. Removing teak can affect the resale value of some boats, Grand Banks being one of them because to most buyers, teak decks are a big part of the aesthetic appeal of a GB. On the other hand, a teak deck that is failing or worse, causing problems with the subdeck, will devalue a boat a lot more than replacing the teak with fiberglass.

However...... the fiberglass job needs to be really top notch. I've mentioned in the past the re-decking job the owner of an Island Gypsy on our dock did a few years ago. He did it himself with a retired marine engineer acting as his advisor. He removed the teak and installed four layers of glass on top of the subdeck. His advisor said two would be sufficient but the owner went with four. He then painted and applied nonskid.

The project took him a summer and a half, and the end result looks better than the manufacturer would have done at the outset. Plus the deck is now strong enough to land a plane on. Absolutely beautiful job, and I think it added a lot to the value of the boat.

He did the whole main deck. So there is no teak decking at all on the boat unless there is some on the flying bridge. I think no teak at all is a big plus to a lot of buyers these days so I think he did the right thing. I never saw his deck before he removed it so I don't know what shape it was in.

I think some teak and some glass can look very good depending on the design of the boat and how well the break between the glass and the teak is done.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #34
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
When buying my boat...the ads went 2 ways..."got rid of the leaky teaky and all decks are now beautifully glassed...over $10,000 invested and a much better boat...."

or

""beautifully cared for, original teak decks"/Recently done, professionally installed teak deck"...

So 2 ways to go and 2 ways to ask more for a boat...just depended on what a new owner wanted...decks that would last 30-50 years with just a light refinishing every 5-10 years or so...or handsome teak decks needing weekly attention whether just washing or annual major attention.

So neither is a attractor/detractor...it's HOW the teak or glass is done/maintained that is the question...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I agree Bruce. Removing teak can affect the resale value of some boats, Grand Banks being one of them because to most buyers, teak decks are a big part of the aesthetic appeal of a GB. On the other hand, a teak deck that is failing or worse, causing problems with the subdeck, will devalue a boat a lot more than replacing the teak with fiberglass.

However...... the fiberglass job needs to be really top notch. I've mentioned in the past the re-decking job the owner of an Island Gypsy on our dock did a few years ago....

The project took him a summer and a half, and the end result looks better than the manufacturer would have done at the outset... Absolutely beautiful job, and I think it added a lot to the value of the boat.

He did the whole main deck. So there is no teak decking at all on the boat unless there is some on the flying bridge. I think no teak at all is a big plus to a lot of buyers these days so I think he did the right thing.

I think some teak and some glass can look very good depending on the design of the boat and how well the break between the glass and the teak is done.
Marin,the IG has a handy transition point, the side deck steps up about 10inches in height, continuing to the bow. Forward of the step is non slip,final paint applied when the teak(going aft from the step down) is finished.
With some teak laid I think the 2 finishes work together. They better!
The front half of the flybridge is teak protected by a tonneau type cover. After 32 years it is perfect. Conversely the bow was the worst area by far.
It definitely improves appearance and the decks should be sealed. Barring poor finishes, it should benefit value. Not that I plan to sell,I want to enjoy it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 PM   #36
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
So Bruce the finish should be similar to the photo's below.
Attached Thumbnails
wooden boats12 050.jpg   wooden boats12 049.jpg  
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:55 AM   #37

City: Darwin
Vessel Name: Marengo
Vessel Model: Timber 12.79 meters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Of course your right economically speaking, Ron. However you are discounting the enhancement of the craft that the extra $14,000. does.
your forgetting how much he saves on fuel when the wind is blowing
wanderingdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #38
Veteran Member

THat boat looks like a RedNeck 2 story trailer!!
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #39

City: Vero Beach, Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
THat boat looks like a RedNeck 2 story trailer!!
Always thought this was a great redneck boat.
Attached Images

JohnRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #40
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
Always thought this was a great redneck boat.
That's not a red neck boat. That's the flag ship of the VOL NAVY!
I
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote