Old 03-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #1

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Home Heat pump

Just installed three heat pumps. They work well and are very quiete. What is your experience.

Old deckhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
Just installed three heat pumps. They work well and are very quiete. What is your experience.
Should say at the house, not on boat.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:06 AM   #3

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
DECKHAND, sure glad your said "at home" I have 2 on my eagle 32 and couldn't fathom a third as these took up a lot of storage space. When it hits 90+ degrees this summer I'll sure be glad I've got them though. The newer heat pumps with 410a refrigerant seem to be much more efficient than the older models, heating at lower ambient temps. I'll bet you will be well pleased.
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
DECKHAND, sure glad your said "at home" I have 2 on my eagle 32 and couldn't fathom a third as these took up a lot of storage space. When it hits 90+ degrees this summer I'll sure be glad I've got them though. The newer heat pumps with 410a refrigerant seem to be much more efficient than the older models, heating at lower ambient temps. I'll bet you will be well pleased.
Jim,

I thought I would give them a try at home before placing them on the boat. Do you plan to upgrade? It is my understanding that the ones that came out last month are 15% more efficient. Also it would be nice if I could spell heat pump.
Ken
Old 03-31-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Miini split heat pumps with inverter technology are very efficient. On heating cycle they have a COP of 3 or so (kilowatts transferred vs killowatts input) and they continue to work down to near zero F. On cooling they have a SEER in the upper teens.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Miini split heat pumps with inverter technology are very efficient. On heating cycle they have a COP of 3 or so (kilowatts transferred vs killowatts input) and they continue to work down to near zero F. On cooling they have a SEER in the upper teens.

David
Thanks for the info. Is there a brand you can recommend?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:18 PM   #7

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
Land based only but we have installed quite a few mitsubishi units with great results, don't know if they make a marine version or not. As for the ones on the boat mine are only about 2 years old so I hope its awhile before replacement. I was very fortunate that the po of my boat had gone through and up graded almost all systems on the boat
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:56 AM   #8
FF
Guru

All over Euroland the Mitsubishi mini splits are used in cold places Germany , Sweden , Norway , at well below 0-f conditions as the only heat source.for homes and apartments.

Really screws up the look if fine historic buildings , but efficiency over rules looks.

They are seen on boats in the Med and Bosporus with the condenser bolted to the back rail , to heat and cool yachts and small 50-100ft commercial boats.

The hassle in the USA is units with big output requires 240V , as found in most houses the 120V units are limited in amps so the output is not huge.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
All over Euroland the Mitsubishi mini splits are used in cold places Germany , Sweden , Norway , at well below 0-f conditions as the only heat source.for homes and apartments.

Really screws up the look if fine historic buildings , but efficiency over rules looks.

They are seen on boats in the Med and Bosporus with the condenser bolted to the back rail , to heat and cool yachts and small 50-100ft commercial boats.

The hassle in the USA is units with big output requires 240V , as found in most houses the 120V units are limited in amps so the output is not huge.
Sweet, thank you, I will check them out!