Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #1

City: Port Huron, MI
Vessel Name: Meander
Vessel Model: 1983 Grand Banks 36 Classic
HMS Bounty Update

A long but well written article:

Sunk: The Incredible Truth About the 'Bounty,' a Ship That Never Should Have Sailed | Outdoor Adventure | OutsideOnline.com

captrigney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Grand Vizier

"Jan Cameron Miles called his friend’s plan “so amateurish as to be off the scale.” Why, he wondered, didn’t Walbridge turn into port while there was time? “It was recklessly poor judgment,” Miles wrote, “to have done anything but find a heavy-weather berth for your ship, rather than instead intentionally navigate directly toward Sandy.”

A ship that leaked like a sieve at the dock. Add a reckless Captain and a hurricane and the result is predictable. So sad.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Thanks for the link. It amazes me the more I reflect back on it how our two paths ran so parallel and yet tragically parted at the last moment. When we left Boothbay our last act was to cruise by her stern and marvel at her historic significance and beauty. Several days later we both sat at port on the north shore of Long Island Sound and plotted our respective courses of action to deal with the then inevitable Sandy. We did not have an agenda that extended beyond the management of the storm and sought safe harbor in the lee of the north shore of Long Island. It is perhaps his need to follow an agenda that put them on a fatal path toward destruction. Let the lesson be to all of us that that nothing comes before arriving alive.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Wow, almost too in-depth. Great article. I wonder if new restrictions will be imposed on woodies because of Walbridges arrogance.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
To walk the razors edge on your own, solo, is one thing. To put others at such a high degree of risk who had entrusted their lives to your judgement is beyond redemption. Rather than face those demons, or the family members of those who died, many a Captain through the centuries must have lashed himself to the wheel and gone down with the ship.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -
Fascinating reporting and writing. Thanks much for posting the link. As Rick B and others wrote here after the ship sank, she should have never gone to sea and the fact she did was due to the poor judgement and arrogance of the captain and the blind faith of the crew. From the description of the vessel before all this happened, it sounds like she shouldn't have been in the water at all what with the huge leaks and iffy machinery. It's an interesting portrayal of how emotion and attachment can blind a person to objective reality.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Thank you for posting this reoprt on the Bounty.

Unnecessary sadness fills the content of the Bounty’s end-story.

Every leader (Captain) must keep check upon their own capabilities, capabilities of their crew, and capabilities of their vessel in regard to all and any forward thinking plans’ consistently available rational-reality portions.

Even the best of us can at times become too heady regarding the extent of our self-felt prowess.

Lead up and conclusion to this Bounty’s demise is a lesson for the ages.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
I found the very last part of the article the most interesting. They were due in St Petes for a critical meeting on Nov 9th with an outfit that they were hoping would provide financial salvation. If they had held up to wait out the storm, there is no way they would have made it for that meeting/event. I wonder how much of the ultimate problem was that they were pushing to keep that schedule?
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I found the very last part of the article the most interesting. They were due in St Petes for a critical meeting on Nov 9th with an outfit that they were hoping would provide financial salvation. If they had held up to wait out the storm, there is no way they would have made it for that meeting/event. I wonder how much of the ultimate problem was that they were pushing to keep that schedule?
Very perceptive. Makes sense, but I guess we'll never know.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6