Old 07-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #21

City: Madisonville
Vessel Name: Nirvana
Vessel Model: 41' Litton
I think you answered your question. An again, who are the only ones who can control WS?

Dixie Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Oil sells for a price the market will bear. Stop buying it, and the price will fall. Other than taxes and artificial supply tactics the market determines the price.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Sure wish I could believe that, however methinks there is mucho market manipulation at work.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #24
Guru

City: Georgia
Demand isn't the driver with fuel as it is with most any other product. We're going to buy it. Period. We might buy less as the prices go up, but we'll not ever "not buy" it at any price. As well, prices drop and we don't all go out and buy much more than a tank full.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #25

Rambler you've got it. Supply and demand principles never work with necessities; food, meds, water, utilities, etc.. If we had a govt. that was there to work for "us" oil prices would not be controlled by speculators getting rich at our expense.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #26
Guru

City: Georgia
The thing is, that with those other commodities, there are other options. There are lots and lots of various food choices, so the potato grower or the wheat speculator can't control the market. Not so much so with fuel (gas). It's all the same. And some bozo in a suit on the 55th floor says what we'll pay next month.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:28 AM   #27

Amen brother, amen.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #28
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Agreed that there is limited variation in the price of fuel. However, with gas prices increasing at the pump diesel road fuel is coming down. The summer vacation season drives up gas prices along with manipulation. When the heating season is over in the Northeast which corresponds to summer vacation, diesel prices tend to come down. There is limited storage capacity, so the product must be moved.

The different grades of fuel required by each state and limited refinery capacity also come into play. I hate to say it, but if we are to be energy independent we must have fuel prices that justify the higher cost of extracting the fuel.

Hey, I don't like the prices. My boat at cruise uses about 25 gal/hr. That is just the way it is.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #29
Guru

Yep

So much for the "free" market. Enron along with a number of other scandals that have proven over the years the market is no longer operating on a level playing field. As I hear the hue and cry from owned politicians like Rubio crying about regulations I cannot help but reflect...regulations...bring em on, with enforcement and real penalties for real people. Not laws and regulations for the little guy but for the real thieves, huge corporations, financial institutions and the people responsible. Seems more energy is spent making sure I do not flush poop over the side than making sure BP does not have a blowout. Self regulation should be renamed "license to steal". The honor system does not work if there is no honor. The perfect example of an oxymoron is "corporate morality". Also remember this, it is class envy if Tiny Tim says, "may I have some more sir", and class warfare if the serfs rise up and fight back. Now excuse me while I scoot my soap box back into the closet....I gotta go get in line to buy 250 gallons of $4 diesel.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #30
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
It is still a free market. You can speculate on oil contracts just like anyone else. Just keep in mind what keeps the market liquid. It isn't the oil producers or the contract purchasers.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #31
Guru

The "free market" is not free when it is gamed.. When massive amounts of money create artificial shortages, when refineries are shut down for maintaince but really to create a financial opportunity it is not a free market.
Tillerson (CEO-Exxon Mobile) was ask in a Senate Committee meeting (he was flanked by 4 other oil CEO's) why the USA should continue to give he and his henchman 4 BILLION in taxpayer dollars every year insofar as they are (were) experiencing unprecedented profits. His arrogant answer was, "I control a lot of money, I do not have to spend it I the USA, we need that taxpayer money."
Now I read that as treasonist threat against the people and the government of the USA. Within a few days the FBI swat team should have knocked down the gate to his personal compound, network cameras rolling, and dragged him out of bed, in his boxers for the world to see what happens when you threaten our country. We would do this to a low level non violent drug dealer but not to a fat cat that has the nerve to threaten to undermine our economy. I could care less if he would have been convicted of treason, though it would have been humbling, I just would have liked to have seen him do the perp walk and to know he went through the humiliation of being checked into the system. But of course we have 2 systems of Justice in this country, one for the rich and powerful and another for everyone else. Just for the record, 2x Vietnam Vet here, reasonably successful, raised 2 very successful kids and have always played by the rules. This type of stuff and where our country is disgust me....
Old 07-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #32
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Why say that? Only Congress is exempt from insider trading laws.
What's fair about that?
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #33
Guru

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Why say that? Only Congress is exempt from insider trading laws.
What's fair about that?
Bill
My point EXACTLY.....Could not have said it better myself, and it just goes on and on and on........
Old 07-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #34
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
We're doing our share of being fuelish 37 cylinders at a time.
12 in the Sea Ray
2 in the Whaler
6 in the Terrain
6 in the BMW
8 in the Explorer
2 in the lawn tractor
1 in the push mower

I'm pretty sure the market prices are a result more of manipulation than supply and demand but I'm not going to change my lifestyle to accommodate a bunch of friggin politicians and their whims.

It amazes me how people can point fingers at the big oil companies for their profits of around $.04 per gallon and not look cockeyed at the state and federal taxes that amount to a lot more.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #35
Guru

So in retrospect. You all should have bought smaller boats and used the left over money to buy oil stocks. Had you all done that, even with more expensive fuel there would be no pain and enough money to keep chugging along.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #36
FF
Guru

>.I believe it is greed that controls was street<

Oil prices change due to the SPOT price of oil changing.

About 95% of oil is exchanged on futures markets , as that is the lowest cost method over the years.

Large users like airlines will buy forward 0% to 50% to 90% of their projected fuel use.
The SPOT market is how they fill in with current actual demand..

With oil prices in decline , even here in expensive CT the price is falling , and expected to fall further .
Winter fuel is cheaper to make.

The long term price if fuel should continue down, the world economy is staggering under the huge debt load ,slowing demand and advances in extraction are progressing.

One example is shale oil, currently with chemicals about 35% of the oil is captured.
The advance is to use microwave heads , heats the gooey oil but not the rock (like in your microwave oven , the plate doesnt get warm) and the recovery rate goes up to 85%.

Not bad cheaper to make electric power than high pressure steam , and no chemicals left behind.

Output almost 300% higher , for less investment.

With the inflation desired by govs in debt to their great great grandchildren , probably buck a gallon diesel wont come back, esp with oil co. showing a 4%-6% profit and govs capturing 18%+ of the price of oil.

If oil gets cheaper as expected , the govs will simply steal more.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

If oil gets cheaper as expected , the govs will simply steal more.
Fuel prices are expected to rise significantly in California in 2015 due to higher taxes, thanks to the Democratic-controlled governor's office and legislature, supposed friends of the "common man."
Old 09-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #38
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
We're doing our share of being fuelish 37 cylinders at a time.
12 in the Sea Ray
2 in the Whaler
6 in the Terrain
6 in the BMW
8 in the Explorer
2 in the lawn tractor
1 in the push mower
Oil companies, middle eastern countries, Washington DC - heck, it's none of those, you're the one driving up the demand and price of fuel for all of us!

Uh oh, well, let me think:

8 in the Escalade
6 in the Lexus
6 in the Mercedes
16 in the Carver
6 in the Bayliner
4 in the John Deere
Chainsaw
Weed whacker
Power washer
Leaf blower

Never mind. We now return to our regular programming.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

Fuel prices are expected to rise significantly in California in 2015 due to higher taxes....
I have no idea why anybody lives in that state.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:37 AM   #40
FF
Guru

I have no idea why anybody lives in that state.

Prison guards retire at $125,000 a year!

FF is offline   Reply With Quote