Old 09-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #1
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Has it come to this?

I am a reasonable person.

I do try to keep my own preconceptions in check when faced by mind boggling incomprehensible dribble, however.....sometimes it all gets too much.

Today, I walked into a large National Marine Chandler to stock up for my annual, weekend of boat antifouling. I came across a new International hard anti foul paint called ultra something or other. Never having seen it before I grabbed a can and wandered up to the counter to ask the usual questions, which amounted to, was it any better than my usual hard anti foul paint that I have used since JC was a boy.

"Couldn't say "was the reply. What do you mean I said, you've not used it? No he said I can't tell you what it is used for.What do you mean you can't tell me what it is used for, I said, puzzled. He then said that he was not allowed to tell me what the paint could be used for, mentioning they could be sued if the product was not used as intended.

I just looked at him and said, let's read what it says on the can. Sure enough there it was, the paint was specifically designed for antifouling props and running gear.He just looked at me and said I can't confirm that, it's an OH&S(Occupational Health & Safety) issue!

I sometimes feel that my life has wandered into one of those surreal Monty Python skits.

(Mods please feel free to move this to OTDE, as on rereading, it doesn't have much to do with anti fouling paint)
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
Guru

City: Georgia
In today's litigious society, retailers end up being wrong just for stating what the can label says. "You told me......" And really, by the time it gets to court, the manufacturer is long out of business. So that just leaves the National Marine Chandler to make the victim hole. The best policy is "we just sell the stuff".

Good luck, and let us know how it works.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
In today's litigious society, retailers end up being wrong just for stating what the can label says. "You told me......" And really, by the time it gets to court, the manufacturer is long out of business. So that just leaves the National Marine Chandler to make the victim hole. The best policy is "we just sell the stuff".

Good luck, and let us know how it works.
No what it really means is find a local Chandler who allows their staff to use their brains and provide proper customer service. Even if it does cost a couple more cents.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
If the staff cannot advise me then why go to a brick and mortar store when I can order online. Thus the downward spiral of in-store sales continues.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
If the staff cannot advise me then why go to a brick and mortar store when I can order online. Thus the downward spiral of in-store sales continues.
That's my point. We go to the Chandler expecting service. After all that is all they have to sell. Otherwise why go, we can just open our notebook.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
The next time I am in the local West Marine, I will ask a similar question. I'd be interested if I get the same response. They seem to have an opinion on everything.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
You could go to a "brick & mortar store" to save on shipping cost.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote