Old 09-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Here We Go Again

Welcome to the new NFL Season - the 100th.

Jags contract Nick Foles during the off-season to finally get a decent QB.

Breaks his collar bone in the first quarter of the first game of the season and may miss most of the season.

[Rookie WSU QB did OK though].

Ah well. Need to buy some paper bags and look forward to a early draft pick - AGAIN!

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
It was definitely NOT a good day for Florida teams. I do feel bad for Foles though.
Attached Images

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #3

City: Hilton Head Island
I grew up watching the Cleveland Browns,,,,,, I am still waiting for that title Vinnie was going to get us.....
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I truly do appreciate the NFL! Nothing clears the AICW on a Sunday like the NFL. Corporation Washington playing corporation Philadelphia, etc. Saw this in the grocery store the other day and wonder how brainwashed you had to be to pay extra for chips with you team logo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190908_150619.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	93800

The absolute best boating day of the year is super bowl Sunday. On the East coast, it's a night game and the possessed masses can't even think straight enough in the morning to go boating. I never really appreciated the NFL till I boated on super bowl Sunday. Keep up the good work!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #5
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Then there's Roethlisberger out for the season, Brees out for 6 weeks .... The NFL's tough on QBs this year.

Lots of empty seats at a lot of games this weekend.
sbu22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: South Louisiana
SOOOOO which one of these teams will pick up Kaepernick
latravcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
Guru

Foles' collarbone lag screwed together - out for min 8 weeks. I don't think any team is interested in Kaepernick.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Go St Nick!
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently southbound in Georgia.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
SOOOOO which one of these teams will pick up Kaepernick
Apparently they'll play guys who don't belong in the NFL, don't even belong in the XFL or CFL or any FL but won't give Kaepernick a chance, even though he's a proven winner. He'd be the perfect guy to step in for Cam Newton. Meanwhile abusers and others get chance after chance.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
Guru

However you feel about Kaepernick, IMHO he violated rule 1 - don't piss off the boss. In his case, the boss is the NFL.

Billy Mitchell was court-marshalled because he violated rule 1. Happens all the time.

Doesn't make it right, but there it is.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #11
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Kaepernic wasn't offered a better contract to keep him a 49er for good reasons. If he was as great as he thinks he is, another team would pick him up. He is more trouble than he's worth. His antics has cost the NFL attendance and everybody involved will eventually get less money because of him. I haven't watched the NFL since the first knee. And if the NFL doesn't solve the knee problem permanently, I never will again. Kaepernic hates the US. Maybe he should go somewhere else.

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Kaepernic hates the US. Maybe he should go somewhere else.
His opinions are different to yours. There is no reason to suggest an American citizen with different opinions to you needs to leave the US anymore than you would accept people saying you should leave the US because you have a different opinion to them.

Both examples I would indeed suggest are un-American.

Think about that.

Anyway - back to the JAGS.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:49 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
His opinions are different to yours. There is no reason to suggest an American citizen with different opinions to you needs to leave the US anymore than you would accept people saying you should leave the US because you have a different opinion to them.

Both examples I would indeed suggest are un-American.

Think about that.

Anyway - back to the JAGS.
Wifey B: The Jags have one thing going for them, they aren't the Dolphins. Now the Dolphins accumulating a boat load of draft choices, but who actually believes they'll use them intelligently?
Old 09-19-2019, 03:17 AM   #14
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Kaepernic wasn't offered a better contract to keep him a 49er for good reasons. If he was as great as he thinks he is, another team would pick him up. He is more trouble than he's worth. His antics has cost the NFL attendance and everybody involved will eventually get less money because of him. I haven't watched the NFL since the first knee. And if the NFL doesn't solve the knee problem permanently, I never will again. Kaepernic hates the US. Maybe he should go somewhere else.

And I could say that you hate the US because you selectively support the Constitution, you know, that document that assures all of our freedoms. The fact is, I think, you love the US just as Kapernik does but simply have a different opinion and an equal right to do so.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:28 AM   #15
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
He could arguably burn the US flag on the field within his constitutional rights. Still wouldn't promote his NFL employability.

I personally think the man is an ass, but I respect his right to be one. And I too am well within my rights to think that he is.

Haven't watched an NFL game since February 1996...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
And I could say that you hate the US because you selectively support the Constitution, you know, that document that assures all of our freedoms. The fact is, I think, you love the US just as Kapernik does but simply have a different opinion and an equal right to do so.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #16

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Mikala
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Once upon a time, a very long time ago, NFL players actually represented their team and city. Now they represent themselves, many with complete disregard for the terms of their contract with their employer. Kapernick got what he deserved without remorse.

Is there a business owner or manager here that would encourage and tolerate selfish rogue employees whose actions severely affect the bottom line?
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: South Louisiana
Quote:
If he was as great as he thinks he is, another team would pick him up. He is more trouble than he's worth.

The two main reasons why another team did not pick him up
latravcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala View Post
Once upon a time, a very long time ago, NFL players actually represented their team and city. Now they represent themselves, many with complete disregard for the terms of their contract with their employer. Kapernick got what he deserved without remorse.

Is there a business owner or manager here that would encourage and tolerate selfish rogue employees whose actions severely affect the bottom line?
The same employers who up sticks and leave a town in the middle of the night, change their name, and set up shop in another city which gave them a sweet deal.

Heck the Raiders did it twice!
Old 09-19-2019, 02:12 PM   #19

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Mikala
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
The same employers who up sticks and leave a town in the middle of the night, change their name, and set up shop in another city which gave them a sweet deal.

Heck the Raiders did it twice!

In the middle of the night? Really? And this happened to Kaepernick how many times?

For-profit businesses relocate frequently to improve their position in the market. They only get sweetheart deals because idiot politicians and bureaucrats are willing to give it to them.

But none of this has anything to do with or substantiates Kapís (and others) behavior.
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #20
Guru

First, Kaepernick never disregarded any terms of his contract with his employer. Those terms don't say anything about standing for the National Anthem, nor is it a requirement even today. It's not even a requirement to be on the field.

Second, this is attacking a man. I'd suggest before doing that too widely to see what he's done with his life since then, all the good he has done. He's worked hard for social justice and many organizations, he's donated over $1 million to a variety of charities while getting matches from other athletes. He's also received the following awards:
2017 GQ Magazine Citizen of the Year
2017 Sports Illustrated Muhammad Ali Legacy Award
2017 American Civil Liberties Union Eason Monroe Courageous Advocate Award
2017 Puffin/Nation Institute Prize for Creative Citizenship
2018 Amnesty International Ambassador of Conscience Award
2018 Harvard University W. E. B. Du Bois Medal
It's fine to disagree with all he's done and to dislike him, but he relinquished the opportunity to earn millions to kneel for something he believed in. How many of us would do the same?

As to skills and meriting a chance to play, if you've seen some of the horrible quarterbacks playing today and watched any of his play, and the object was to win, you'd give him a chance. Incidentally, the other player involved in the suit against the league has been allowed to play since the settlement.

If he's anti-patriotic, anti-American, then so is everyone who has ever protested from Martin Luther King to those who protested the Vietnam War to those who have protested inadequate care for military returning from war.

The question was raised as to what would others do as employers for those who disregard rules. Well, remembering he didn't disobey any rules, I'll still answer. We do have rules for workplace behavior. They do not allow any political or social activism while on the job and in the workplace. We would handle it within those rules. Now, 5 minutes before or after work they can do as they wish. However, we also do not require any of our employees to do any patriotic or social activities. We don't bring flags or causes into the work place.