Here We Go Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're right but this is still the Trawler Forum. Non boating topics are allowed but...

Harbor Chat Posting Rules and Guidelines

Friendly, professional, informal exchange of "NON-boating" topics. Political comments, government policy, weaponry, religious and social issue discussions are off-limits in this forum.

Correct, and this thread was about Foles busting his shoulder in the first quarter with his new team. So hardly meeting any if those forbidden areas right?

Correct, and this thread was about Foles busting his shoulder in the first quarter with his new team. So hardly meeting any if those forbidden areas right?

Wifey B: Foles can only play in Philadelphia anyway. Doesn't everyone know that? Jacksonville will one day pay Philly to take him back and then he'll be great again. :)

Of the newer young guns, Mahomes is fun to watch. He was entertaining in college as well.

Of the newer young guns, Mahomes is fun to watch. He was entertaining in college as well.

What I find interesting is all the young quarterbacks. There was a philosophy for decades that you had to pay your dues, understudy for three years. Look at Rodgers waiting behind Favre. But this Sunday you had:

Minshew, 6th Round, starts 3rd game of season, looks good.
Allen, Buffalo, started last year as rookie.
Mahomes, KC, forced by Reid to wait a year but incredible when starting year 2.
Darnold, given the Jets reign as a rookie, but mono.
Jones, NYG, starts game 3 and looks like a different team.
Wentz, Eagles, started as rookie but injuries had sidetracked.
Allen, undrafted by Panthers, looked great.
Watson, Houston, 3rd year but missed much of first due to injury.
Goff, LA, started as rookie.
Rudolph, Pitt, 3rd round pick last year but didn't play. Looked pretty good.
Mayfield, Cleveland, started as rookie last year.
Prescott, Cowboys, 3rd year but started first game as rookie, 4th round pick.
Murray, Cardinals, started game 1 of rookie year.
Jackson, Baltimore, quickly took over from Flacco last year.

I'm sure I've missed someone but that's 14 teams and then some other young QB's who had to wait a little. Point is QB's are coming from college better prepared and the practice of holding on to older, bad QB's, sticking with those like Eli Manning, like a Cam Newton who shows the wear and tear, like Jacksonville stuck with so many lousy QB's, may become a thing of the past. Don't know why Redskins are saving Haskins. Flacco can't last long in Denver.

It seems to have become much easier to find a young QB who can play. I don't know if Minshew is the answer for JAX, but I feel pretty certain Foles wasn't.

It is refreshing to see the new crop of QB’s. They are fearless out there, which is a reflection on their college experience. I think we may see some slippage in the crazy performances we’ve seen once opposing teams have some game film to work with, but the future looks bright.

It reminds me of the onslaught of great young talent that entered the PGA a few years ago.

It is refreshing to see the new crop of QB’s. They are fearless out there, which is a reflection on their college experience. I think we may see some slippage in the crazy performances we’ve seen once opposing teams have some game film to work with, but the future looks bright.

It reminds me of the onslaught of great young talent that entered the PGA a few years ago.

Yes, scouting them will challenge them but we're seeing younger innovative coaches too. I remember when they said, "This guy can't play yet because during college he only worked from the shotgun." Well, duh, use the shotgun in the pros then. College offenses evolved faster than the pros. You can see the defense and the field much better from the shotgun. The other thing is giving the QB more freedom to check off and change plays. Get to the line quickly, send someone in motion, figure out the defense and adjust the play. P Manning did it but for some reason coaches thought he was the only one smart enough.

Young QB's sure cost a lot less too. I can't believe the Foles contract but then I can't believe Cousins. In Baseball you look at value above replacement in sabermetrics. Well, Cousins could be replaced by someone making rookie scale any day. Much like they've figured out on running backs.

History just made on MNF

Congratulations to Drew Brees, 540 career touchdown passes new NFL record!
:dance: :dance: :dance:
:thumb:

Brees is the man!

Brees is the man!

Wifey B: And for anyone who ever wonders why some teams win and some don't. :confused:

In the final game of 2005, playing for San Diego, Drew Brees was injured. Dirty play, hit while on the ground, torn labrum. :mad:

San Diego offered an illusionary 10 years for $50 million. Problem was only $2 million guaranteed.

Miami and New Orleans were interested, but Miami's doctors said don't sign him and they pulled out. I think the official term is coitus interruptus. :rofl: Oh, they traded for a washed up Dante Culpepper instead. :nonono:

New Orleans took a chance on this quarterback who no one else trusted his shoulder to return to form.

Well, to be fair, it's only held up 14 years since then. :rolleyes:

Saban must still be kicking himself in the butt over that. But, it is a Brees/Peyton show - a true synergystic relationship.

Saban must still be kicking himself in the butt over that. But, it is a Brees/Peyton show - a true synergystic relationship.

Brees/Payton.

Sean Payton is also the one responsible for Tony Romo's discovery and development. Who knows how good Romo might have been had Payton stayed. I think still one of Jerry Jones biggest regrets was letting Payton go. He could have had Payton as his head coach instead of one final year of mediocrity under Parcells followed by some very good Wade Phillips years and one disastrous year, followed by the mediocrity of Garrett. Oh and avoided Scott Linehan and Jason Garrett offenses where the defense knows the calls.

Would it have been Romo/Payton instead?

However you feel about Kaepernick, IMHO he violated rule 1 - don't piss off the boss. In his case, the boss is the NFL.

Billy Mitchell was court-marshalled because he violated rule 1. Happens all the time.

Doesn't make it right, but there it is.

...and rule number 2: He is in the entertainment business. Don't piss off the fans.

MacArthur

Back
Top Bottom