Heart Health

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of my dock neighbors is a cardiac surgeon. My boat brokers wife is a cardiac nurse. The surgeon suggested that I seek a second opinion for my own issue but not from the top rated here in chicago(Northwestern), but an emerging, also university related teaching hospital (Evanston). He said that many "top rated" rest on their laurels and you are another number. The emerging one wants to win and is usually more agressive in their discovery of what to do for the patient

Well, could be true or could be where they are active. The major teaching hospitals are often just more knowledgeable of the latest methods. Regardless, if one hospital and set of doctors was not finding success, I'd go to another, even if the first ones were at the most renowned facility ever. Sometimes even in the same practice one is ahead of the other.

Holy crap, Marty. I had no idea. Remember you haven't taken William to Chattanooga yet. I will be offering prayers for a speedy and complete recovery. B & B is right on this one. If this is not successful it is time to start searching for alternatives. It's not that far up to the Mayo Clinic. Hope to see you back up and running in the near future.

One of my dock neighbors is a cardiac surgeon. My boat brokers wife is a cardiac nurse. The surgeon suggested that I seek a second opinion for my own issue but not from the top rated here in chicago(Northwestern), but an emerging, also university related teaching hospital (Evanston). He said that many "top rated" rest on their laurels and you are another number. The emerging one wants to win and is usually more agressive in their discovery of what to do for the patient
It's all abt competition, at big hospital there's a pack of wolves tryin to get ur job... Way better ,,, there's no resting on past accomplishments

Thanks everyone for thoughts,prayers and suggestions . I have what is called a CTO (chronic total occlusion ) . I won't die from it but it is uncomfortable with almost daily angina pain ( that's angina with an A ):facepalm:. I can work in my shop and even on the boat as long as I pace myself . Walking around the block , upstairs or a stressful situation will almost always bring on angina pain . I take a couple slow release nitroglycerin pills everyday but when it hits hard I have to take the mean stuff under the tongue . My goal is to try and get off this stuff if possible but not sure it is . I've had two open heart surgeries one in 2005 and another in 2015 . The blockage I have now is in area only reachable through a collateral artery . That's the reason for the last two procedures .
I have a wonderful life with a great family and very very special wife of 43 years and all you guys .Life is good . Let's get back to boating .

Joy and I are going to the yard to check on William's progress today . We're hoping to get back in the water soon for a late fall cruise .

Last edited:
Late fall cruising on the MIghty Tennessee is glorious. Have a good one.

Good luck! Great attitude!! U will succeed

My home port , great kills harbor, Staten Island yacht sales,

Marty, Sorry to hear about your health problems. It makes me realize how blessed my family and I have been. Thanks for that. Our prayers will be with you. Get yourself fixed so you can get back to fixing your boat.

Marty, Sorry to hear about your health problems. It makes me realize how blessed my family and I have been. Thanks for that. Our prayers will be with you. Get yourself fixed so you can get back to fixing your boat.
I just realized I could have phrased it better when I said" get yourself fixed". LOL You know what I meant.

I second the suggestion to get to a higher rated hospital. Two years ago I was diagnosed with throat cancer and went to my local hospital for surgery. they did not get it all and it spread. They were going to go on a very radical chemo program. I went home and did a google search for "best cancer hospitals in the US". Went to Penn in Philadelphia (they are ranked #7) and am now completely cured. I met a guy in New Hampshire last year that had the same diagnosis I had and he stayed with his local hospital. He now has liver, kidney, and lung cancer along with his throat cancer.
John

had a friend , was misdiagnosed in small hospital in jersey city nj,turned out he had aggressive type of brain cancer wasnt diagnosed till he went to sloan kettering ... Hes a miracle so far was just told hes cancer free! hope he stays that way!!! Hope same for you too! CARPE DIEM MY FRIEND !!! seize the day

Well, could be true or could be where they are active. The major teaching hospitals are often just more knowledgeable of the latest methods. Regardless, if one hospital and set of doctors was not finding success, I'd go to another, even if the first ones were at the most renowned facility ever. Sometimes even in the same practice one is ahead of the other.

Ditto twofold. New stuff comes along all the time and frankly this is what I'd want:

I want a doctor who does THIS SPECIFIC procedure multiple times a day, not a once-a-month guy. Technically the infrequent doc may know his stuff however I'd want someone who does it all the time.

Short story: Son had multiple surgeries trying to fix his eyes. The initial doc did great work but it wasn't enough. He told me he knew how to do the next surgery however we needed an expert who does that particular procedure all the time. So he sent us to a colleague. She did that one operation.

I'd advise the same for you. It's not enough to know how. Experience is critical in delicate operations.

Joy and I are going to the yard to check on William's progress today . We're hoping to get back in the water soon for a late fall cruise .

I feel for you with the heart issues. I lost my boy to a heart attack to worry about that sort of thing. You are in my prayers.

And you've got your Joy plus William. A man cannot ask for much more. I love William. She's a fine boat.

Escape the white coats and get home fast. Here's to a speedy recovery and wishing for you to have your miracle....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom