Old 09-19-2016, 06:30 PM   #41
City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I second the suggestion to get to a higher rated hospital. Two years ago I was diagnosed with throat cancer and went to my local hospital for surgery. they did not get it all and it spread. They were going to go on a very radical chemo program. I went home and did a google search for "best cancer hospitals in the US". Went to Penn in Philadelphia (they are ranked #7) and am now completely cured. I met a guy in New Hampshire last year that had the same diagnosis I had and he stayed with his local hospital. He now has liver, kidney, and lung cancer along with his throat cancer.

johnma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #42
City: staten island
Vessel Name: ladylisa2
Vessel Model: hatteras
had a friend , was misdiagnosed in small hospital in jersey city nj,turned out he had aggressive type of brain cancer wasnt diagnosed till he went to sloan kettering ... Hes a miracle so far was just told hes cancer free! hope he stays that way!!! Hope same for you too! CARPE DIEM MY FRIEND !!! seize the day

mark10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:52 PM   #43
City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, could be true or could be where they are active. The major teaching hospitals are often just more knowledgeable of the latest methods. Regardless, if one hospital and set of doctors was not finding success, I'd go to another, even if the first ones were at the most renowned facility ever. Sometimes even in the same practice one is ahead of the other.
Ditto twofold. New stuff comes along all the time and frankly this is what I'd want:

I want a doctor who does THIS SPECIFIC procedure multiple times a day, not a once-a-month guy. Technically the infrequent doc may know his stuff however I'd want someone who does it all the time.

Short story: Son had multiple surgeries trying to fix his eyes. The initial doc did great work but it wasn't enough. He told me he knew how to do the next surgery however we needed an expert who does that particular procedure all the time. So he sent us to a colleague. She did that one operation.

I'd advise the same for you. It's not enough to know how. Experience is critical in delicate operations.

Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Joy and I are going to the yard to check on William's progress today . We're hoping to get back in the water soon for a late fall cruise .
I feel for you with the heart issues. I lost my boy to a heart attack to worry about that sort of thing. You are in my prayers.

And you've got your Joy plus William. A man cannot ask for much more. I love William. She's a fine boat.

Escape the white coats and get home fast. Here's to a speedy recovery and wishing for you to have your miracle....

Janice aboard Seaweed, living the good life afloat...
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote