Heads up Alaskan's!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Since I'm perched right below Alaska's panhandle on BC's north coast, I thought I'd let you know that I've been noticing some ***early*** signs of spring this last week;

Varied Thrushes calling in the morning,

a bug flew by a couple days ago, and yesterday,

the new years first puffy-topped cumulous clouds.

(I know, I know, we still have February and March to get through, but all the early signs are there.)

The Bald Eagles haven't started riding thermals and the pussy willows haven't come out, but spring is coming :)

Your cup is half full this morning. It was 8 degrees F here this morning so mine still half empty.

Hey MurrayM,

You've got CABIN FEVER!

It was nice here (western WA) too. Low 40s and nice sunshine that made it seem like 50 degrees. BUT it was (once again) twenty someth'in last night. And we've seen Thrushes too. Of course we're WELL south of you now.
I've been noticing it's been very warm in Thorne Bay (SE AK) for awhile. Near 40 day and night. But it's JANUARY Murray and spring's a long way off. And next week it could just as not be 10 degrees in Thorne Bay.

Winter is better now that we've got TF and FB.

Hang in there Murray.

Last edited:
Yep been a heat wave for the last week or so.

We haven't run the Iditarod yet so lot's of winter left.

After last year with 45 ft of snow I will take this any day.

Sd

Still have Fur Rondy, then the iditarod, then winter king derby in Homer........

But this weekend I will be on the Columbia River chasing Sturgeon and steelies! We can even keep a Sturgeon now that they lifted the ban on keeping some. The weather guy says low 50s for Sunday and Monday....

I don't know guy's...things are strange down here. It should be way below freezing, and there should be 7 feet of snow on the ground.

Well, the snow is gone, it's barely freezing at night, today I heard a Fox Sparrow singing, some mushrooms were in our hedge, and the iris plants facing south are starting to sprout.

W...E....I.....R......D............

That means early Black Bear season!!!! The pic below was 2007 when the weather was screwy in PWS in April. What a great year that was!

Attachments

• A nice day on PWS 4-28-2007.jpg
    A nice day on PWS 4-28-2007.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Chugach Range PWS 4-29-2007.jpg
    Chugach Range PWS 4-29-2007.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 63
Early spring weirdness is continuing into February. The mountain ash buds are starting to green up, and I saw an earthworm today. Easily over a month ahead of schedule...

The ospreys are back in town, a few weeks early. Maybe because of such a mellow winter. The "traditional" time to look for them in this area is St. Paddy's Day.

In the last couple weeks of February I've seen Canada Geese flying north, Falcons (who arrive with small songbirds) Bald Eagles riding thermals for the first time in 4 months, and both a Crow and a Raven flying with sticks in their beaks for building their nests.

We're quite a few weeks ahead too...

It was 60 degrees here in Western Washington today.

Back
Top Bottom