Old 01-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Have Chevy Trucks Forsaken The White Collar Men?

Am I the only one who has noticed that the recent Chevy truck ads have only included "good ol' guy" rednecks in their truck ads? No women, nobody in suits, nobody who looks like he/she works in a professional capacity? You, only the good ol' fat rednecks addressing their love for the new trucks in their mumbling, stumbling, kicking their feet, shuffling around with their hands in their pockets. All the while mumbling their unintelligible phrases and "man sounds" as the drool over new trucks.

Where are the "Women Matter" groups and the "White Collar People Matter" groups?

You've been tossed to the curb by Chevy's truck division. Sorry. It would appear you no longer matter to Chevy.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If you changed channel from reality TVs Swamp People and Monster Trucks Rally, you might see some different commercials. Just saying....

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
you may be more of a GMC. Denali type anyway . very nice trucks .my boss has one.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

Ted, I'm watching the Barrett-Jackson auction on Velocity TV. We're down here in Phoenix and spent Thursday with some friends wandering around the Barrett-Jackson auction grounds. With about 5,000 of our closest friends.

Being an avid people watcher, I was very interested in the crowd. Very upscale, very affluent, mostly white, mostly males, but I don't think I saw many who looked like they stumbled out of a Chevy truck ad.

And for those who might be interested, we did get a few things at the auction: Two hot dogs, a couple of beers and tired feet.

For those of you who have never been to a Barrett-Jackson auction, I'd suggest you try to make it. Phoenix is their largest auction. They have over 1,500 cars crossing the auction block and over a MILLION square feet under their tents. This was my third trip to the auction and every time has been special.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
Guru

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
An ad was just on, Chevy trucks, 2 women 2 men. I have not noticed their bias in their ads. My last two trucks were Fords after a lifetime of Chevys.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Personally, I wish truck ads (and truck designs, and truck prices!) would go back to the old days, when the whole point of a truck was to do WORK. Not to impress people with designer interiors and opulent option packages.

I can actually remember buying a Chevy truck which was the cheapest new vehicle on the lot. Now THAT was a long time ago!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #7
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Personally, I wish truck ads (and truck designs, and truck prices!) would go back to the old days, when the whole point of a truck was to do WORK. Not to impress people with designer interiors and opulent option packages.

I can actually remember buying a Chevy truck which was the cheapest new vehicle on the lot. Now THAT was a long time ago!
Yea, truck prices, especially pickups, have gone berserk! Friend of mine just bought a new basic ford for $52K. I've haven't spent that much on all the cars trucks I've owned in my life.

I'm happy with a good old used Suburban. Cheap, do a LOT of work and last long. I'm on #3 over 35 years and spent a totally of $20k buying all of them.

Also, I don't watch ads, so don't know what's popular.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

See now... I am 100% opposite. I am a FIRM believer that every family needs to have a truck (or a van) as a part of their fleet. We have always had one and we use it so much, I don’t know how anyone can be without. HOWEVER! I also want it to be my daily vehicle. I don’t want to own, insure, and maintain a third vehicle just to have a truck. Therefore, having it be comfortable and loaded with all the modern amenities as cars is a HUGE plus for me. It is my main vehicle, even for around town and back and forth to work.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #9

City: Long Beach
Vessel Model: '81 CHB34
My wife drives a new pickup truck. I drive a minivan. Many of my corporate job peers drive crew cab pickup trucks. I work in the ad business including a few pickup campaigns in the past. I would assume the grunt ads are attempting to recapture a lost demographic, the original labor centric customer.

My previous Ford pickup had a sticker price of $65,000. The corporate workers can afford the “work truck,” while jobsite Joe drives a used Honda Civic.
winty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
GFC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
See now... I am 100% opposite. I am a FIRM believer that every family needs to have a truck (or a van) as a part of their fleet. We have always had one and we use it so much, I don’t know how anyone can be without.
it's called Hertz or U-Haul.

We have a GMC Terrain only because we use it to tow our Whaler. If I need to move something that won't fit in the Terrain I can rent a trailer from U-Haul or if it's bigger than that I can rent a truck from them or from Hertz. Or borrow a pickup from a friend and pay him with a jug. That's a whole lot cheaper and easier than licensing and insuring a vehicle I don't use for its intended purpose 99% of the time.

I've gotten by without a pickup truck for many years and have done just fine.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Am I the only one who has noticed that the recent Chevy truck ads have only included "good ol' guy" rednecks in their truck ads? No women, nobody in suits, nobody who looks like he/she works in a professional capacity? You, only the good ol' fat rednecks addressing their love for the new trucks in their mumbling, stumbling, kicking their feet, shuffling around with their hands in their pockets. All the while mumbling their unintelligible phrases and "man sounds" as the drool over new trucks.

Where are the "Women Matter" groups and the "White Collar People Matter" groups?

You've been tossed to the curb by Chevy's truck division. Sorry. It would appear you no longer matter to Chevy.
Well, Mike, after owning several Chevy trucks I thought about considering some other brands. That is until seeing the advertising. Women Matter and White Collar People Matter groups, really now. After seeing their latest ad campaign it was like they shot me right between the eyes. Yep, I'm proud to say that I am a typical tobacco chewing, snuff dipping, dirt kicking, about half rebel southern boy. I've never seen a tire that was too big for my truck.

I'm thinking of getting a big honking diesel powered Chevy pickup. You know, something that will pull my hogs to market, but will also tow my Airstream out West. Yessir, big horsepower and big torque is what I need. Bring it on Chevy. Let the other brands water down for the women and white collar men groups.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #12
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
GM niche marketing. White collar guys are supposed to buy Escalades.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #13
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
GM niche marketing. White collar guys are supposed to buy Escalades.

I thought Escalades were aimed at rappers, pimps and wannabes.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #14
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post

I thought Escalades were aimed at rappers, pimps and wannabes.
Only if you swap out the stock wheels and install neon blue undercarriage lights.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
The whole idea of the Aussie" ute"(utility vehicle) was that it could be worked on the farm all week and take the family to church on Sunday.Things have moved on somewhat since then.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #16
GFC
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Well, Mike, after owning several Chevy trucks I thought about considering some other brands. That is until seeing the advertising. Women Matter and White Collar People Matter groups, really now. After seeing their latest ad campaign it was like they shot me right between the eyes. Yep, I'm proud to say that I am a typical tobacco chewing, snuff dipping, dirt kicking, about half rebel southern boy. I've never seen a tire that was too big for my truck.
Well shucks. I can't rightly say that I'm a redneck but I can tell from your autobiographical description that you're the kind of guy I'd love to sit down over a couple of cold PBR's and swap lies for a few hours.

When you hook up your Airstream if you find yourself headed toward SE Washington give me a shout.

First round's on me.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #17
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Mike, I was just having a little fun with you. Now, you've gone and ruined it.
Maybe not SE Washington next year, but maybe southern AZ next winter. We'll just have to see. What? Me lie? Surely you must be thinking of someone else.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
See now... I am 100% opposite. I am a FIRM believer that every family needs to have a truck (or a van) as a part of their fleet. We have always had one and we use it so much, I don’t know how anyone can be without.
Wifey B: Can't possibly see why I'd need a truck.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #19
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Speaking of pickup trucks who were, why did, the IDIOTS at Ford drop the Ranger midsize trucks from the product line? I had a couple of F150's they are now bigger than I need so had to go to Toyota Tacoma it is fine but I'd rather a Ford Ranger with 6' box.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:11 PM   #20

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Cant ever have too many trucks. I've got two, an 04 Dodge 2500 diesel, quad cab long bed with about 250k miles on it. I've replaced a couple things, but its a beast. Goes anywhere and, knock on wood, has never left me stranded. Even gets 20 mpg.

Just picked up a new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. 4 door, short box, 4 wheel drive. So for, what a great truck. And, its getting almost 24 mpg.
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote