Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #1

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler
Guns onboard

do you keep a gun onboard? if so what kind do you have and what are your thoughts?

im going to purchase the Mossberg J-I-C mariner

attached is a link..

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/41020

Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Guru

RE: Guns onboard

This subject is a can of worms.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
KMA

City: Merritt Island

Albin - I have exactly that model for my boat defense weapon.* You'll love it... and the price shown in your add is excellent!

Don't bother using the leatherman that comes in the kit... it's trash.

You can also get a folding stock for it, making practicing much more comfortable than shooting from the hip!
Old 02-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Guns onboard

I keep a Snake Charmer 4/10 shotgun.
Stainless. Little short thing You can one hand it. I sometimes fish for Halibut. Over 50 lbs I shoot befor bringing it aboard.
They tend to thrash around a bit. Gotta be carefull though. I once shot the hook off
SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 24th of February 2010 09:19:53 AM
Old 02-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

I'm with SD on this one. The Snake Charmer with rifle slugs is an excellent gun to have on board. I saw my first one while Halibut fishing in Alaska and it was used as SD indicated, quieting a large halibut before bringing it aboard. They can really tear up a boat! (The fish that is.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0137.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1771  
Old 02-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #6
Guru

Guns onboard

[img]download.spark?ID=670234&aBID=115492[/img]Walt,
You messing around with young women?
I'm telling the Admiral.
SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 24th of February 2010 11:11:44 AM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 24th of February 2010 11:13:59 AM

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 24th of February 2010 12:05:56 PM
Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Guru

Guns onboard

Woah. What happened here? I was trying to post a small pic of myself.
Sorry all.

Now I can't get rid of it.
SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 24th of February 2010 11:16:19 AM
Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Guru

Hey John How do I delete a post?
I am so embarrassed.
.SD
Old 02-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Holy crap SD please delete, the dog just puked!!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Guru

I know!!* i know !!

Help me out here befor something worse happens.
The site may crash.

Warning warning!!! Run away. Will robinson
Old 02-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

I saw the same face on the post office wall. Who needs a gun with a mean look like that!
Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
Guru

Guns onboard

Yeah,
****And I know how to use it too

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 24th of February 2010 04:17:57 PM
Old 02-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

In my youth I worked on a Salmon troller. We had a gun aboard, a rifle that we used to blow the brains out of giant halibut so we could get them aboard. Took some shots at seals and sea lions that were taking the coho off our hooks. That's probably illegal now, so I can't see any reason you would need a gun on your boat.
Oh... you guys are in the USof A! different place.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: -
Guns onboard

Quote:
albin43 wrote:

do you keep a gun onboard? if so what kind do you have and what are your thoughts?
We do not keep a gun on board but when we take longer cruises we take one with us.* We use the same firearm we use when we take floatplane trips up the Inside Passage and into BC and SE Alaska--- a 12-gauge pump*Savage Model 69 RXL with an 18.25" barrel and an extended magazine.* This gun is legal in Canada and we have it primarily for bear protection in remote areas.

Having had numerous bear encounters on our floatplane trips, one in which we had to use the shotgun, we feel safer in remote areas having one with us if we plan to go ashore.

We do not carry a handgun as these are illegal to have in Canada unless you are just going to carry it in transit through the country and then you have to jump through a lot of hoops to get the permit, have the gun sealed by Canadian Customs, etc.* So even if you have one with you legally it's worthless since you cannot use it for anything without breaking the seal, which then subjects*you *to a whole bunch of penalties, none of them pleasant or cheap.

And anyway, for the purposes* for which we need a firearm, a handgun is pretty much worthless anyway.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 24th of February 2010 07:23:21 PM
Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #15
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

We have the Mossburg mariner, and have found it to be quite robust.* We carry it for bear protection in remote areas, but as of now, we have not needed it. Still it's nice to know that if we did have a problem, we would have a back-up.* The Mossburg has proven to be very rust resistant, and reliable.* Virtually all the shells we have put through it have been aimed at clay pigeons off the top deck though.* We do carry it through Canada, it simply requires getting a permit each time we check in.* We got stopped once though, just North of Campbell River, and despite having all the proper paperwork, and being totally legal, the officer was very insistent that we should not be carrying it, and it was clear that we were opening ourselves for further detailed inspection.* Never the less, it has been a good gun............Arctic Traveller

Stop and see us at the San Diego Trawler Fest
Old 02-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #16
Grand Vizier

I have the same gun. In law enforcement, these are 'entry guns', i.e. a weapon you hold to your chest as you kick in the door and enter yelling "Freeze Scumbag" at the top of your lungs. The short barrel makes it easier to swivel in close spaces.

My intent was to buy the optional line launcher and pretend that it wasn't a gun, but a safety device, but they don't seem to make the launcher anymore. If you want to take a gun into Canada it is a major hassle, and since that is mostly where we cruise I have had to leave the Mossberg home.

Even in U.S. waters, a routine safety boarding becomes more difficult when you carry a weapon. Sadly, the ability to carry this particular tool to protect against threats to family safety is encumbered by the huge amount of flak you have to endure. It may not be worth it...
Old 02-24-2010, 11:13 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Delfin wrote:

If you want to take a gun into Canada it is a major hassle, and since that is mostly where we cruise I have had to leave the Mossberg home.
That's odd.* We have never been told we needed a permit for the shotgun in Canada and have never been inspected by Customs when we told them we had a firearm. All they ever ask, both with the boat and with the plane, is what kind of firearm we have, the overall length, and if it's loaded.* We even clear into Canada by phone and answer the same questions and every time they have taken the information on the phone and issued us our clearance number.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:21 AM   #18
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Guns onboard

Marin - The same customs form you sign for air travel asking if you have a firearm, applies to boaters. We just got our Nexus cards and it is clearly written and stated that carrying firearms on boats, cars, planes etc into Canada/US is strictly prohibiited. It has been this way for the past 40 to 50 years when entering Canada. 40 years ago I had a nice Browning confiscated as I entered Canada - learned my lesson. Last year my brother had a 2 hour wait after declaring a bear gun at the customs dock, but they eventually let him enter. Next thing you know they will be asking if you carry*fruits, vegetables, tobacco, booze or*meat!

-- Edited by sunchaser on Thursday 25th of February 2010 04:24:28 AM
Old 02-25-2010, 04:28 AM   #19
FF
Guru

Would never have "A" gun aboard , like any tool they are useful in a variety of styles.

For ICW cruising a 20 G (the bride is only 100 lbs) and is filled with bird shot.

The (my ) 12 G has TWO BLANKS as first load and bird (wont take out the rigging) .

Useful for answering the door , and a warning blast WONT BE LETHAL.

THE 357 HAS "safty " loads , basically bird shot , fine inside the cabin as it wont take apart the interior.

In the Carib and Bahamas the trusty SS Mini 14 , folding stock and a bunch of 20 round clips taped , will take care of any warnings needed .

That's the stuff I'm willing to share , the rest will remain private.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #20

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler

Quote:
FF wrote:

Would never have "A" gun aboard , like any tool they are useful in a variety of styles.

For ICW cruising a 20 G (the bride is only 100 lbs) and is filled with bird shot.

The (my ) 12 G has TWO BLANKS as first load and bird (wont take out the rigging) .

Useful for answering the door , and a warning blast WONT BE LETHAL.

THE 357 HAS "safty " loads , basically bird shot , fine inside the cabin as it wont take apart the interior.

In the Carib and Bahamas the trusty SS Mini 14 , folding stock and a bunch of 20 round clips taped , will take care of any warnings needed .

That's the stuff I'm willing to share , the rest will remain private.
im with you FF

Closed Thread