Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #41

RE: Guns onboard

As an avid gun owner, and with pirates back on the seas, I would rather have a Mossburg loaded with 00 Buckshot with the plug out, and a few semi-auto's with back up clips on board. Last back-up, my Super Redhawk .44 Mag with 7.5in barrel, if they make it on board.

Bug spray at 20 yards?........ Against an AK-47 or other weapons? With a nice yacht, get to a gun range and protect yourself.

You'll be dead if they have other intentions of boarding/taking your boat in an isolated cove somewhere before you even make a Mayday call.

The FNG.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:17 AM   #42
FF
Guru

A shot in the face from 20- ft is an EZ hit , and will stop a nasty .

Bug spray at 20 yards?........ Against an AK-47 or other weapons?

There is a known difference between Yards and Feet.

The wasp spray suggestion is for a prowler that swims or canoes alongside and climbs aboard.

To repel a fellow with an AK 47 would tale a 50 Cal sniper rifle , legal to purchase and own.

BUT it would take practice to be effective from a moving boat.

Firing one brick of ammo a year (1000 rounds) would be simple insurance.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #43
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

As long as you fellows play with these things in your own back yard you will probably be ok.
Any where else in the world and you would probably be in more trouble than the perp.
You may not agree with the rules else where but that's the way it is.

I have been traveling thru most of the major pirate areas (except Somalia and that is a whole different ball game) in the world for the last 30 years and merchant ships have not had fire arms on board in that time.
The Masters handgun was removed in the mid 70's

In the 15 years I have been cruising the Australian coast I have had 1 intruder, trying to steal my outboard fuel tank in the middle of the night.( this was in a marina) He was apprended by the cops later on and ended up in the slammer for that and other acts.
My only reason for a weapon at all would be for protection against crocodiles in the north and even those bastards are illegal to shoot.

That's just my take on it all
Old 04-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #44

We're sitting for our NEXUS interviews in a month - I've made a note to myself to inquire about guns on board - however I expect them to cover that anyway.

John
Old 04-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #45
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Welcome aboard John! What kind of vessel are you cruising in? Is the NEXUS for boating along with other forms of transportation?
Old 04-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #46

Hi Steve - she is a McCredie.* I don't know about other methods of crossing the border with Canada. Haven't flown in since the early 70's and never have driven in. We are doing this exclusively for boating into Canada.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #47
Ed
Veteran Member

City: Brownsville
Vessel Name: Makin Do
Vessel Model: PT38 Sedan #60

Hi John,

When we had our interview last year it was in 2 parts.* First the US part and then we got to spend some time with a Canadian officer.* She was the one who warned against taking any firearms other than shotguns into Canada.

We have cruised with folks who carried shotguns and they had no border crossing problems as long as the weapons were declared.* Not declaring a weapon can be a major hassle.* A friend who was selected for a cursary inspection had taken his pistol off the boat but neglected to remove a small quantity of ammo.* The basic search turned into a 1.5+ hour mission to find the gun that went with the ammo.* Another time the same friend had a shotgun aboard and failed to declare it when he returned to the states.* Again it cost him a major search and the agents were a lot less than friendly.

During repeated visits it will become obvious that your previous visits have been databased and you may be asked questions based on those visits.* I.E. Is Connie (insert the name of your signicant other) with you?

Ed
Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #48

Hi Ed - thanks for the help. My cruising partner, boss, Admiral etc etc is Sherry. I really appreciate the advice on firearms. My first inclination would be a handgun but think I'll just leave that idea in the states. I am, however, going to plan on a shotgun and get whatever documentation I need done. We also know of a couple of didn't declare a firearm which was subsequently discovered - I think it was legally dicey for a bit for them. Playing by the rules is sometimes the best course!

Thank you again for the advice.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #49
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Got this today from a friend at our old yacht club at Bradenton.* Go unarmed if you want, but travelling and anchoring in isolated places carries a certain amount of danger.

Alicia and I recently returned from a 23 day trip from Pasadena YC down the West coast to Marathon and Miami.* A very serious thing happened on the way home and we want to warn all of the members of the Bradenton YC about the problem.
After a two night stay at the Biscayne Bay Yacht Club (very nice and lovely people) we left to go back to Marathon on a Saturday morning at about 9 am.* We noticed two boats following us for several miles.* They were about 26 feet long with three men in each.* One of the boats "drafted" in our wake for about a mile and I thought they needed help so I asked Alicia to slow down so I could help them--Big Mistake! They were actually Pirates and when their boat got to about 4 feet from our swim platform one of the men tried to jump aboard our moving boat.* Fortunately, Alicia was very sharp and immediately threw the throttles forward and swamped their boat.* They didn't tip over but never were successful in boarding us.*
We called the Coast Guard and they said that Pirates are operating all through the Keys and that we could have been thrown in the water and our boat stolen and we and our dog would probably have drowned.*
The message is that all Bradenton boaters should be aware that in these times, especially with drug runners, boats are captured and used for many reasons.* You should always have a weapon on your boat (it is your second home) and have it where you are.* (My gun was in our bedroom and not with me on the Sedan Bridge).* From now on I will have several handguns and my sawed-off shotgun with heavy loads, where ever I am on the boat.* People who are staying "on the hook" are particularly vulnerable since these*Pirates can swim to your boat in the early morning hours when everyone is asleep.* Never slow down for anyone who seems to be in distress.* Stay a safe distance away and call the Coast Guard, even if the distressed boat seems to be on fire.* It could be a smoke pot and a fake.* Be wary, there are some very dangerous people out there.* Luckily we are*safe, a lot wiser and will see you on Friday evening at the Pasadena Yacht Club.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #50
FF
Guru

Once again for those that like to anchor out,

a 12V cattle fence shocker works well IF you have metal life lines.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #51
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Quote:
*Fortunately, Alicia was very sharp and immediately threw the throttles forward and swamped their boat.
Quote:
__________________________________________________ ________
Quote:
J---s C----t, Don!!!
Quote:
Glad to hear you're OK! I can't believe this happened in the keys!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
Quote:
*Fortunately, Alicia was very sharp and immediately threw the throttles forward and swamped their boat.
Quote:
Quote:
J---s C----t, Don!!!
Quote:
*Haven't verified it Walt.* I don't know the person that wrote it as we dropped our membership in BYC.* We are relocating the boat to the Florida and US east coast for the next couple of years.* The person sending it to me does know the sending party, and he is very reliable.* A licensed 50 ton master.* When more info is sent, it will be posted.

I will say that there are some unsavory characters in the Keys and South Florida.* Many Haitians have come in illegally.* I am much more careful in the Keys and Bahamas as a result.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
J---s C----t, Don!!!
Quote:
*Walt, I had posted a wanted poster awhile back*from the Royal Bahama Police.* It was for a boat thief that was \considered armed and dangerous.* His given name was Jeane Claude.* Sound French?* Probably Haitain.* The Bahamians have imported Haitians to do their labor.* Their crime rate has also increased.* A correlation?* There are also some large concentrations of them in South Florida.* To bad that the worst give the rest a bad reputatiion.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #54
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I always carry a couple of firearms on board while cruising, so am definitely not anti gun at all.
But from the way this report is written, the part in bold, which seems to be anonymous, sounds bogus to me. Maybe I am wrong, if so my apologies to the writer.
In any case the adice to be wary is always valid.
It would be interesting to see if a CG report or advisory is available.

Steve W
Old 06-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Steve wrote:
I always carry a couple of firearms on board while cruising, so am definitely not anti gun at all.
But from the way this report is written, the part in bold, which seems to be anonymous, sounds bogus to me. Maybe I am wrong, if so my apologies to the writer.
In any case the adice to be wary is always valid.
It would be interesting to see if a CG report or advisory is available.

Steve W
*Steve, I have sent e-mails to check the validity of the report.* The person I got it from is very reliable.* The fact that it mentioned the BYC members also made it more real to me.* I will continue checking, but wanted to alert anyone possibly headed that way.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #56
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Thanks Don, please let us know what you find.

Steve W
Old 06-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Steve wrote:
Thanks Don, please let us know what you find.

Steve W
*OK, so far this is it.* The incident e-mail was sent to our Power Fleet Capt. at BYC, who I know.* It was forwarded to me* by a friend of 35 years who is totally reliable.* It was sent to him by the Power Fleet Capt.* I am no longer on that mailing list as I resigned from the club.* The person sending the incident report is a doctor known by the Power Fleet Capt.* I have asked for anymore info that may be available.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #58
Guru

Have recieved e-mail confirmation that the reporting party is a kown member of BYC.* He has been spoken with ,and confirms the report.* It is true.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #59
Guru

Thanks Don for the report and keeping us updated.

I just returned from 10 days down in the Keys, having anchored in some pretty isolated areas. I had no problems and do not carry a gun aboard, but am rethinking this.

My cousin who cruises the Caribbean on a 52' ketch during the winter carries a rifle and hand gun. He has a well thought out plan if someone attempts to board. His major concern is while at sea and carries tracer rounds for the rifle that he would use as a warning. If ignored, next shot is a live round thru the hull at the engine location. This is only after several attempts at radio contact. At port or anchor the hand gun is more useful, but he does hide cash throughout the boat if he is unsuccessful at thwarting a thief.

I think it's very unlikely that someone would attempt to board a boat underway in the protected waters of the US, though like Don's friend it is possible. A hand gun would seem a bit more useful and far more easy to carry. The judge http://www.taurususa.com/video-theJudge.cfm has been recommended by a close relative. A revolver that loads either 410 shot or a 45 cal bullet, or both.

Another line of defense that I'm considering is an alarm system that uses deck sensors. These sensors are strategically located on the boat (mine would require only 3) and are epoxied underneath the deck, so you have to have access. Coupled to the computer module, siren, strobe light and high water bilge sensor completes the system. About $650. http://www.boatalarm.com/index.html

I want to get references before purchasing. I would want to know the deck sensors are reliable and not prone to false alarms.

I don't consider out 75lb golden retriever much of a deterrent.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #60
Guru

Quote:
timjet wrote:
I don't consider out 75lb golden retriever much of a deterrent.
*Well, our totally dependable guard dog, Troy, distracts intruders by lickig their face until I can get the firearm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	troyr_2011_022.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	6331  

Closed Thread