Old 05-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
Guru

City: somewhere
I'm a newbie but 10k is only a number not an exit.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #22
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Noticed Marin had deleted his avatar on his posts yesterday.

Liked his posting style, Lots of informative details about his GB36.

Happy Trawlering.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #23
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Bruce anchor.

Bruce anchor.

Bruce anchor.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #24

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Adelaide
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
For a bunch of old farts, there is some serious immaturity here.

I like Marin's posts. I didn't always agree with him, but respect his opinions.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
I like Marin's posts. I didn't always agree with him, but respect his opinions.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
Glad to see someone corrected the spelling.

I am keeping my account open so I can continue to correspond via PM with the couple of people I like to correspond with.

But as I told Pau Hana-- whose company, Anchor Marine, has been our marine insurance broker for the last 14+ years and i highly recommend them no matter what part of the country you're in-- 9,000+ posts to an internet forum, and a recreational one at that, is downright embarrassing to say nothing of being immoral and probably illegal, at least in this state. The more I looked at that number the more ridiculous I felt, and a lot of members have made it clear they feel the same way. So to hit 10,000 would be unacceptable.

I joined the forum right after John and Doug started it in 2007 as an antidote to the very strictly controlled T&T list. I continue to commend them for their willingness to give it a shot and the effort they put into their endeavor. They did the recreational motor cruising community a huge service.

But had I known I would become this active I would have-- or should have-- pulled the plug right off the bat. A lot of people today wish I had.. But I didn't and here we are at this ludicrous number of posts.

So enough's enough.

While my forum participation was certainly prolific it actually didn't take up much of my time. For whatever reason-- parents who were professional writers and published authors perhaps--- I can be a fast writer when I need to be and I dashed off TF posts while waiting for planes or during forced downtime while editing or waiting for a crew to set up the next shot or whatever. Nevertheless time is a finite commodity and I have other things I should be using it for.

I'll for sure peruse the forum fairly frequently at first just out of sheer habit and perhaps send a PM if I feel I have something useful to pass on to a poster. But I'm making it as hard as I can to access it.

I think I've got a couple of posts left to 9999. Or maybe this one's it. I'll know when I hit Submit.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #27
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Bruce anchor.

Bruce anchor.

Bruce anchor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
For a bunch of old farts, there is some serious immaturity here.
Hey, I was just trying to resurrect him; like Beetlejuice.

He did have 4 replies left after all (and it worked).
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #28

City: Benicia CA
Agree with him or not, you must admit he was the biggest straw that stirred this TF drink. He will truly be missed, and, unfortunately it will be noticed that he's gone.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Marin, you are being a bit drastic, and a bit uncharacteristically sensitive, if you think anyone on here is affected one way or another by your post count. I doubt many even notice, and if they do, the main reaction would be one of you having been on here longer than most, which you have. However, if it would help keep you posting, how about we at site office look at possibly winding back the speedo, so the post count goes back to say coupla hundred..? If that's possible. I'd have to check with Janet et al. Waddayasay...?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #30
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Well, I have to say that it was great fun doing wannabe windows on different boats. It just won't be the same without the Father of wannabe philosophy around to critique the work. Heck, I was getting ready to do a whole new series on wannabe hause-pipes.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #31
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Well, I have to say that it was great fun doing wannabe windows on different boats. It just won't be the same without the Father of wannabe philosophy around to critique the work. Heck, I was getting ready to do a whole new series on wannabe hause-pipes.
I saw some of the teaser pics from your new wannabe hause-pipe series Larry and I must say- I have been rather looking forward to viewing the full series!!

I think it only fitting you doctor up a photo of Marin's boat to add some wannabe windows and a tuna tower and a few other fun items for his boat. Perhaps he will print and frame it and place it on a bulkhead of his trawler to remind himself of TF.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #32
Guru

City: Pensacola
Maybe he has "manopause".....
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #33
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

I am keeping my account open so I can continue to correspond via PM with the couple of people I like to correspond with.

But as I told Pau Hana-- whose company, Anchor Marine, has been our marine insurance broker for the last 14+ years and i highly recommend them no matter what part of the country you're in-- 9,000+ posts to an internet forum, and a recreational one at that, is downright embarrassing to say nothing of being immoral and probably illegal, at least in this state. The more I looked at that number the more ridiculous I felt, and a lot of members have made it clear they feel the same way. So to hit 10,000 would be unacceptable.

I joined the forum right after John and Doug started it in 2007 as an antidote to the very strictly controlled T&T list. I continue to commend them for their willingness to give it a shot and the effort they put into their endeavor. They did the recreational motor cruising community a huge service.

But had I known I would become this active I would have-- or should have-- pulled the plug right off the bat. A lot of people today wish I had.. But I didn't and here we are at this ludicrous number of posts.

So enough's enough.

While my forum participation was certainly prolific it actually didn't take up much of my time. For whatever reason-- parents who were professional writers and published authors perhaps--- I can be a fast writer when I need to be and I dashed off TF posts while waiting for planes or during forced downtime while editing or waiting for a crew to set up the next shot or whatever. Nevertheless time is a finite commodity and I have other things I should be using it for.

I'll for sure peruse the forum fairly frequently at first just out of sheer habit and perhaps send a PM if I feel I have something useful to pass on to a poster. But I'm making it as hard as I can to access it.

I think I've got a couple of posts left to 9999. Or maybe this one's it. I'll know when I hit Submit.
Appreciate the kinds words and endorsement, Marin.

You do realize, that, like a train wreck, you will be drawn back here again and again- you won't be able to look away.

To me, that is a good thing- knowledge and experience shared is of benefit to all.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
You do realize, that, like a train wreck, you will be drawn back here again and again- you won't be able to look away.
In an exchange with Walt (Seahorse II) yesterday I did the math and realized that if I figure an average time of five minutes to write a post that's a total of 833 hours. 833 hours of totally unproductive time. What a freakin' waste! I should have thought to run the numbers years ago. I would have stopped way back then.

Knowing this I am hoping it will motivate me not to return and waste any more.

The only thing I might do is start an account under a different heading so if I get any cool photos on our fishing trips and cruises I can post them on West Coast Cruising. We all like to look at pictures.

But that might lead me back into active participation in the forum so I'll have think that one through very carefully.

But 833 hours totally wasted that I'll never get back. That's bloody insane.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #35
Guru

City: somewhere
Why does each hour of your life have to be productive?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #36

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
"But 833 hours totally wasted that I'll never get back. That's bloody insane."
--------------------------

I thank you for many of those hours...never a waste for me, especially your aviation & travel related posts.
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #37

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
.............................But 833 hours totally wasted that I'll never get back. That's bloody insane.
A year has about 1600 productive hours, so thats a waste of half a year production time.......

Cees
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #38
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:

Truly our pleasure!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #39
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Marin,
We have come up with a solution for you. Us moderators will delete 50 of your old posts per day to allow you to stay below your 10k cap limit. if we find that 50 posts per day are not sufficient to keep you below the 10k post limit you can just PM us and we can bump it up to 75-100 old posts deleted per day and then you will never have to worry about getting at or over the 10k cap.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #40
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boating forums.”
[with apologies to Kenneth Grahame]
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote