Old 02-09-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: FIRST WORLD
Vessel Name: MYOB, NOSEY
Vessel Model: TS39
Global Data Protection restrictions (GDPR)

Page Blocked
We have detected that you are visiting us from a country with Global Data Protection restrictions (GDPR). Due to requirements placed upon West Marine as a result of Global Data Protection Regulation, we are not permitting internet traffic to our website from certain countries in order to avoid any violations. No tracking or performance measurement cookies were served with this page."

THIS IS WEST MARINE. FEB 2019. THEIR LOSS IS DEFENDER'S GAIN.

SHORT SIGHTED OR WHAT??

Old 02-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
So it would seem that rather than bring their web site into compliance, they are simply blocking access from Countries with GDPR laws. It will be interesting to see if this is temporary, or if they have decided to forfeit those markets.

Do people in the UK buy much from WM?

Old 02-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #3
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
"USA isolationist measures"? Really? Sounds more like a company that chooses not to comply with an EU directive. Their judgement seems to be that the EU market isn't significant in their business model.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
Grand Vizier

The biggest cost of this Euro provision is that you have to be able to process requests from an individual to purge all data from your system when they ask. Unless your business from a Euro country is material, it isn't worth the trouble or cost to set up that infrastructure. Robin will have to buy his mermaid shaped fenders elsewhere.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I bought more from worst marine when in UK than when in usa, as do many friends, WM even had local contact numbers one time. seems like they just don't care to me. I just wanted to download a manual for my WM HH radio but fortunately found it on my hard drive already.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #6
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Can't say that I blame them. I'm not sure what the GDPR laws entail, but if it costs them more to comply with those laws than they would make in profits (not just the sale price, but gross profit) I can't say that I blame them.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It is still the only USA site I have come across with such a policy, marine or whatever site. Weird.

TF DOESN'T discriminate, nor big stores like Wally world or amazon or as previously noted Defender who will gain my business 100% forthwith.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:12 AM   #8
Guru

Could be part and parcel of increasing world trade restrictions, limitations, and protections. Quite popular in some countries. Welcome to a trade disrupted tit for tat world.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #9
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Could be part and parcel of increasing world trade restrictions, limitations, and protections. Quite popular in some countries. Welcome to a trade disrupted tit for tat world.
Well no, but a deft (if a bit weird) dig nonetheless.

It has nothing to do with trade or an insistence on equivalent, or zero tariffs on trade, and everything to do with the usual shotgun application of consumer/patient protection by lovers of the administrative state and ever expanding bureaucratic control of all aspects of people's lives.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
Guru

Boy, Robin, all these descriptors: isolationist, policy, discriminate. The simple fact is WM, for whatever reason, made a business decision not to comply with a beaurocratic pronouncement from Brussels.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I heard they are up for sale, well good luck new buyers because there is some dumb thinking going on here. You lot do realise there are American boaters outside of the walls (plenty in Europe even) that will also be blocked from Worst Marine. Still they are really only a boaty boutique these days not a proper outfit, so no matter.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:26 PM   #12

City: Chicago/Montrose Harbor
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
Itís a bit old, but interesting article. To me- west marine has looked At the profits generated from EU sales and probably made a business decision thatís good for them. https://econsultancy.com/gdpr-which-...from-the-eu-2/
Gmarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #13
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I heard they are up for sale, well good luck new buyers because there is some dumb thinking going on here. You lot do realise there are American boaters outside of the walls (plenty in Europe even) that will also be blocked from Worst Marine. Still they are really only a boaty boutique these days not a proper outfit, so no matter.
Ummm, they sold for $338 million to a private equity group two years ago. I guess the new owners don't much care for your business, Robin. Probably not worth the trouble for them.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have no wish to do business with them, Defender are just fine for anything I cannot better source locally. As already mentioned I only wanted to download a manual for a WM own brand VHF but found it elsewhere regardless. I could always set up a VPN showing me as in the USA or somewhere they will talk to, but life is too short and their offerings not that brilliant anymore.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #15
Guru

On the face of it,Data Protection,global or otherwise,sounds very desirable.
Robin`s avatar doesn`t disclose a possibly relevant country of residence.
In point may be the current issues between Europe and the UK.
Fortunately,as in life generally, if A won`t deal with you but B will,all being sufficiently equal,you deal with B. Seems to have worked here.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #16
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
West for sale AGAIN? They just sold and were finally getting a foot hold on the more serious boater that wanted more than a T shirt.

My business with them and probably gone up 10x because of their price matching and return policy.... never an issue. And with the price matching all I need to do is show them a competitors price on my Iphone...... works for internet sales, too, but a bit more awkward (just did that).

Amazon is still no 1 because of their return policy, Defender is no 2.... great but harder to deal with and hard to get good descriptions without a phone call but has a lot of odd ball stuff that hard to find elsewhere.

And Ive got my few local suppliers that give me a good price with certain OEMs, like Kohler and Merc.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:55 PM   #17

City: San Francisco CA
Vessel Name: Voyager
Vessel Model: Universal 39' Europa Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
West for sale AGAIN? They just sold and were finally getting a foot hold on the more serious boater that wanted more than a T shirt.

My business with them and probably gone up 10x because of their price matching and return policy.... never an issue. And with the price matching all I need to do is show them a competitors price on my Iphone...... works for internet sales, too, but a bit more awkward (just did that).

Amazon is still no 1 because of their return policy, Defender is no 2.... great but harder to deal with and hard to get good descriptions without a phone call but has a lot of odd ball stuff that hard to find elsewhere.

And Ive got my few local suppliers that give me a good price with certain OEMs, like Kohler and Merc.

+1 on West Marine price matching. Their policies are making me appreciate them again.
warfdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 PM   #18
Guru

Montgomery group slashed corporate and let store managers have input to their inventory. & price match. All for the good locally anyway. And they're hiring people who have some boating experience again.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:46 AM   #19
FF
Guru

"The simple fact is WM, for whatever reason, made a business decision not to comply with a beaurocratic pronouncement from Brussels."

Sounds like what the voters of GB are attempting to do.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"The simple fact is WM, for whatever reason, made a business decision not to comply with a beaurocratic pronouncement from Brussels."

Sounds like what the voters of GB are attempting to do.

The EU brought in new rules that all EU countries MUST AND DO comply with, including UK which has not left yet and sees sense in the new rules anyway. We are talking about privacy rules here BTW not banning sales. Some of us, me included do not appreciate companies like Google, Facetwat etc tracking our every click for their own nefarious purposes ( like demographics of voters for example, think election tweaking).