Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Cochrane, Alberta
Vessel Name: Painters Cove
Vessel Model: 1997 Bayliner 5788
Re "Edmund Fitzgerald'
To this day I still remember how terrified I was as a young 3rd mate aboard a lake freighter similar to the "Edmund Fitzgerald'
We were crossing the Gulf of St Lawrence en route to Pointe Noire , Quebec to load iron ore for Stelco in Hamilton. We were in a force 10 gale and, looking aft from the pilothouse along the 650 length of the vessel, you could clearly see the whole ship flexing up and down many, many feet as each wave passed under the keel
These ships are designed to allow some amount of flexibility but it seems very likely to me that the Fitzgerald eventually first broke her back in similar conditions and then sunk.
Bob

weebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #22
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Oh, now I get what you mean...that would be jumpy for sure!

There is a tear drop shaped island here where the waves cross after being bent by the shoreline. After passing the island they cross at about a 30 degree angle, then bounce off a cliff on the mainland about a mile away which makes for 4 sets of waves all crossing at once. They aren't really waves after that...they just jump into existence, throw their tops away in an explosion of spray, then disappear. Crazy!

Scale our scenarios up to open ocean size and conditions, and it paints an ugly picture.
yep, you got it. I wish i had some pix of this phenomenon but i don't. Sometimes if the wind and currents are right it is very nasty.

bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #23

City: Paynters Bay
Vessel Name: Therapi-Too
Vessel Model: 1987 Chris-Craft 381
Many issues have arisen with the Fitzgerald, one that seems to have some real truth is that she actually drove herself into a wave as the positive bow floatation was insufficient to bring the bow up and under propulsion drove herself to the bottom.
Another interesting wave fact concerns the QE 2. A couple of years ago this vessel was crossing the Atlantic and experienced a wave which broke a bridge window which was some 30 or 40 feet or more above the water. That alone is enough to keep a sailor at home.

Another wave hit a the weather ship Vancouver or Quadra around 1968 or 69, on Station Papa, which is 250 nuatical off BC. Wave action hit vessel with such force that it split the bulk head which ran from the wheel house to the keel.

Wave action is a killer as we all know and vessels which are out there day after day suffer terrible unseen damage. Given the issues one must accept some risk, but that risk, especially with the now over sized vessels has to be viewed in a different light. I applaude the Chinese for no allowing the VLBC to deliver iron to its ports/ We should ban similar vessels, oil, container or bulk, using our ports. Bill.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Cyclone. VLBC?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Many
Wave action is a killer as we all know and vessels which are out there day after day suffer terrible unseen damage. Given the issues one must accept some risk, but that risk, especially with the now over sized vessels has to be viewed in a different light. I applaude the Chinese for no allowing the VLBC to deliver iron to its ports/ We should ban similar vessels, oil, container or bulk, using our ports. Bill.
I agree. Limits should be placed upon vessel size.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #26

FT Firefly: VLBC-Very Large Bulk Carriers. IE the iron ore monster that China refused entry too. Bill
Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
FT Firefly: VLBC-Very Large Bulk Carriers. IE the iron ore monster that China refused entry too. Bill
anyone know the name of this vessel so i can look it up?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #28

Vale the owner, check out www.bulk-solids-handling.com. Great pictures and full details. As well stevesmaritime.com/bulk.html has more data.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Vale the owner, check out www.bulk-solids-handling.com. Great pictures and full details. As well stevesmaritime.com/bulk.html has more data.
thanks