The flat earth instead of the globe earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gravity holds things down, overcoming a centripetal acceleration that is pushing things off the surface.
But since gravity is the supposed force doing this and gravity does not vary with latitude, being mostly the same all over a globe earth, ...

You base your premise on the assumption that the force of gravity is directly opposed by the effects of centrifugal action. That is false. Gravity continually exerts a force vertically...down. Centrifugal force on a body results along the tangent of the arc of rotation. If you were able to accelerate the rotation of the earth to the point that folks were 'falling off', they'd fall horizontally...in shear as water would separate from the rotating tennis ball. Once separated, they are no longer subjected to the centrifugal force of the rotating mass and gravity forces them to fall. If your tennis ball had substantial gravitational force, they'd all fall back to the tennis ball.

Try this on a wet tennis ball....

Place the tennis ball on a spindle on an electric drill. Spin the drill just fast enough for the water to shed. It should spin off the side of the tennis ball. It doesn't leap into the air defying gravity....gravity still exists and continues to apply its force to the water droplets...not to mention surface tension, aerodynamic drag and other forces acting upon the masses. Ultimately, you will have to clean up the results of our ever-present gravity from your floor.

Pilou wins the scientific literacy prize. Everyone else is a product of the apparently inferior US educational system.

The Earth is large enough and the forces are large enough so that the material that makes up the Earth behaves like a fluid. That’s why the Earth is nearly spherical under the force of gravity. However, the Earth is also spinning, not too fast, only one revolution per 24 hours. This spin causes the Earth to bulge at the equator, about 50 miles. The centrifugal force from the spin is in equilibrium with the gravitational force causing the Earth’s surface to be what is called an equipotential surface. That is the potential energy, and hence the force, is the same everywhere over the surface. In simple terms the force on an object, which is the same as weight, is the same everywhere. You weigh the same at the pole as you do at the equator.

I can’t tell how many posters are serious and how many are simply going along with a joke. Unfortunately the ones who are serious also make important decisions that affect others.

Paul

Greetings,
Aw snap! And here I thought we were stuck to the earth with gluons...

giphy.gif

I keep searching for this
To share my visions I will post a thread on TF entitled Don's View from the Beach. In it I shall share pearls of wisdom with those with a thirst for the truth.
but no joy, perhaps it resides in some dark web section of the forum....

@Paul Swason

It is a fun topic ! :)

We talked about possible latitude effects, but do mass and weight vary with altitude ? :confused:

Greetings,
Mme. P. Ah, the old physics 101...Mass (static), for the most part, stays constant regardless of altitude. Weight, which is tied to gravitational forces does vary with altitude AND proximity to other bodies.
Many, many moons ago, our daughter was doing some sort of science essay. The Admiral insisted that once free of the earth's gravitational pull there is no gravity. Hence the term "Zero gravity". I suggested there was still gravity, minuscule though it may be, due to remaining attraction to earth and by attraction to other masses in the solar system. I got used to sleeping on the basement floor after a couple of months...
Now, a mass, as it approaches the speed of light increases to an infinite amount except on Star Trek...
illl.gif

Keep strongly in mind I made all that up because I can't remember anything. Now, about those gluons. Is there gluon 5200?

I keep searching for this

but no joy, perhaps it resides in some dark web section of the forum....

Be patient. The first broadcast has been sent. Your being on the Left Coast means the signal has probably not gotten to you.

Pilou wins the scientific literacy prize. Everyone else is a product of the apparently inferior US educational system.

The Earth is large enough and the forces are large enough so that the material that makes up the Earth behaves like a fluid. That’s why the Earth is nearly spherical under the force of gravity. However, the Earth is also spinning, not too fast, only one revolution per 24 hours. This spin causes the Earth to bulge at the equator, about 50 miles. The centrifugal force from the spin is in equilibrium with the gravitational force causing the Earth’s surface to be what is called an equipotential surface. That is the potential energy, and hence the force, is the same everywhere over the surface. In simple terms the force on an object, which is the same as weight, is the same everywhere. You weigh the same at the pole as you do at the equator.

I can’t tell how many posters are serious and how many are simply going along with a joke. Unfortunately the ones who are serious also make important decisions that affect others.

Paul

Paul,

Your theory is at least partially right. You see we live in an expanding universe. When the earth was young and most everything molten the stars and planets were much closer. Their gravity fields and centrifugal force first pulled the earth into a sphere. It didn't stop until they pulled the earth into a disc shape. See my Moon Pie theory. That means the earth is flat or nearly so as we see it. There are still some mountains that will disappear.

By the way, Chattanooga, TN is the epicenter of our universe. That's where Moon Pies are made.

This can be considered as my first "Don's View from the Beach" commentary.

Election over, now this! I have a headache, should I take the round pill or the flat one, or are they the same? Woe, is me...

Greetings,
Mme. P. Ah, the old physics 101...Mass (static), for the most part, stays constant regardless of altitude. Weight, which is tied to gravitational forces does vary with altitude AND proximity to other bodies.
Many, many moons ago, our daughter was doing some sort of science essay. The Admiral insisted that once free of the earth's gravitational pull there is no gravity. Hence the term "Zero gravity". I suggested there was still gravity, minuscule though it may be, due to remaining attraction to earth and by attraction to other masses in the solar system. I got used to sleeping on the basement floor after a couple of months...
Now, a mass, as it approaches the speed of light increases to an infinite amount except on Star Trek...

Keep strongly in mind I made all that up because I can't remember anything. Now, about those gluons. Is there gluon 5200?

Monsieur RT F

My question about the possible influence (just wondered) with altitude, and therefore of the reduced atmospheric pressure, on the volume occupied by a given mass is the result of a personal observation. I myself live at the sea level, then when many times I went off into mountains at an minimum altitude of 6000 feet, my tubes of toothpaste and creams were over-inflated.

With all due respect to Madame your Admiral, I have to say that you were right. I asked this question when I visited Kennedy Space Center (wonderful & amazing place, a must see) I was told we might rather say 'microgravity' than zero gravity.

Although no causal relationship has been yet established, I am sorry that the meanders of science brought you to sleep on your basement floor. :)

Your question about Gluons enables a leap in the field of mystery - the mysterious and trancendnt Universe - before integrating it into the domain of the known thanks to European CERN research centre in Geneva, Switzerland, and the US Brookhaven National Laboratory.

All I know is that Gluons are central issue in particle physics. Named after 'glue' they hence more or less indirectly for the cohesion of neutrons and protons. This means they interact as 'adhesive particles' which ultimately ensure the stability of matter.

This until perhaps ones would discover or identify something smaller than Gluons ?. In the forefront of the infinity small, like in the infinity high of mathematics, my opinion is there are more surprises in store.

PS : Big fan here of Star Trek and Leonard Nimoy.

@Paul Swason

It is a fun topic ! :)

We talked about possible latitude effects, but do mass and weight vary with altitude ? :confused:

Pilou,

Gee, a person that thinks physics is fun. I should have had you in one of my classes.

Mass is a fundamental property. It does not change with position or relation to other masses, except for relativity effects which we should avoid in this discussion. Mass is defined by the resistance of an object to be accelerated. It is easier to throw a baseball that a cow, even far into space where gravity is at a minimum. Gravity is a mysterious (seriously) force that causes masses to be attracted to each other. The force, F, is given by:
F = (G m1m2)/r2
Where m1 and m2 are the two masses, r is the distance between them and G is a constant called the universal gravitational constant. Thus, a mass further from the center of the Earth has a lower gravitational force toward the Earth, but it never goes to zero. This equation works everywhere and is the basis of spacecraft navigation.

Read the following at your own risk:
Why gravity exists at all is really not well understood. The recent discovery of the Higgs boson and the more recent observation of gravitational waves represent breakthroughs that will keep theoreticians employed for a long while.

Paul

Paul,

To me this was an interesting lesson, thanks !

My physics courses were 4 years at high school + 5 years at University of Pharmacy, all that to finally understand here (in a boaters' forum), the practical definition of mass, its behavior and its gravitational properties through concrete examples. The formula calculation is as well (now) easy to understand.

Let me take a closer look to Higgs boson and gravitational waves, I'm curious about that.

Merci Paul !

Pilou

Higg's bison...

giphy.gif

Mme. P. "...I have to say that you were right." Nope. I was wrong. She said so.
"... meanders of science..." Nope again. You might say the Admiral is a type "A" personality...

Last edited:
Election over, now this! I have a headache, should I take the round pill or the flat one, or are they the same? Woe, is me...

Take both pills, crush them, mix them and smoke them, you will have so much much fun! :socool:

I'm not sure if TF members are very silly or very intelligent, or can one be both?

Over the years I have noticed when the forum goes through some cataclysmic event it reverts to a Monty Python view of life to reset itself.

I particularly liked the Higgs Bison.

Last edited:
@RT Firefly
@Andy G

You are not there at all and made errors of wording. We were talking about physics, Paul said "at your own risk" then right wording was Hug Bisous which I leave it to you to translate.

I just thought of something about a spinning globe earth.
How fast are YOU spinning on Earth's axis? | Daily Mail Online
The rotational speed of the earth is 1000 mph at the equater, 600 mph in England and a few mph at the poles.
The reason water and rocks and people do not go spinning off the surface is attributed to gravity.
Gravity holds things down, overcoming a centripetal acceleration that is pushing things off the surface.
But since gravity is the supposed force doing this and gravity does not vary with latitude, being mostly the same all over a globe earth, everything should vary in weight depending on your latitude, how far north you move up from the equator due to the effects of the speed of you spinning around, versus the gravity that holds you down on the earth.

The difference between these opposing forces would be quite extreme between the poles and the equator. Yet items that weigh 10 pounds at the equator still weigh 10 pounds at the poles.
So as you move northward or southward your weight as measured on a scale should increase, but it does not change.

This is a traditional high-school physics problem - calculate the different in measured weight. It all works out.

Physics explains all of this. I'd suggest any flat-earthers go study physics (a good high school program is probably sufficient), then come back and consider all these questions. Here are some others to consider in the context of whichever model you select.

- What shape is the flat earth? A disk? A square? Does it rotate in any way? If it rotates, why doesn't the water all spill off the edges since, after all, it's moving at 1000 mph?

- How do satellites stay in orbit? Actually, are they even in orbit since that is a globe-earth concept? If not in orbit, where are they, and how do I receive my TV signal?

- Why do great-circle routes get people to a location faster than a rhumb line?

- Calculate the sight-line difference in your mountain experiment (correctly, not like in the video), consider refraction, and consider the detectable height difference discernible by sight over 30+ miles.

- Calculate the difference in weight of an object at the equator and at a pole. Break it down into the difference in gravitational force due to the imperfect shape of the earth, and centripetal force.

- For extra credit, calculate the difference in weight between an object at sea level vs at 20,000 ft elevation. Again, break it down in the difference in gravitational force and centripetal force.

Greetings,
WHAT? A pop quiz? I didn't study...

giphy.gif

If it's green and smells-It's chemistry.
If it's green and moves-It's biology
If it's green and doesn't work-It's physics...

Greetings,
WHAT? A pop quiz? I didn't study...

giphy.gif

If it's green and smells-It's chemistry.
If it's green and moves-It's biology
If it's green and doesn't work-It's physics...

Very different though when it is brown so be very careful.

Here's another one...

Biology is chemistry

Chemistry is physics

Physics is math

Math is ??????

Well, what do you know.

Attachments

• Homer Simpson People are still sciencing.jpg
    Homer Simpson People are still sciencing.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom