Firearms on Board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Per

"Thanks Greg, I am not trying to pick a fight though to understand Americans you need to understand the above statement.

Americans believe all men are born equal, and that my friend includes royals...

I must be ignorant as I had no idea there was a Queen of Australia."

Per this will not do!

Speaking for the Aussies on the forum,and in regard to your further education, we think it's time for you to do the TEST.You may use outside assistence and the pass mark shall be, say, 7/10 Are you ready, time starts now.

1/ What was the name of Australia's version of Seabiscuit?(ignore NZ claims of ownership)
2/ Name the world's greatest cricketer(he met Babe ruth in the 1930's)
3/ Name the Aussie boat that won the Americas's cup off Rhode island
4/ How many States does Australia have
5/ Name Australia's head of state(sorry that is a trick one)
6/ Is Australia larger or smaller than continental USA
7/ What is Australia's population give or take 500,000
8/ Who is going to win the upcoming Rugby World Cup(another tricky one)
9/ Name one prominent Australian actor
10/ Mark Twain and Teddy Roovervelt both lived in Australia for a time, True or False

Good luck Per.

OK, Per...it's all up to you. Time to "represent" us Yanks.

The gauntlet has been thrown down!!

Larry M wrote:
** I don't know if it was this post or another one regarding guns, but there was*a*post about Sir Peter Blake getting shot and killed because he pulled a rifle on someone who was trying to stealing a 5 hp outboard motor off his boat in Brazil.*
*Yes indeed!* A rather sobering account:

On 6 December 2001, pirates shot and killed Blake while he was on an environmental exploration trip in South America, monitoring global warming and pollution for the United Nations. The two-month expedition was anchored off Macapá, Brazil, at the mouth of the Amazon delta, waiting to clear customs after a trip up the Amazon river. At around 9 pm a group of six to eight armed, masked robbers wearing balaclavas and crash helmets boarded the Seamaster. As one of the robbers held a gun to the head of a crewmember, Blake sprang from the cabin wielding a rifle. He shot one of the assailants in the hand before the rifle malfunctioned; he was then fatally shot in the back by assailant Ricardo Colares Tavares.<sup class="reference">[3]</sup><sup class="reference">[4]</sup> The boarders injured two other crew members with knives, and the remaining seven were unhurt.<sup class="reference">[5]</sup>

The only booty the attackers seized from Seamaster was a 15*hp outboard motor and some watches from the crew. Authorities eventually captured the pirates and sentenced them to an average of 32 years in prison each; Tavares, the man who fired the fatal shots, received a sentence of 36 years 9 months

I'm with Larry m. No guns aboard for me. My wife wants a shotgun for when I'm at sea. Just what I need " A menapausal wife with a shotgun" .

Per wrote:dwhatty wrote:
*unless one attempts to haul some lobsterman's traps or fish his territory.
*the fishermen are assigned territories? or self proclaimed territory?

since i was visiting RI as a 16 yo, i have long wished to re-visit the N eastern corner.

hopefully i can make it back sometime soon with my family.

The latest arrangement, although I may not understand it correctly, is that there are state recognized geographical zones managed by the the lobstermen. Within each zone, those who are state licensed may set traps/fish with a trap # limit. Within each zone, those who are licensed self proclaim their territory on a first come/historical basis or some sort. Newcomers (rarer these days as licenses are limited and you have to work your way up through an apprentice process) get the leftover locations and have to edge/muscle their way into the good spots within a zone. Friction from time to time.

Oystermen around here can lease harvesing rights for certain areas from the state for their exclusive use. Poaching is illegal, disputes sometime arise but shooting a poacher or thief would be considered murder, or attempted murder. I'd think the same holds for lobstermen elsewhere.
Steve W.

Steve wrote:
Oystermen around here can lease harvesing rights for certain areas from the state for their exclusive use. Poaching is illegal, disputes sometime arise but shooting a poacher or thief would be considered murder, or attempted murder. I'd think the same holds for lobstermen elsewhere.
Steve W.
*Latest Maine Lobster War

Per

"Thanks Greg, I am not trying to pick a fight though to understand Americans you need to understand the above statement.

Per this will not do!

Speaking for the Aussies on the forum,and in regard to your further education, we think it's time for you to do the TEST.You may use outside assistance and the pass mark shall be, say, 7/10 Are you ready, time starts now.

1/ What was the name of Australia's version of Seabiscuit?(ignore NZ claims of ownership)
2/ Name the world's greatest cricketer(he met Babe Ruth in the 1930's)
10/ Mark Twain and Teddy Roosevelt both lived in Australia for a time, True or False

Good luck Per.

Uhmmmmm, your time starts now!
(ps apologies for misspelling Teddy Roosevelt's name )

shrimp wrote:
Per

Per this will not do!

Speaking for the Aussies on the forum,and in regard to your further education, we think it's time for you to do the TEST.You may use outside assistence and the pass mark shall be, say, 7/10 Are you ready, time starts now.

2/ Name the world's greatest cricketer(he met Babe ruth in the 1930's)
10/ Mark Twain and Teddy Roovervelt both lived in Australia for a time, True or False

Good luck Per.
*man o man, i am in trouble now.

1) seabiscuit ; isnt that a disney movie?

2) I think Pakistan is worldchampion in cricket, that the extent of cricket knowledge present. (i couldnt answer many baseball questions either).

3) no clue

4) NSW, Qnsland, victoria, northen + western territory if there are more they cant be very important...

5) no clue

6) very close in size, but you know most say that size is not important...

7) 40 million

8) scotland

9) mel gibson but not sure he is still considered prominent?

10) probably true, but why?

swear (and as you can see on the answers) i had no help and did no google etc.

dwhatty wrote:Steve wrote:
Steve W.
*Latest Maine Lobster War

*what a great story that is, talk about being outside or land and law...

fishermen are tough folks you dont want to mess with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

man o man, i am in trouble now.

1) seabiscuit ; isnt that a disney movie?

2) I think Pakistan is worldchampion in cricket, that the extent of cricket knowledge present. (i couldnt answer many baseball questions either).

3) no clue

4) NSW, Qnsland, victoria, northen + western territory if there are more they cant be very important...

5) no clue

6) very close in size, but you know most say that size is not important...

7) 40 million

8) scotland

9) mel gibson but not sure he is still considered prominent?

10) probably true, but why?

swear (and as you can see on the answers) i had no help and did no google etc.

Per Kristensen

Hmmmm.How did the teacher used to put it in the end of year report card.

" Per is a popular student ,but is easily distracted in class"

Exam Mark 35%

Had you passed, you would have received the honorary award of the Koala(as in Bear) and you would have been hence forth been known as 'Koala Per'(probably better you did'nt pass)

KJ wrote:
Pt. II of the same inquiry

Where do you stow you firearm(s)?

Do you take any precautions with it against the marine environment?** KJ
*I think pt. II of the inquiry got lost in the heat of a rather enlightening "discussion"

This then, is*only directed at those pistol packin" desperados among you that actually leave you arsenal on board.********* KJ

I found this argument very interesting and since this thread is on firearms, thought I'd share.

The Gun is Civilization
> by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)
>
> Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force.
> If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.
> In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.
>
> When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.
>
> The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.
>
> There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for an armed mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.
>
> People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.
>
> Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.
>
> People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.
>
> The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.
>
> When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation...and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
>
> By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

One of the most accurate and concise statement I have ever read on the right to bear arms.

SD

It would seem to me that choices are more based on the desire not to be fearfull.

or the desire to be at ease.

When a Lion Wolf or any predator is not engaged in the hunt they are at rest.

When the desire for the necessities of life (i.e.) Food, Shelter and Clothing are met. What ever level of those are desired. We are at rest. It is the desire to maintain these things that drives us all.

Anything that interfears with this.*call it fear or any *circumstances beyond our control we instinctively attempt to return things to those necessities.

Or once again to be at rest.

It is all about survival in the end.

SD

1/ What was the name of Australia's version of Seabiscuit?(ignore NZ claims of ownership) - Dinner. Put another horse on the barbie Mate.
2/ Name the world's greatest cricketer(he met Babe ruth in the 1930's) - Jimminy
3/ Name the Aussie boat that won the Americas's cup off Rhode island - Which time? Oh, that's right there was only the one win. I see there were 7 losses to the US in the finals though thruout the years.
4/ How many States does Australia have - besides the states of denial, paralysis, and disbelief, there are too many to list. The US President thinks that the US has 57 states, so maybe it depends on the day.
5/ Name Australia's head of state(sorry that is a trick one) - I always use the aft head, but since Australia is "down under" it must be opposite so I'll say the forward head is the state head.
6/ Is Australia larger or smaller than continental USA - "continental USA" is 14 letters, "Australia" is 9, so that answer is easy.
7/ What is Australia's population give or take 500,000 - The Australian government estimates the 2010 kangaroo population at 25,158,026 the human population is 22,604,428.
8/ Who is going to win the upcoming Rugby World Cup(another tricky one) - We may never know. Nobody watches rugby, so it's like the tree falling in the woods and nobody knows if it makes a sound.
9/ Name one prominent Australian actor - There are none. There is that Crocodile Dundee fellow, but calling him prominent is like calling Budweiser, beer.
10/ Mark Twain and Teddy Roovervelt both lived in Australia for a time, True or False - You call that living?

I wouldn't disclose anything not specifically asked.* I would voluntarily*warn someone, however, if their actions could cause harm or damage.

When I was boarded by the USCG they asked beforehand if I had firearms on board.
Steve W

Homeland Security agents boarded our boat last March near Houma. One of the first questions asked was if we had any firearms on board. When we we responded yes we were asked the location but that was it.
When they pulled alongside we were told to "CLUTCH AHEAD". What's that mean- I asked??
Keep moving, don't stop.
New to me.
disbelief.gif

RE: Firearms on Board
Reply Quote

I have yet to be boarded, but when I do get boarded, arent I supposed to disclose immediately that I have a fire arm on board?

State of Alaska requires you to advise any officer approaching you that you have a firearm in your possession. State of Washington does not require disclosure, but you must have a concealed weapons permit for a weapon on your person.

Federal laws, known as CFR's, do not require a permit to carry, but do ban weapons of certain types without a permit, machine guns, cannons, and all firearms in general in certain circumstances, such as court houses, congressional buildings, etc. You are right, Federal officers will ask you right up front when they contact you if you have firearms and you don't want to lie about it.

Every state has their own laws and for the most part are all different and you want to check them out individually in advance. Hand guns are most sensitive and rifles and shotguns not so much.

Here's an idea I had read about earlier. Take a small fire extinguisher, get all the powder out, and charge it up with cayenne pepper instead.

** KJ wrote:
Pt. II of the same inquiry

Where do you stow you firearm(s) when on board?

Do you take any special precautions*to protect*your firearms against the marine environment?** KJ
*I think pt. II of the inquiry got lost in the heat of this rather enlightening "discussion"

This then, is*only directed at those pistol packin' desperados among you that actually leave you arsenal on board.********* KJ

I guess I'll never get this part of my inquiry addressed.*** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 21st of May 2011 09:40:59 PM

One between the mattress and headboard, another in its box in*a drawer in aft "stateroom". Both locked in a brief case if kids around, haven't had any onboard yet.

Best kept folded in a "silicone cloth" very lightly, and seldom,*oiled inside and out. Even a Stainless model will have lots of steel parts inside.

I only bring handguns and only for over night cruises.

P.S. I don't*suggest others carry or ridicule those who do not.

Steve W.

-- Edited by Steve on Sunday 22nd of May 2011 06:15:12 AM

I have no interest in guns and am therefore not you're average Alaskan so I had'nt read any of this thread until it got to page 9. I thought "what on earth could they be talking about". So I've read it. Not very interesting. We have bear spray and the boat's job is to carry the spray to where it may be needed. It says on the can "not to be used on humans". I don't own a gun. Never have and am probably the only one in Thorne Bay in that category. I don't like the gun mentality and have survived these many years without but I admit there could be a time when I'd like to have one but not likely. Most of the time though one would probably be safer leaving the gun stowed (as per some of the preceding discussion) than doing a shoot out. So no gun on my boat.

When traveling in remote areas close to land* and I mean If you ever get any where near the rest of Alaska.*or any other remote place in the world*I would carry some sort of way of procuring game. *Stuff happins. Boats sink without warning all the time.* Radio/electronics fail. *If you ever find yourself in the dingy headed for shore and no boat behind you.

*You better be prepared to survive.**If you want out alive.

*Like Guns. Don't Like guns.

*It is a tool. Same as a knife, spear, club or a sharpe stone.

Don't be caught without it.

If you are taveling anywhere in the lower 48 There are other reasons to bear arms.

Know the law where ever.

SD

In Alaska, doesn't that mean something like a firearms collection/armory*consisting of*a 338 Winchester Magnum, 12-gauge shotgun, 22 rimfire rifle, and a 357 or 44 magnum pistol.* No?

Winchester Defender, 4/0 buck.

(Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency).

I would not like to be anchored and defenseless when hearing someone step on board!

attachment.php

Jean Claude Timothy, got to be a Hatian!
Steve W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom