Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
RE: Firearms on Board

We all need practice. Book a Somali Cruise.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Firearms on Board

And for the ultimate weapon against the devout muslim terrorist/pirate who might believe in houries in the afterlife, project this image into the night sky:

-- Edited by dwhatty on Sunday 15th of May 2011 03:28:02 PM

Old 05-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #23
Guru

"Do any of you carry firearms on your vessel, not including a flare gun?"

My official answer is no.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #24
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Sometimes Yes,

But laws vary from state-to-state regarding concealed weapons (handguns). Most states have no reciprocity regarding concealed weapons permits. Most have special rules for transport. So make sure you know your states rules and the rules of the state where you will be traveling. Safest bet is leave the short barrel home and bring the trusty old double barrel. Much more intimidating and even your first mate will look like Rambo holding it to her shoulder.

p.s, Non-Canadian citizens - Take no firearms into Canada, unless they are declared at customs and you are hunting or attending a match or show. Also Semi automatic firearms and handguns are expressly forbidden in Canada and possession is a felony North of the border.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #25
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Always thought the Canadians were a pretty sensible lot
Old 05-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #26
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Firearms on Board

I was boarded by a Coast Guard crew in Pensacola Bay, Fl a couple of years ago. They informed me of their intention on the vhf and asked if I had any firearms on board, I answered yes, a revolver and a pistol. They boarded and asked where the firearms were, I told them, they went below and got them, unoaded both and laid them on the bed. They put the ammunition in an undisclosed location and proceeded with their routine safety inspection with the usual questions (nothing about the arms) and check of boat docs. As they got on to their boat they told me where the ammunitions was, in one of the bedroom drawers, and pushed off on their way. Very proffesional and polite group of 3 young guys.
In most areas of the USA we can own and have guns in our homes or transport them according to the laws, which can vary from state to state.
In most states if we take the course, pass the exam and the requirements we can get a concealed carry permit and do that also. Some of us do and some don't care to.
Many boaters here have firearms on board, I have never heard of a law abiding boater shooting someone, justified or otherwise, maybe it happens but surely not often.
If someone breaks into your boat in the middle of the night knowing someone is on board you'd best figure they will have no qualms in harming or maybe killing you.

I would never carry a firearm anywhere where it is prohibited, as it is in most of the Caribbean, best to check and comply with all local regulations and never, ever, try to hide one somewhere on the boat thinking the authorities won't find it, surely they will and you will be in big trouble and probably lose your boat and spend some very unpleasant time in a local jail.

Re Concealed permit reciprocity,*There 32 states that do have reciprocity with Louisiana's CCW permit, check the following sites or others similar and see that infact MOST states do have reciprocity agreements with others.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf
or this one
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Sunday 15th of May 2011 08:34:32 PM
Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #27

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee

An article in the newspaper today about someone from Washington State who checked in to customs at Bedwell Harbour, lied to Canadian customs officials and was caught with 3 loaded handguns. He's been charged with numerous offences and faces up to 3 years of jail time. Make sure you hide your bullets as well as your guns when coming to Canada.

I can understand the desire to carry a gun in some cruise locations, but the west coast of US and Canada, I've never heard of a single incident that would justify carrying a revolver.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:36 AM   #28
FF
Guru

A Bit of history for our friends down under.

This lady may have the right idea!!!!!

---
---

DEPORT HER TO AMERICA !

The Rambo Granny of Melbourne , Australia

Gun-toting granny Ava Estelle, 81, was so ticked-off when
two thugs raped her 18-year-old granddaughter that she tracked the
unsuspecting ex-cons down... And shot off their testicles.

"The old lady spent a week hunting those men down and,when she found them, she took revenge on them in her own special way," said Melbourne police investigator Evan Delp.

Then she took a taxi to the nearest police station, laid the gun on the sergeant's desk and told him as calm as could be:"Those bastards will never rape anybody again, by God."

Cops say convicted rapist and robber Davis Furth, 33, lostboth his penis and his testicles when outraged Avaopened fire with a 9-mm pistol in the hotel room where he and former prison cell mate Stanley Thomas, 29, were holed up.

The wrinkled avenger also blew Thomas' testicles to kingdom come, but doctors managed to save his mangled penis, police said. "The one guy, Thomas, didn't lose his manhood, but the doctor I talked to said he won't be using it the way he used to," Detective Delp told reporters. "Both men are still in pretty bad shape, but I think they're just happy to be alive after what they've been through."

The Rambo Granny swung into action August 21 after her granddaughter Debbie was carjacked and raped in broad daylight by two knife-wielding creeps in a section of town bordering on skid row.

"When I saw the look on my Debbie's face that night inthe hospital, I decided I was going to go out and get those bastards myself 'cause I figured the Law
would go easy on them,"' recalled the retired library worker.

" And I wasn't scared of them, either - because I've gotme a gun and I've been shootin' all my life. And I wasn't dumb enough to turn it in when the law changed about owning one."

So, using a police artist's sketch of the suspects and Debbie's description of the sickos, tough-as-nails Ava spent seven days prowling the wino-infested neighborhood where the crime took place till she spotted the ill-fated rapists entering their flophouse hotel.

"I knew it was them the minute I saw 'em, but I shot a picture of 'em anyway and took it back to Debbie and she said sure as hell, it was them," the oldster recalled...

"So I went back to that hotel and found their room and knocked on the door, and the minute the big one opened the door, I shot 'em right square between the legs,

right where it would really hurt 'em most, you know. Then I went in and shot the other one as he backed up pleading to me to spare him. Then I went down to the police station and turned myself in."

Now, baffled lawmen are trying to figure out exactly how to
deal with the vigilante granny. "What she did was wrong, and she
broke the law, but it is difficult to throw an 81-year-old woman in
prison," Det. Delp said, "especially when 3 million people in the city want to nominate her for Mayor."

DEPORT HER TO AMERICA - WE NEED HER!
************************************************** ******************************
Australian Gun Law Update

Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts....

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44
percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. (Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did notand criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in 'successfully ridding Australian society of guns....' You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.

The Australian experience speaks for itself. Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note Americans, before it's too late!
Will you be one of the sheeple to turn yours in?
WHY? You will need it.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:08 AM   #29
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Sorry FF that whole story is BS have a look up on the web and you will see.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #30
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
shrimp wrote:
*Yeah me too.**So why all the gun laws?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #31
Per
Guru

does anyone know the rules in california?

i do find it humorous to note that in Countries (ie down under and Canada) where the Queen of England is still collecting taxes, the personal carriage of fire arms is prohibited, the exact reason it will never be illegal in USA to carry a gun (and the main reason it was put in the constitution).
Old 05-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Per wrote:
does anyone know the rules in california?

*It's best to go to the official source.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/
Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #33
Per
Guru

i looked there but cannot find anything related to boating.
is it same rules as for carriage for transport (in cars)??

also, since the USCG have jurisdiction on the water, what are their (federal rules)?
Old 05-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #34
Master and Commander

Firearms on Board

Quote:
Per wrote:

also, since the USCG have jurisdiction on the water, what are their (federal rules)?
*My sense is that while underway, the rules*related to motor vehicle transport (locked away and unloaded)*apply unless actively hunting or shooting (got ducks?)*if permitted at the location and done from a motorless vessel.* While anchored or berthed, home rules (guns can be loaded and ready to shoot if in personal possession of responsible adult)*would apply.* A camp (like at a campground)*is likened to a home.* (I've a loaded 357 five-shot*revolver beside me here at the home*computer, but I'm disinclined to take a firearm onboard.)

I'm not aware there are any federal laws that apply other than for the purchase limitations as it pertains to so-called*"interstate" commerce.* (You'll need a special permit for your fully automatic*machine gun.)

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 16th of May 2011 04:22:06 PM
Old 05-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #35
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
markpierce wrote:Per wrote:

*My sense is that while underway, the rules*related to motor vehicle transport (locked away and unloaded)*apply unless actively hunting or shooting (got ducks?)*if permitted at the location and done from a motorless vessel.* While anchored or berthed, home rules (guns can be loaded and ready to shoot if in personal possession of responsible adult)*would apply.* A camp (like at a campground)*is likened to a home.* (I've a loaded 357 five-shot*revolver beside me here at the home*computer, but I'm disinclined to take a firearm onboard.)

I'm not aware there are any federal laws that apply other than for the purchase limitations as it pertains to so-called*"interstate" commerce.* (You'll need a special permit for your fully automatic*machine gun.)

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 16th of May 2011 04:22:06 PM

*When on board my boat, I consider it my home.* Even the Bahamas will let you bring in a weapon if it is declared and the amunition is counted.* There are allot of boat thefts in the islands.* I do not want to be anchored, hear someone step on my boat, and be absolutely defenseless.* Anyone doing that without permission is invading my home.* They had better leave quickly.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #36
Guru

"I do not want to be anchored, hear someone step on my boat, and be absolutely defenseless.* Anyone doing that without permission is invading my home.* They had better leave quickly."

There is a saying something like "I'd rather be judged by twelve than be carried by six" that might be appropriate here.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #37
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

We are thinking about a tazer, though.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Per wrote:
i do find it humorous to note that in Countries (ie down under and Canada) where the Queen of England is still collecting taxes, the personal carriage of fire arms is prohibited, the exact reason it will never be illegal in USA to carry a gun (and the main reason it was put in the constitution).
*Per

I find your total lack of knowledge about what happens downunder very humourous, Australia pays absolutely nothing to the Queen of England, in fact we pay nothing to the Queen of Australia either, all taxes are collected by the Australian Taxation Office for the Commonwealth of Australia, probably about the same deal as taxes in the USA are collected by I believe you call it, *the dept of internal revenue.

One huge difference between of great countries is, we became our own country without resorting to war.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #39
Master and Commander

Quote:
GregJ wrote:
One huge difference between of great countries is, we became our own country without resorting to war.
*Yeah, but probably at least partly due to England not wanting to spend*lives and fortune fighting another revolution with its colonies.* There would have been no American revolutionary war if the motherland didn't want to fight.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #40
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

shrimp wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Yeah me too. So why all the gun laws?"

It goes back to 1996 and the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania, a lone gunman shot to death 35 people and injured another 20 odd.

This had a profound affect on the country. Up until this time our gun laws were pretty liberal, we had a history of pioneering exploration similar to that of the US and guns were part of the culture especially in the outback, not quite to the extent that is prevalent in the US, but there nevertheless.

After the massacre there was widespread feeling that we had been too lax in our attitude to gun control and this was supported by the conservative government of the day. In the following year strict laws in regard to gun possession were introduced and a 12 month amnesty for handing in the firearms was enacted.Many thousands of weapons were handed in to be destroyed,including my three rifles, we kinda felt we owed it to the people that died that day.

This did not affect farmers etc who had a valid reason for possessing guns, but the onus of proof for wanting to keep a firearm for anyone else was pretty tough.These measures were almost universally accepted and had strong support from the police in all states.

Semi automatic weapons and any hand guns were prohibited.

That incident changed the prevailing attitude of gun ownership in this country in a single afternoon. In this we believe the right of the society at large overrides the rights of the individual.

I'm not saying that a Port Arthur could not happen again , but we can make it as difficult as possible for people to get their hands on the weapons.

By the way Per, the Queen has not been collecting taxes in this country for a couple of hundred years, and I don't believe that the reason the Americans still Carry firearms is to protect themselves for an 88 year old queen, Prince Phillip on the other hand, that I may understand.

Closed Thread