firearms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To take this in a slightly different direction....

At some point I expect to be cruising in parts of the world where things are a bit more dangerous, and might consider keeping a shotgun on the boat. There is probably only a 25% chance I will, but I would consider it.

And I definitely expect to cruise in some areas where carrying a gun while ashore is either recommended or required because of bears - polar bears in particular.

If my preference were a shotgun (semi automatic or pump action), what ammo would you use in the two situations above?

My desire for cruising less safe parts of the world would be something that would hurt like hell, but least likely to be fatal. I'm thinking bird shot or even rock salt?

And for bears, I'm thinking I'd want something with lots of stopping power, so maybe slugs? They knock me over when I shoot them, so I figure they will knock over what ever they hit.

A hand gun is out of the question, and I don't think a rifle would be appropriate except perhaps for bears?

For bears, an Alaskan friend who spent a lot of time on the Kenai Peninsula area fishing around brown bears (grizzlies) recommends a 12 guage shotgun. A short barrel stainless pump. Mossberg and others make them. First shot to the head, double 00 buckshot. This blinds the bear and makes the following shots with slugs easier. I personally have a CZ tactical 12 Guage with an extended mag tube giving 8+1 rounds, but it's not stainless and corrosion would be a concern on the boat and beach.

Regarding non lethal 12 Guage rounds, you could research what the cops use for riot control. Rock salt may work.

You mentioned that a handgun was out of the question. If it was an option for bears you'd want a minimum of 44 magnum, and maybe 454 Casull if your constitution is up to it. I carry a Ruger 44 mag Alaskan with 305 grain hard cast lead slugs,. These are punishing to fire, but at the point of extremis, I doubt that I'd notice with my life on the line.

Ken,

You are correct on the .44 mag rounds for bear. While a .44 mag sounds impressive as a bear gun, you wouldn't hunt bear with a 30-30 and a .44 has less stopping power. You need to use a round that can provide deep penetration and not expand and hard cast lead bullets are the best thing.

Tom

I found a paper on the gun regulations for Svalbard, Norway, where polar bears are present. Unlike many gun regulations which prohibit the use of various guns, they require that you carry a gun any time you are out and about.

They answered my question about a rifle vs shotgun with slug. Their only recommended gun is a rifle, and it must have a min caliber of .308 or 30-06, and mushrooming bullets.

A shotgun with with slugs is acceptable, but not recommended. It has to be min 12ga, semi automatic or pump action, with a minimum of 4 rounds.

The rifle is preferred because you can shoot it more accurately. You are supposed to fire deterrent rounds which usually scare the bear away, but if it continues to approach, you need to shoot to kill. They say to aim for the chest or shoulder, and specifically not the head. Apparently their heads are so muscular and bony that bullets are often deflected.

People I know who have been there just rented guns which probably makes the most sense.

Polar bears are amazing creatures, and it would be awful to have to shoot one. As always, avoidance and deterrence are preferred.

They answered my question about a rifle vs shotgun with slug. Their only recommended gun is a rifle, and it must have a min caliber of .308 or 30-06, and mushrooming bullets.

A shotgun with with slugs is acceptable, but not recommended. It has to be min 12ga, semi automatic or pump action, with a minimum of 4 rounds.

The rifle is preferred because you can shoot it more accurately. You are supposed to fire deterrent rounds which usually scare the bear away, but if it continues to approach, you need to shoot to kill. They say to aim for the chest or shoulder, and specifically not the head. Apparently their heads are so muscular and bony that bullets are often deflected.

Polar bears are amazing creatures, and it would be awful to have to shoot one. As always, avoidance and deterrence are preferred.

I mentioned in the other thread an '80s study by Alaska Fish and Game, about how to bet arm forestry folks, also considering various ancillary issues with stature, experience, etc.

The top "penetration" winners were (from memory) the .460 Weatherby Magnum, the .458 Winchester Magnum, the .45-70 US Govt. (handloaded up), and then lesser rounds like the 375 H&H Magnum, etc. OTOH, the 12-gauge shotgun with slugs was rated well, too. No handguns met their minimum recommendations, but the .44 Rem Mag on the hip was at least given honorable mention compared to a rifle leaning against a tree "over there" somewhere. (This was all before the .450 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, .500 S&W, etc.)

That said... while one well-aimed shot from a .460 might be fine, multiple -- well-aimed -- shots from a long-action, heavy-recoiling bolt rifle... not so quick, for most people. And that "well-aimed" part, even for the first shot, is a huge variable, in light of charging bear. I could see where a shotgun could overcome the disadvantage; yes, not so precise in placement, not quite as good for penetration, but not bad and generally faster for follow-up shots.

A .45-70 (or for some other specialty cartridges) lever rifle with handloads could be much quicker for many, assuming the action is smooth enough... but that's usually beyond the interest or need of typical hikers...

Jim mentioned the bear spray, currently apparently thought to be the best Plan A.

-Chris

I posted this on another thread:

Grizzly Bears or Brown Bears

About 15-20 years ago, some colleagues of mine began working on some of the salmon spawning rivers on the coast with large populations of grizzlies. They were required to take a 2 day course with Ministry of the Environment (MoE) Protection officers, bear biologists and some Department of Fisheries and Oceans personnel. In that course they learned about specifics of bear behaviour and safety around Bears. They were also trained in handling shotguns with slugs, the preferred ammunition for lethal deterrence. They had to get off some number of shots in 5 seconds, which they practiced several times. All had massive bruising on their shoulders after this training. And...these guys were all avid hunters. Learning how to deliver rounds into a charging bear emphasized to them just how difficult it was to do properly and with effect.

I remain in regular contact with a friend I have known since I was in early elementary school. Tony Hamilton has been a grizzly biologist with the MoE since the early 1980's. He says they now believe that bear spray is the best deterrence towards grizzly bears as it requires less training and you don't have to actually hit the bear in the face for it to be effective. It's effect is broad based. Plus if you are being rolled around the ground by a bear at least you have a chance if the bear spray is in you hand. Probably more difficult to get a shotgun to work in that case. Plus the bear gets to live.

Jim

Ken,

You are correct on the .44 mag rounds for bear. While a .44 mag sounds impressive as a bear gun, you wouldn't hunt bear with a 30-30 and a .44 has less stopping power. You need to use a round that can provide deep penetration and not expand and hard cast lead bullets are the best thing.
Tom

Tom, just as a side comment on bear defense ammo, the Buffalo Bore website has a lot info for various rounds and their application. BB is located in northern Idaho, and there are a lot of black bears there, and in northern Montana. They are very knowledgeable about what works in various guns. Surprisingly, some 44 mag revolvers can't handle the heavy rounds like the 305s that I carry but there are other options.

I just got off the phone with my grizzly biologist friend, Tony as mentioned above.

The evidence is now unequivocal: bear spray is far more effective in stopping a bear attack than lethal deterrence with a fire arm. In the case of grizzlies, you pretty much have to break both shoulders and or achieve a hit to the heart to stop a grizzly. Tony emphasises, you really have to be an expert marksman with nerves of steal to shoot and kill an attacking bear. Be honest with yourself and your capabilities. And...a wounded bear continues to attack. On the other hand you do not need to actually hit a bear with bear spray. It has been shown that once that bear gets "a snoot full" of capsicum, it breaks off the attack. The definitive book on bear behaviour and bear safety is by Steve Herrero, professor emeritus from the University of Calgary: Bear Attacks. Their causes and avoidance.
https://www.amazon.ca/Bear-Attacks-Their-Causes-Avoidance/dp/0771040598
This is probably a good book to read if you expect to spend any amount of time in bear country. Other useful reference sources:
Bear Safety - IGBC Online
Using bear spray:
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/bearspray.htm

Grizzly attacks are usually territorial in nature, protecting food, etc. Predatory attacks are rare. Black bears on the other hand are much more prone to predatory attacks, usually by underage inexperienced males. Tony mentioned that with black bears it's much more important for two people to work together to repulse attack. Working individually, you will likely loose.

After talking to Tony again my suggestion would be to:

1)forget the gun.

2) educate yourself about bear behaviour and safety.

3) get some bear spray and learn how to use it.

Jim

If your going to get a shotgun get a semi-auto, unless your very experienced with pump action. I've seen many "experienced" hunters miss a second shot with an incomplete cycle or racking of the next shell. It's embarrassing when bird hunting, could be deadly under different circumstances.

Ya'll have fun with that bear spray. If a bear is protecting his food supply his nose is already probably full of rotten meat stench and that's why he doesn't smell YOU and run off. We have bear attacks up here on a regular basis, and it usually happens so fast the victim has no chance to protect themselves.

In addition to bears, we have to worry about rabid animals and I haven't read any studies about bear spray being effective for that. Black bears are relatively easy to kill, in my opinion bear spray is the "politically correct" answer to save the animals life, never mind yours...

There is a fun clip of a tourist in Southeast Alaska watching a bear trash her kayak while she sprays it with her bear spray. Once deployed, the bear just trashes her kayak faster once the bear spray hits it. Watch that, and then tell me you want to trust bear spray to save your life...

I remember when they first issued us pepper spray and told us it would subdue human attackers.

Bwahahahaha!!!!!

Last edited:
Just curious: Aside from Doug, has anyone else on this forum been charged by a bear and successfully killed one?

Jim

I bought an inexpensive 12 ga pump. Painted the stock bright orange and stenciled "Flare Gun" on the stock. Keep 12-ga flares hanging from the foregrip. Coast Guard stopped me and thought it was a great idea. I tested it WAY back on a country road and it does indeed fling a flare way up high.

There may or may not be a box of buckshot on board as well, for those 2-legged varmints.

Ya'll have fun with that bear spray. If a bear is protecting his food supply his nose is already probably full of rotten meat stench and that's why he doesn't smell YOU and run off. We have bear attacks up here on a regular basis, and it usually happens so fast the victim has no chance to protect themselves.

The studies don't support your contention, as per the following. In fact firearms bearers suffered the same injury rates whether they discharged their firearms or not.

Efficacy of firearms for bear deterrence in Alaska. 2012.
Tom Smith, Stephen Herrera, Cali Strong Layton, Randy Larsen, Katheryn Johnson

Abstract
We compiled, summarized, and reviewed 269 incidents of bear–human conflict involving firearms that occurred in Alaska during 1883–2009. Encounters involving brown bears (Ursus arctos; 218 incidents, 81%), black bears (Ursus americanus; 30 incidents, 11%), polar bears (Ursus maritimus; 6 incidents, 2%), and 15 (6%) unidentified species provided insight into firearms success and failure. A total of 444 people and at least 367 bears were involved in these incidents. We found no significant difference in success rates (i.e., success being when the bear was stopped in its aggressive behavior) associated with long guns (76%) and handguns (84%). Moreover, firearm bearers suffered the same injury rates in close encounters with bears whether they used their firearms or not. Bears were killed in 61% (n = 162) of bear–firearms incidents. Additionally, we identified multiple reasons for firearms failing to stop an aggressive bear. Using logistic regression, the best model for predicting a successful outcome for firearm users included species and cohort of bear, human activity at time of encounter, whether or not the bear charged, and if fish or game meat was present. Firearm variables (e.g., type of gun, number of shots) were not useful in predicting outcomes in bear–firearms incidents. Although firearms have failed to protect some users, they are the only deterrent that can lethally stop an aggressive bear. Where firearms have failed to protect people, we identified contributing causes. Our findings suggest that only those proficient in firearms use should rely on them for protection in bear country.

Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska. 2008

TOM S. SMITH,1 Wildlife Sciences Program, Faculty of Plant and Wildlife Sciences, Brigham Young University, 451 WIDB, Provo, UT 84602, USA
STEPHEN HERRERO, Environmental Science Program, Faculty of Environmental Design, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB T2N 1N4, Canada
TERRY D. DEBRUYN, United States National Park Service, Alaska Support Office, 240 W 5th Avenue, Anchorage, AK 99501, USA
JAMES M. WILDER, Minerals Management Service, 3801 Centerpoint Drive, Suite 500, Anchorage, AK 99503-5823, USA

ABSTRACT We present a comprehensive look at a sample of bear spray incidents that occurred in Alaska, USA, from 1985 to 2006. We
analyzed 83 bear spray incidents involving brown bears (Ursus arctos; 61 cases, 74%), black bears (Ursus americanus; 20 cases, 24%), and polar bears (Ursus maritimus; 2 cases, 2%). Of the 72 cases where persons sprayed bears to defend themselves, 50 (69%) involved brown bears, 20 (28%) black bears, and 2 (3%) polar bears. Red pepper spray stopped bears’ undesirable behavior 92% of the time when used on brown bears, 90%for black bears, and 100%for polar bears. Of all persons carrying sprays, 98%were uninjured by bears in close-range encounters. All bear inflicted injuries (n¼3) associated with defensive spraying involved brown bears and were relatively minor (i.e., no hospitalization required). In 7% (5 of 71) of bear spray incidents, wind was reported to have interfered with spray accuracy, although it reached the bear in all cases. In 14% (10 of 71) of bear spray incidents, users reported the spray having had negative side effects upon themselves, ranging from minor irritation (11%, 8 of 71) to near incapacitation (3%, 2 of 71). Bear spray represents an effective alternative to lethal force and should be considered as an option for personal safety for those recreating and working in bear country. (JOURNAL OF WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT 72(3):640–645;
2008)

Jim

I would contend that many of the pepper spray incidents would never have resulted in an attack, and that often the spray was deployed with no effect while credit was given by the deployer for it's effectiveness. It makes a much better story that way...

I would also contend that many bears are killed out of fear of being attacked rather than because they DID attack. Further I will contend that if you ARE attacked neither a rifle nor bear spray is likely to be effective. It just happens too fast, and the element of surprise is too great.

I believe the studies are by people very interested in protecting the bears, and that most people carrying firearms to protect themselves probably don't have the skills under duress to do an effective job and are likely to over react resulting in the un-neccesary death of a bear.

The only time I was ever stalked by a bear, I was sitting next to a moose kill the bear had been feeding on, and I am certain it had no idea I was a human because it couldn't smell anything but dead moose.

Do what you are comfortable with in the woods, and so will I.

I too have "formal" bear deterrence training and have to requalify every 2 years. Bear spray is the deterrence of choice, followed by horns and bangers.

I also had formal training and had to requalify quarterly on the combat tables which involves movement, reloading, shooting from different positions, weak hand and darkened range with a flashlight in non-firing hand. Expert in pistol, Sharpshooter in rifle.

In the bush, I carry bear spray and a horn. On my boat I have no firearms.

I would consider a SS shotgun if my travels were to take me to a place with quantifiable risks of piracy or hostage.

I've got nothing against gun ownership. I used to own when I lived in the States. I just didn't need or want one in Canada. Although I really do miss being able to own a Colt 1911.

Just curious: Aside from Doug, has anyone else on this forum been charged by a bear and successfully killed one?

Jim

Wifey B: Likewise has anyone here on the forum been charged by a bear and successfully killed by it. :confused:

I learned long ago, "Don't Poke the Bear."

Wifey B: Likewise has anyone here on the forum been charged by a bear and successfully killed by it. :confused:

I learned long ago, "Don't Poke the Bear."

Well, we know for sure that there is no one on the forum who was attacked and killed by a charging bear. :D

I was struck by the comment earlier that black bears are more prone to attack than brown. I have had lots of encounters with black bears while hiking. Because of this maybe I am too complacent? I frankly never worry about them. I do endeavor to make sure that food is not a temptation for them and keep a sharp eye out for cubs, but I have considered them to be fairly predictable.

Maybe I need to rethink this?

Warning major hijack:

Personally, I think you are all a bunch of wimps......

This is what we have to contend with.

https://youtu.be/djK_ucSYpaw

Mind you we also have this.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/7718a3594f90a9fd4ed89d8b04446eef

This photo of 40-year-old Kerry McLoughlin fishing at Cahills Crossing, East Alligator River in Kakadu National Park, was taken moments before he was attacked and killed by a crocodile40-year-old Kerry McLoughlin who was fishing with mates when he was taken by a crocodile that launched from the water and decapitated him in 1987.

Last edited:

Jim

Jim, a fair question to ask. For me, no I haven't. But several times over the years, I have been surprised by black bears, both in BC and in Alaska. On the other side of the beach, hidden by a log, coming out of the woods. In all these encounters, the bears and I both retreated. We had the same MO and the same goal, to get away, unhurt. I would love that to always be the case, but there are no assurances that I won't meet a mother and a cub. Now, you have a problem. Or an aggressive brown bear protecting territory that you stumbled into.

On the spray, I don't dispute your facts. But this is an issue akin to single vs twin engines on a boat. Neither side will ever be convinced of the merits of the others's opinion. I think this is largely a cultural issue, US vs Canada. To an Alaskan, or others like me who align with their values, being in the woods unharmed or with a can of spray is incomprehensible. This is hardwired in our culture and in many individuals, me included. Sometimes, you have to agree to disagree.

I remember when they first issued us pepper spray and told us it would subdue human attackers.

Bwahahahaha!!!!!

There the matter of 'Up Wind' and 'Down Wind'. Now on this I have witnessed folks who were involved with this application of spray, No damage to the bear, and the folks after clearing out their eyes and noses, were no worst off, but the hooting and laughing over the "Near Death" situation, (Greatly exaggeration for the benefit of we listeners), was inclusive of our own laughing. In agreement with each other of involved including the guide who was armed with a shotgun, opted for the spray, the next encounter would include the activation of the shotgun! In this case, the group was in a somewhat safe zone of a watching platform the bear chose to visit while they were encountered. The bear held the entry and they were captive.
The bear left at its convenience, laughing no doubt at the jigging and dancing of those strange objects!!

(Annan Creek Bradfield Canal a couple of summers ago}

Al-Ketchikan

On the spray, I don't dispute your facts. But this is an issue akin to single vs twin engines on a boat. Neither side will ever be convinced of the merits of the others's opinion. I think this is largely a cultural issue, US vs Canada. To an Alaskan, or others like me who align with their values, being in the woods unharmed or with a can of spray is incomprehensible. This is hardwired in our culture and in many individuals, me included. Sometimes, you have to agree to disagree.

And there in ends the discussion:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Al-Ketchikan

I hike the beaches, logging roads, and woods of SE Alaska all summer. I have on occasion carried a handgun, a shotgun, and bear spray. The guns are optional but I always carry the bear spray. Most of it is "threat" related. Where am I going, what can I expect here, and how close is the encounter likely to be. One day last summer I was hiking a logging road in Appleton Cove off of Peril St. I had bear spray and a handgun along with the dog (The dog doesn't chase bears, deer, or porcupines. His hackles go up and he might growl.) I encountered so much sign of recent brown bear activity, I went through the woods to the beach and walked back that way. The dog even walked behind me. I have since taken that road off my list since it is pretty overgrown. I generally like to walk where I can see 75-100 yards. On several beaches I have seen 4-5 black bears around the bay while walking. On a beach near Hoonah, I saw 4 brown bears scattered around. On occasion I have practiced stalking the black bears just to keep up on hunting skills. At the hundred yard point or so I make my presence known. Most times the bears leave. A few look up and keep eating. Their eyesight isn't the best so they didn't view me as a threat. I have come much closer to black bears (20 yards) and we both stopped, looked, and the bear left as the pistol, shotgun, or bear spray came up to the ready position.

In almost 40 years in Alaska I have only discharged a firearm once to scare a bear off. That was last fall caribou hunting just south of the Brooks Range. We had three caribou in camp and a young grizzly decided he wanted them. I spent 4 hours standing between the bear and the meat. He never got closer than 150 yards, but kept probing. Once when he crossed inside about 150 yards. I put a round about 10 feet to his right and he ran off a couple hundred yards, but still kept circling. Our air taxi operator finally got in picked up the meat and we got in the rafts and headed down stream. From what we heard, that bear had been bothering some guides upstream for the last week or so. Sooner or later someone will take him. I'm pretty much done hunting bears. If I had been forced to shoot him, I would have to skin him, remove the skull, and hand both over to the state. Where we were, if I shot a bear defending meat in the field, I have to report it and surrender the hide and skull. It's not worth the trouble.

Tom

Tom, rather than lift your submission here, I will join with you in respect to handling a bear kill. Not a friendly followup with the requirements.
The same issue of bears on the logging road was encountered last fall in Shelter Cove, Carroll Inlet (30-30 Marlin). While deer hunting every 50-100 feet fresh bear scat. Being close to a fish stream was the attraction. While Blacks are less aggressive, having the thought of that much scat included cubs and she bears, After about a hour of road walk and NOT seeing any bear, I thought a cup of coffee and sandwich back at the boat a better goal.

Good post Tom, points out the 'Rest of the Story'.

Al-Ketchikan

Mossberg 500 pistol grip shotgun on board with 3" 00 buck gives you what protection you would want if needed. A concealed carry pistol is a plus. The Mossberg Mariner is available in pistol grip format.

No flare gun is going to work, pepperspray is not going to work. If a flare gun and papperspray would work, cops would no longer be carrying Glocks. If guns were not required for a peaceful society then we would not have guns today. All of the theories about cops being enough for you and you don't need guns is like counting on that second engine on an airplane when the first one fails. The second one will take you all the way to the crash site, but that's as far as you can count on it.
Now I will try to get back to the topic of legality on the ICW.
It is perfectly legal to carry a weapon on the boat in any state: Federal law allows the transport of weapons in vessels if they are unloaded, rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use. This law is vague, but as long as your nice to the boarding officers they will most likely be nice to you. I have never had a coast guard officer hassle me about it, same thing with FWC. Only difference is FWC wants to take control of all guns, while the FWC seems to just make sure you know not to touch them while they are there. USCG also has taken the serial numbers each time they board and put it on my yellow sheets.

You have to comply with local restrictions on the ICW, which could be military bases, national parks etc. Like much of the ICW in Florida, at least the gulf coast, could be considered military property. I would just try to avoid stopping in those waters.
I have been hailed to be boarded by the USCG before while underway, and informed them I wanted to stay clutched up during the boarding to ensure there was no question that I was stopped because of weapons on the boat, being within the military boundary on the chart. After a minute of pure silence on the radio, seemed like an hour, the blue light went off, and they said they would come find me a few miles down the ICW. Which they did about 30 minutes later. Granted, they see me every weekend just about pass their station, and they know I only make about 10mph. Point is, they are for the most part, at least in the south, on the side of freedom and freedom by design requires guns.

If you don't think you need a gun on a boat, just ask this guy when you get to whatever your chosen afterlife is. He was on a sail from Alabama to Port St Joe last year. He was killed while on his boat, and buried in a shallow grave ON A MILITARY BASE. He was killed less than 1 nautical mile from the Pensacola Coast Guard station. He was killed while his boat was literally sitting right on the boundary line of a national park and an active US Military base. He was killed while anchored within 100 yards of at least 20 other boats and probably close to 80 humans. He was killed between 7PM and 7AM, his body was loaded into his dinghy, where he was then moved to the beach about 1400 yards away. The local cops, while they tried, along with the FBI, Coast guard, national park service, and FWC, were unable to find his body. It was his family member that found his body while walking on the beach looking for him. His arm was sticking out of the sand at the high water mark on the beach. The coast guard, cops, and FWC probably passed the body at least 30 times in the days before they found him. Less than 200 yards away. Most likely over 200 aircraft flew over his body as its on the end of the runway.

Florida man charged with murder in death of missing Gulf Shores boater | AL.com

You don't have to carry a gun to be safe, but if it comes down to it, its like someone said, its like a fire extinguisher. I would rather have it and not need it then not have it and need it.

It is perfectly legal to carry a weapon on the boat in any state: Federal law allows the transport of weapons in vessels if they are unloaded, rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use.

Would you have a pointer to that law? I'd like to read it in it's entirety.

I was struck by the comment earlier that black bears are more prone to attack than brown. I have had lots of encounters with black bears while hiking. Because of this maybe I am too complacent? I frankly never worry about them. I do endeavor to make sure that food is not a temptation for them and keep a sharp eye out for cubs, but I have considered them to be fairly predictable.

I've read three things about black bears versus the bigger critters, all of which maybe sound plausible.

1) There are more black bear/human encounters: more black bears, scattered over more territory especially in the lower 48 and Canada, with more humans traipsing around those forests... compared to browns/grizzlies/polars.

2) Bear-watching (on purpose) is often about the larger bears, and more controlled circumstances: humans can be more prepared, and usually intentionally take more precautions, on a bear watch compared to other human activity in the woods (hiking, photography, deer hunting, etc.)... and often human sightseers on a bear watch are accompanied by an armed guide who generally has a clue (and probably sprays, horns, bells, etc.)... so chance uncontrolled encounters are less common

3) Black bears can often climb smaller trees: trees may or may not provide safe haven from black bears, whereas the larger bears more often can't get to you. (Assumes candidate climb-able tree nearby, and skill to get up it.)

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom