Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #21

City: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Good advice and I'll try my best to use it. Thanks

Old 03-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
In some areas it is worth the effort to keep borders OFF the boat. Our technique was a 12V Sears 20 mile cattle fence shocker. Unless its a metal boat most stanchions are insulated enough as mounted to be wired in the circuit. When off the boat we use a lock that will not cause boat damage when its broken off. A device called Burgalarmist is trip wired to the entry , You may sleep on deck if its tripped till you get all the Mace vacuumed up. As a minimum a wired OTS door mat wired to a solenoid to light the boat and blow the horn would be cheap and quick.Wire it in so IF removed , the circuit activates. Locks keep out honest folks , IF the dink engine looks beat (some spray paint on the lower unit sections ) and well secured some locals will be too lazy to go for it.
Thanks I'll check into the devices you recommended

Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 AM   #23

[QUOTE="rwidman;223146"]My thought is, if you're thinking of going someplace where you'll need firearms for personal protection, maybe it would be safest to just no go there. Just like on land. It's not going to be much fun if you're in constant fear of being attacked.[/QUOTE

Unfortunately we live in this world and can't avoid all of it's perils
Old 03-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #24

Good suggestions
Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
With the minor draw of LED simply lighting the boat might be worthwhile .
Thanks we have really good LED lighting but I think we 're going to ad 2 motion detector lights hooked to sirens to hopefully scare off intruders
Old 03-31-2014, 11:23 AM   #26
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I think one of the biggest causes of violence is when a criminal boards a boat looking to steal, makes it into the cabin and surprises the sleeping owners. Maybe the criminal thought the boat was unoccupied, who knows. But once inside and someone wakes, all h&ll can break loose. With guns involved, bad things can happen.

Once I was tied up to a dock in SC, and left the salon door open as weather was nice. I was boarded in the middle of the night. By a raccoon!!! I woke with an adrenaline rush, scared the beast who then was bouncing off the walls, that boosted my adrenaline further. Lights were out and I had no idea what was going on until the critter had already exited the boat. If I had a gun in my hand, who knows what would have happened.

I do keep guns on the boat, but am well aware that they are of very limited use, and also that they do pose a real risk. A good argument can be made to both carry and to not carry. I am close to being on the fence. A little to the carry side, though.

For some element of safety, I keep the guns in one locker and ammo in another distant drawer.

Closed Thread