Old 03-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #21

RE: Facebook

My wife "Faces" on facebook. I "boatbook" on trawlerforum....

JMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Tim,I do both and am having a good time. FB is really not much different than TF except for the huge numbers of people involved and the select group part. It's a little like me going from Thorne Bay to London. I got on FB to look at my sister's pictures and found out she didn't have any pictures. Then a bunch of family people showed up. Then I got on Classmates. I chatted w several people from a long time ago and had fun doing so. Then one of my new CM friends received a criminal threat and I was connected to her so I unplugged myself from CM and haven't been back. I would go now if I had the time but I'm having too much fun on TF and FB. I also post on BoatDesign.net and Willard Boat Owners (WBO) on yahoo groups. I've been blogging w people from eastern Med countries and some of their friends * ...a few in the states. It's a bit like having Pen Pals. I'd like to chat w more people from places like Iran, India, Turkey and other places that are not part of western culture. Remember that lady w the alligator on her lap that I posted a while back? Well she lives in Tel Aviv and is a FB "friend" and I'm downloading a book written by her. My security strategy is to keep things so only "friends" can see your info and choose friends carefully. I should add that I have absolutely NOTHING financial on my computer. No bank stuff or any other money related info. I have an accnt w Ameriprise Financial and none or that info is in my computer * * ........
but I'm on Face Book.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #23
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Quote:
nomadwilly*wrote:*I have an accnt w Ameriprise Financial and none or that info is in my computer * * ........
Eric,* You must be a "buy and hold" type of investor,* Without using my computer managing trading would be no fun.

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:38 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Facebook?* I already spend too much time at the computer.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Facebook

John,
That's what I have a Financial Advisor for.
With a good account (invested in the right things w the right amount of diversification and in far enough and not too deep) one dos'nt need to yo yo much.

One more thing about FB is that I've got deveral hundred photos of mostly Alaska and everyone's invited to browse.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 6th of March 2011 04:14:15 PM
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #26
Doc
Guru

Nomadwilly stated:

I should add that I have absolutely NOTHING financial on my computer. No bank stuff or any other money related info. I have an accnt w Ameriprise Financial and none or that info is in my computer ........
but I'm on Face Book.

I keep all my general financial information on my computer. I use online banking for paying bills. The bank has several fail safes to make sure that no unauthorized persons can get into my accounts.* I also use Quicken to keep up with my checkbook and my list of accounts. I don't see how anyone can get along today without keeping financial information on their computer.

As for Facebook, one should never enter anything in a post* or a profile or anywhere else*that is of a financial nature. Facebook is useful if one keeps it under tight controls.

Has anyone ever heard of an evil doer getting financial information out of Facebook that was not entered into Facebook by the user? What I am asking is, has Facebook ever been used as a vehicle to gain financial information from someone's computer?
Can one go through*Facebook into a persons Quicken or online banking accounts?

I would not be surprised but I have never heard of it.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #27
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Doc:

Google "facebook financial scams" and "facebook scams" and "facebook privacy."**There are a few problems, the latest being a Feb 28 article I read in the WSJ about Mark Z selling your information such as name, address, telephone number and interests.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #28
Doc
Guru

Sunchaser,

Can you be more specific please?
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #29
Grand Vizier

I use Facebook mainly to connect with old high school buddies, and of course to try to recruit team members for a U.S. Buzkashi team.

For online financial trading, the safest and cheapest I know of is Interactive Brokers.* The cost to trade is 1/2 of 1 cent per share, so 1000 shares costs you $5.00.* 100 shares costs the minimum $1.00.* For security you have the usual username and password, but you also have to have the secret Annie Oakley decoder ring to enter in codes from a card they send you that is unique to your account.* Someone could steal your username and password, but without the card codes, they can't do anything.* A picture of the challenge screen is below, as well as my local Buzkashi team in practice. (I'm the guy with the tan colored hat waving the hammer).

I use IB for commodities trading, but you can trade anything on it.* It is flat out the coolest trading platform there is, with capabilities far beyond any other platform.

[img]download.spark?ID=885660&aBID=115492[/img][img]download.spark?ID=885661&aBID=115492[/img]

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote