From East To West Coast By Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ben2go

Guru
Vessel Name
Shipoopi
Vessel Make
derilic sailboat
Has anyone made the voyage from east coast US to west coast US on a personal boat?Which route did you take to get there?How long?I'm just curious how one would make this trip.I know people that have canoed/kayaked the Rio Grande,but that can't be done on big boat.

Read the book River Horse by William Least Heat Moon. He went from the Atlantic off New York City to the mouth of the Columbia River in a 22 foot C-Dory with twin Honda outboards. Great writing and a fascinating perspective on the country as he observed and experienced it on his journey.

Greetings,
Mr. ben. I suspect River Horse took the most advantageous route to cross the county albeit with several portages over divides etc. The only other alternative is the Panama route on its own bottom or aboard a larger vessel.

RTF is correct. River Horse was trailered a few times to get around obstacles like dams and over the Continental Divide. While Moon's objective was to cross the nation by water, the purpose of the trip was more to observe and learn things about the nation as he went rather than travel every inch of the way on the boat's bottom.

In this respect it was very much in the style of his previous book, Blue Highway, in which he traveled the country by road.

And obviously a 22 foot C-Dory is a far cry from a 30,000 pound diesel cruiser. Getting one of them across the country will either involve a professional trucking company or the Panama Canal.

Last edited:
Interesting.I know a large enough boat with crazy long range could take the northern route but that's one heck of a long ride without civilization.The Panama route has been done by some fairly light boats,also takes a long time because of waiting out weather.Nothing I'm considering at this point.Just curious cat.

The only other alternative is the Panama route on its own bottom or aboard a larger vessel.

... or on a train or trailer.

232323232%7Ffp635%3C5%3Enu%3D3834%3E345%3E%3B55%3E2925345%3C46245ot1lsi

Greetings,
Hmmm....forgot about the northern route but unless your middle name is Amundsen you'll need some of these...

thumbnail.aspx

Don't need no pups ... just a comfortable vessel like Arcadia or Octopus.

Since the ice is going away, there are quite a few yachts making the transit these days and we will see a lot more in the future.

Attachments

• ArcadiaBerg.jpg
    ArcadiaBerg.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 134
Since the ice is going away, there are quite a few yachts making the transit these days and we will see a lot more in the future.

The glaciers were disappearing in the 1930s, too, before a subsequent cooling period in which they grew until the 2000s.

Old photos provide Greenland glacier story - UPI.com

It's called changing weather and it's been with us since the beginning of time. But the new belief system called "Climate Change" has a growing gullible flock led by 'infallible scientists.'

Follow the money...

too many (deluded) people think they can affect weather and climate!
eyepopping.gif
laughing.gif
lmao.gif

Don't need no pups ... just a comfortable vessel like Arcadia or Octopus.

Perhaps soon we will have the climate the Vikings had in colonizing Greenland and foraying into North America. And perhaps not.

Jeez, can't you guys just accept the fact (and maybe even enjoy it) that a lot of yachts are now including the Northwest Passage in their cruising plans?

Why do you have to ancorize a travel opportunity into some kind of political tirade?

The glaciers were disappearing in the 1930s, too, before a subsequent cooling period in which they grew until the 2000s.

The South Cascade glacier in Washington State, a glacier I am very familiar with due to my association with Kenmore Air Harbor, has been receding steadily from the late 1970s when Kenmore began supporting the research station on the glacier until today, and it continues to recede. Today it is but a fraction of the size it was in the late 70s. The scientist in charge of the South Cascade Glacier project gave me aerial photos of the glacier taken every year from 1975 through 2005. The glacier receded every one of those years.

I could see me doing the southern route after my children are out of the house and own their own,only eight more years.Then it's the convincing of the girlfriend to go or leave.:angel: :lol:

I have 2 friends that moved a boat from Cali, to Texas via the Panama route. Said the paperwork was a pain and they were boarded over and over during the trek through Panama. This was just after 9/11 So i am not sure if its slacked off now or what.

I have 2 friends that moved a boat from Cali, to Texas via the Panama route. Said the paperwork was a pain and they were boarded over and over during the trek through Panama. This was just after 9/11 So i am not sure if its slacked off now or what.

Oh there is a whole lot involved with getting through the canal.You're required to have at least one skipper and four line handlers.There's a whole lot more requirements than that.Through certain sections you get boarded by what we know as a pilot.I think they're called something different down there. PANAMA Cruising Guide | YachtPals.com

In 2004/2005 we went from Trinidad to North Carolina with all the stops. Puerto Rico was the only place that we had any contact with officials on the water. Everyone was polite and courteous.

We are now on our way back to Trinidad from Alaska. We have been bordered in Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia. Again everyone was polite and courteous.

And why all the boardings? Drugs. So no drugs, no problem!

There's paperwork along the way, sure, but a pain no. We figure a day to check into a country and a day to check out. It's all part of the adventure. Talk to a European cruising the United States. He'll tell what a pain it is.

Attachments

• Cartagena 006.jpg
    Cartagena 006.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Picture 1290.jpg
    Picture 1290.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 101
There's paperwork along the way, sure, but a pain no. We figure a day to check into a country and a day to check out. It's all part of the adven tture. Talk to a European cruising the United States. He'll tell what a pain it is.

So true, Larry. We are signed up under the "trusted traveler" local boater option. I still expect a visit from about 3 customs agents when we return. Boy, you had better have your prescription meds in the original bottles. They check it all. There is still the option they have of making us go to a port of entry with a customs office. The last time we had to rent a car and drive to Riviera Beach. Shall we say that they were less than warm and friendly. Just 2 senior citizens trying to do the right thing.:banghead:

A good friend of mine said that we should have stayed illegal. We missed all kinds of benefits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom