Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
From East To West Coast By Boat

Has anyone made the voyage from east coast US to west coast US on a personal boat?Which route did you take to get there?How long?I'm just curious how one would make this trip.I know people that have canoed/kayaked the Rio Grande,but that can't be done on big boat.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
Read the book River Horse by William Least Heat Moon. He went from the Atlantic off New York City to the mouth of the Columbia River in a 22 foot C-Dory with twin Honda outboards. Great writing and a fascinating perspective on the country as he observed and experienced it on his journey.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ben. I suspect River Horse took the most advantageous route to cross the county albeit with several portages over divides etc. The only other alternative is the Panama route on its own bottom or aboard a larger vessel.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Scraping Paint

RTF is correct. River Horse was trailered a few times to get around obstacles like dams and over the Continental Divide. While Moon's objective was to cross the nation by water, the purpose of the trip was more to observe and learn things about the nation as he went rather than travel every inch of the way on the boat's bottom.

In this respect it was very much in the style of his previous book, Blue Highway, in which he traveled the country by road.

And obviously a 22 foot C-Dory is a far cry from a 30,000 pound diesel cruiser. Getting one of them across the country will either involve a professional trucking company or the Panama Canal.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Guru

Interesting.I know a large enough boat with crazy long range could take the northern route but that's one heck of a long ride without civilization.The Panama route has been done by some fairly light boats,also takes a long time because of waiting out weather.Nothing I'm considering at this point.Just curious cat.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
The only other alternative is the Panama route on its own bottom or aboard a larger vessel.
... or on a train or trailer.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Hmmm....forgot about the northern route but unless your middle name is Amundsen you'll need some of these...

Old 06-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Don't need no pups ... just a comfortable vessel like Arcadia or Octopus.

Since the ice is going away, there are quite a few yachts making the transit these days and we will see a lot more in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ArcadiaBerg.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	11600  
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Since the ice is going away, there are quite a few yachts making the transit these days and we will see a lot more in the future.
The glaciers were disappearing in the 1930s, too, before a subsequent cooling period in which they grew until the 2000s.

Old photos provide Greenland glacier story - UPI.com

It's called changing weather and it's been with us since the beginning of time. But the new belief system called "Climate Change" has a growing gullible flock led by 'infallible scientists.'

Follow the money...
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #10
Master and Commander

too many (deluded) people think they can affect weather and climate!
Old 06-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #11
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Don't need no pups ... just a comfortable vessel like Arcadia or Octopus.

Perhaps soon we will have the climate the Vikings had in colonizing Greenland and foraying into North America. And perhaps not.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Jeez, can't you guys just accept the fact (and maybe even enjoy it) that a lot of yachts are now including the Northwest Passage in their cruising plans?

Why do you have to ancorize a travel opportunity into some kind of political tirade?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
The glaciers were disappearing in the 1930s, too, before a subsequent cooling period in which they grew until the 2000s.
The South Cascade glacier in Washington State, a glacier I am very familiar with due to my association with Kenmore Air Harbor, has been receding steadily from the late 1970s when Kenmore began supporting the research station on the glacier until today, and it continues to recede. Today it is but a fraction of the size it was in the late 70s. The scientist in charge of the South Cascade Glacier project gave me aerial photos of the glacier taken every year from 1975 through 2005. The glacier receded every one of those years.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
Guru

I could see me doing the southern route after my children are out of the house and own their own,only eight more years.Then it's the convincing of the girlfriend to go or leave.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #15

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
I have 2 friends that moved a boat from Cali, to Texas via the Panama route. Said the paperwork was a pain and they were boarded over and over during the trek through Panama. This was just after 9/11 So i am not sure if its slacked off now or what.
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
I have 2 friends that moved a boat from Cali, to Texas via the Panama route. Said the paperwork was a pain and they were boarded over and over during the trek through Panama. This was just after 9/11 So i am not sure if its slacked off now or what.

Oh there is a whole lot involved with getting through the canal.You're required to have at least one skipper and four line handlers.There's a whole lot more requirements than that.Through certain sections you get boarded by what we know as a pilot.I think they're called something different down there. PANAMA Cruising Guide | YachtPals.com
Old 06-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadger View Post
In 2004/2005 we went from Trinidad to North Carolina with all the stops. Puerto Rico was the only place that we had any contact with officials on the water. Everyone was polite and courteous.

We are now on our way back to Trinidad from Alaska. We have been bordered in Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia. Again everyone was polite and courteous.

And why all the boardings? Drugs. So no drugs, no problem!

There's paperwork along the way, sure, but a pain no. We figure a day to check into a country and a day to check out. It's all part of the adventure. Talk to a European cruising the United States. He'll tell what a pain it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cartagena 006.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	11638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1290.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	11639  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
...Through certain sections you get boarded by what we know as a pilot.I think they're called something different down there. PANAMA Cruising Guide | YachtPals.com
They are called Advisers. They also have Pilots. Each has a specific function. Here's a thread on the Panama Canal from last fall.

Panama Canal
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #19
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

There's paperwork along the way, sure, but a pain no. We figure a day to check into a country and a day to check out. It's all part of the adven tture. Talk to a European cruising the United States. He'll tell what a pain it is.
So true, Larry. We are signed up under the "trusted traveler" local boater option. I still expect a visit from about 3 customs agents when we return. Boy, you had better have your prescription meds in the original bottles. They check it all. There is still the option they have of making us go to a port of entry with a customs office. The last time we had to rent a car and drive to Riviera Beach. Shall we say that they were less than warm and friendly. Just 2 senior citizens trying to do the right thing.

A good friend of mine said that we should have stayed illegal. We missed all kinds of benefits.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
They are called Advisers. They also have Pilots. Each has a specific function. Here's a thread on the Panama Canal from last fall.

Panama Canal

Thanks for clearing that up.I am going to read that thread now.