Old 08-26-2014, 01:20 AM   #21
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Been through a handful of earthquakes while on a ship in port. Mainly in Japan. Fantastic rumblings. Up and down and side to side. Dancing is a good word.

Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #22
Guru

City: Georgia
Hey, I've seen a mosh pit once or twice in my life.

Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #23
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
So Ray, as a geologist would you describe it as shaken----not stirred.
This is stirred:

Old 08-26-2014, 10:02 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
This is shaken...
Old 08-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #25
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #26
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
I've lived in California all my life and experienced numerous earthquakes. However, this morning was the first while floating.

My SO and I were in our marina sleeping when the earthquake occured. We think it was about 03:20 hours and lasted about 15 to 20 seconds. The sound and feel in the boat was a loud shaking. Almost like a team of pranksters were shaking the boat. I jumped out of bed and looked out a window to see the water looking like a washing machine with ripples and wavelets all over.

We lost our ac power in the marina for about an hour or so.

I didn't imagine that we would feel the quake on the water like we did. I assumed the water would have cushioned the effects of the seismic activity. Assumed....
You couldn't pay me to live in California. Taxes, illegal aliens, libs, hollywood, government regs, wild fires, and earthquakes to name a few reasons.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #27

City: Benicia CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
You couldn't pay me to live in California. Taxes, illegal aliens, libs, hollywood, government regs, wild fires, and earthquakes to name a few reasons.
Don't forget the lack of bugs, lack of humidity, lack of tornadoes and lack of hurricanes!

And then top it off with the best climate, the most things to do, and also being one of the most spectacular and beautiful states in the country.

How could anyone in their right mind possibly want to live in a place like that?

Poor Californians, it must be horrible.
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #28

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
I know I suffer.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #29
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post

I wish at least 30 million out of the 37 million that call this state home thought the same way! Life would be back to the way I remember it a long time ago...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
CA used to have first-class highways and tuition-free colleges. But taxes have increased at least two-fold and much more than the increase now goes to unproductive, government-dependent citizens.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #31
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Forty percent of California's budget used to go for infrastructure. Now it's less than two percent.

I'm afraid the non-productive citizens, the ones that rely on government for their existence, out number the rest of us productive types. That's just the way one political party wants it! The folks aren't going to vote away their freebies. That's why we've seen such an alarming increase in corruption in government the last few years.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #32
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Rather than start a new thread I thought I would resuscitate this one. Prompted by an article in the LA Times yesterday.
Quake early warning system could save lives. But it's stalled over money dispute - LA Times
Add Canada to the list of places that are ahead of the USA with their WARN system
What is Emergency Early Warning? | Ocean Networks Canada

I then came across an article from last year in the New Yorker which is really very good at all aspects, from basic geology to the earthquake, tsunami and aftermath. Well written, very readable.
The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest - The New Yorker

Its pretty scary that even though the risks are becoming well understood, with knowledge spreading from the science community to the broader community, there is no urgency to do much in a substantive sense. Just leave schools where they are in the inundation zone? How on earth do the relevant public officials sleep at night?

I wonder what the impact would be on boats in Puget Sound or Strait of Georgia and up along the Inside Passage, particularly if you are not at the dock which means you are in deeper water where wave height of the tsunami should be moderated? Of course there will be some funneling effect where open to the ocean, and exaggerated tidal current flows so some places would be very dangerous for sure. But if you were at the dock and on board, and acted immediately on hearing the warning heading for deep water would you be able to ride it out?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #33
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. I. "How on earth do the relevant public officials sleep at night?" Calculated risk I suppose. You can't totally protect against the forces of nature. The Yellowstone super volcano is some 40,000 years overdue for an eruption. If and when Yellowstone decides to "go" it will be an extinction level event. A 9+ earthquake and resultant tsunami would be a nervous tic and a raindrop in comparison.

I would suggest laying in a good stock of...

Old 02-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #34
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Ah yes, Yellowstone will be very messy indeed although I don't think extinction level. But there will be enough warning to save a great many people in the immediate area of threat. Its very closely monitored with some stuff live online. And it might not pop its cork completely, there might easily be a series of smaller eruptions rather than one humongous one. The aftermath will be very long and global in scale no doubt.

But earthquakes, big earthquakes, give no forewarning at all. The first one is always the biggest. I have seen a bit of the OR-WA Pacific coast and would like to see more. But I will never spend a night on the coast at a place like Ocean Shores. I simply would not be able to get to sleep. Of course if you are there during the day when it happens you are toast as well. Even if you survive the 'quake you probably wont be able to get to high enough ground in the 15 minutes or so that you have. I don't run so well these days...

My boat stocks are always kept in good order. I'm prone to checking, even without imminent emergencies......
Old 02-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #35
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I felt one while standing on the floating dock at Seward last summer, not sure what magnitude. At first I was looking to see who had run into the dock, as I have never felt a quake on the water. Of course the people on dry land let us know in short order it was a quake, and we all tuned the VHF to 16 to see if a tsunami would be generated :-) We just had a 7.1 about a week ago, of course no one (relatively) is out on their boat this time of year. I always wondered if you could feel one one the water... The dock was connected to the shore, but I got the distinct impression the water was shaking too. I am sure I wouldn't have noticed it if underway.
AKDoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #36
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Wasn't there a video of a ship off the coast of Japan when the big one hit there? It shows the ship and the wave rolling under it. pretty high one too.

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote