Earthquake on the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forty percent of California's budget used to go for infrastructure. Now it's less than two percent.

I'm afraid the non-productive citizens, the ones that rely on government for their existence, out number the rest of us productive types. That's just the way one political party wants it! The folks aren't going to vote away their freebies. That's why we've seen such an alarming increase in corruption in government the last few years.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would resuscitate this one. Prompted by an article in the LA Times yesterday.
Quake early warning system could save lives. But it's stalled over money dispute - LA Times
Add Canada to the list of places that are ahead of the USA with their WARN system
What is Emergency Early Warning? | Ocean Networks Canada

I then came across an article from last year in the New Yorker which is really very good at all aspects, from basic geology to the earthquake, tsunami and aftermath. Well written, very readable.
The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest - The New Yorker

Its pretty scary that even though the risks are becoming well understood, with knowledge spreading from the science community to the broader community, there is no urgency to do much in a substantive sense. Just leave schools where they are in the inundation zone? How on earth do the relevant public officials sleep at night?

I wonder what the impact would be on boats in Puget Sound or Strait of Georgia and up along the Inside Passage, particularly if you are not at the dock which means you are in deeper water where wave height of the tsunami should be moderated? Of course there will be some funneling effect where open to the ocean, and exaggerated tidal current flows so some places would be very dangerous for sure. But if you were at the dock and on board, and acted immediately on hearing the warning heading for deep water would you be able to ride it out?

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. I. "How on earth do the relevant public officials sleep at night?" Calculated risk I suppose. You can't totally protect against the forces of nature. The Yellowstone super volcano is some 40,000 years overdue for an eruption. If and when Yellowstone decides to "go" it will be an extinction level event. A 9+ earthquake and resultant tsunami would be a nervous tic and a raindrop in comparison.

I would suggest laying in a good stock of...

Cooley_Collection400.jpg

Ah yes, Yellowstone will be very messy indeed although I don't think extinction level. But there will be enough warning to save a great many people in the immediate area of threat. Its very closely monitored with some stuff live online. And it might not pop its cork completely, there might easily be a series of smaller eruptions rather than one humongous one. The aftermath will be very long and global in scale no doubt.

But earthquakes, big earthquakes, give no forewarning at all. The first one is always the biggest. I have seen a bit of the OR-WA Pacific coast and would like to see more. But I will never spend a night on the coast at a place like Ocean Shores. I simply would not be able to get to sleep. Of course if you are there during the day when it happens you are toast as well. Even if you survive the 'quake you probably wont be able to get to high enough ground in the 15 minutes or so that you have. I don't run so well these days...

My boat stocks are always kept in good order. I'm prone to checking, even without imminent emergencies......

Last edited:
I felt one while standing on the floating dock at Seward last summer, not sure what magnitude. At first I was looking to see who had run into the dock, as I have never felt a quake on the water. Of course the people on dry land let us know in short order it was a quake, and we all tuned the VHF to 16 to see if a tsunami would be generated :) We just had a 7.1 about a week ago, of course no one (relatively) is out on their boat this time of year. I always wondered if you could feel one one the water... The dock was connected to the shore, but I got the distinct impression the water was shaking too. I am sure I wouldn't have noticed it if underway.

Wasn't there a video of a ship off the coast of Japan when the big one hit there? It shows the ship and the wave rolling under it. pretty high one too.

Back
Top Bottom