Old 08-24-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Guru

City: Tampa
Duke...rip

In honor of the legend....

Duke Kahanamoku: The heroic moment that became part of his legend - LA Times

and one more:
How the father of surfing became an idol -- first in Hawaii, then around the world - LA Times

Old 08-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
I knew Duke well when i was growing up in Hawaii.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I knew Duke well when i was growing up in Hawaii.
That must have been awesome.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

He was a wonderfully nice man. My mother worked for the mayor of Honolulu for many years which is how I came to know Duke. At one point he was given an "official" position in the city and county government or maybe it was for the whole state. I don't remember what it was--- it was mostly honorary like "official greeter" or the like-- but it was perfectliy suited to his personallty and classiness.

He once gave me a surfing lesson off Waikiki on a massive hollow board. I don't remember anything about the lesson--- I never got into surfing although most of my middle school friends were really into it--- but I've never fogotten that huge board of Duke's. The thing that was most intriguing was after he took it out of the water and set in one of the racks that used to line part of the beach at Waikiki he unscrewed the plug from the tail of the boat to let the water that had seeped in drain out.

I don't know if the term is still used today, but back then that size of board, hollow or solid, was referred to in Hawaii as a "gun." Smaller boards by the likes of Hobie and other makers were becoming popular and the guns were getting more and more scarce. I've always though they were really cool, though, probably due to that short experience on one with Duke.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:58 PM   #5
Guru

Very interesting story.
I read that he was Sheriff in Honolulu for something like 12 years (it's in one of those links).

I'm not a surfer. Never have, and at this age never will be, but I used to love watching the surfing competitions on TV. Quite the athletes.

Thanks for the but of historical trivia. Very much appreciated.

OD
Old 08-24-2015, 11:12 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

Yes, Sheriff, that was it. The state of Hawaii doesn't have sheriffs (or a state police, so no Hawaii Five-O, either ) so it was strictly an honorary title. But I remember he was often present at important state and city events in this capacity.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:46 AM   #7
Guru

He visited Australia, helped launch long-board surfing here. Beautiful polished timber boards, far longer than seen now.
Our board riders seem to be under attack from sharks on the NSW north coast, seems whale traffic up and down the coast is attracting them. Today I read of a recovering board rider complaining he`d lost half his butt in an attack. He was lucky not losing his life, several have, those attacked now fight back, punching, gouging at eyes, and it works.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote