Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,621
Drone registration

From the FAA website (https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/)

"If you own a drone, you must register it with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry. A federal law effective December 21, 2015 requires unmanned aircraft registration, and you are subject to civil and criminal penalties if you do not register."

Oh well.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
City: southern California
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
From the FAA website (https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/)

"If you own a drone, you must register it with the Federal Aviation Administration's Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) registry. A federal law effective December 21, 2015 requires unmanned aircraft registration, and you are subject to civil and criminal penalties if you do not register."

Oh well.
Only if it weighs more than 250 grams, roughly half a pound, and you fly outside.

The real interesting part is they don't need any information on the drones, only the operators. You don't have to even declare how many you have, nor register multiple drones. This is really more about registering operators than drones.
__________________

questionmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark View Post
Only if it weighs more than 250 grams, roughly half a pound, and you fly outside.

The real interesting part is they don't need any information on the drones, only the operators. You don't have to even declare how many you have, nor register multiple drones. This is really more about registering operators than drones.
Thanks for that clarification. Guess my DJI Phantom will have to be registered, though (or at least I will anyway).
__________________
John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
Wannabe
 
Britannia's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark View Post
Only if it weighs more than 250 grams, roughly half a pound, and you fly outside.

The real interesting part is they don't need any information on the drones, only the operators. You don't have to even declare how many you have, nor register multiple drones. This is really more about registering operators than drones.
If I read it correctly you will need to register each drone you own separately. Although they don't collect information on the drone, they will issue a unique registration number that you will have to attach to the drone so it can easily be identified if found.

I'll be registering my DJI Phantom 3 Pro.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,561
We just had one reported hovering over our state`s highest security prison. It moved away quickly when a guard went to investigate.
Registration could be useful to identify an owner after it is shot down. All operators would use a real name and address for registration, wouldn`t they.
Our police have set up a drone squadron, the Police operators have to be licensed by our aviation authority. Bring on the "drone wars".
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,995
Greetings,
Drone registration huh? How long before EVERY aircraft that is RC will have to be registered. Tax grab or security risk?
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
jwnall's Avatar
 
City: St. Marks, Florida
Country: US
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,621
Actually, although it is a nuisance to have to jump through the hoops, I do not have any problem with the registration. Being able to trace the registered owner of one which does something it should not be doing is a good thing, IMO. That said, though, it will probably be like the "no call telephone number registration." More bark than bite.
__________________
John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
Wannabe
 
Britannia's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
I've been thinking about this a bit. At first glance it seems to be one of those "only law abiding people will register" things. The bad guys won't register. But perhaps there's some logic in this. Since the laws pertaining to drone use itself are not in place yet and are going to be tough to define, this registration gives the government a way to go after nefarious drone users for not registering, even if their exact drone activity could be harder to prosecute. Just a thought.
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,170
You can bet that if I have nefarious intent with my drone, I won't be registering it. Better to take the hit for lack of registration from FAA than to be caught in the act by law enforcement due to my registration. It's not that much different than gun registration, IMO. Buy a throw away illegal gun for your crimes. No worries with gun registration...that's for the legit operators only.

Now if the drones arrive with serial numbers engraved throughout and an electronic signature handshake requirement between drone and remote so it wouldn't work until registered, then you've got a system that prevents unregistered use. Then the operator will be tied to the drone and the electronic handshake which identifies the operator will be visible to others in the area. This assures operator accountability.
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #10
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
That's the dream Al. These things have DHS, FBI, Scotland Yard and several other agencies worldwide scared $hitle$$ right now. I spent a few hours in annual crisis training and the "hot topics" all revolved around possible nefarious drone use.

One of the current really common problems with drones locally is the interruption of air support for fire fighting. Drone owners want fire pictures and the Cal Fire has a zero tolerance rule for the pilots, no sharing airspace with drones period. Several California fires where impacted by having airdrops called off. The next generation payloads are what causes the security concerns, more can be fitted to those things than cameras.
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:08 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
City: southern California
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
If I read it correctly you will need to register each drone you own separately. Although they don't collect information on the drone, they will issue a unique registration number that you will have to attach to the drone so it can easily be identified if found.

I'll be registering my DJI Phantom 3 Pro.

Richard
There's a question & answer page at the faa.gov site. It addresses this question specifically.

"Q. If I own multiple drones, do I have to register them all?
A. No. You may register once and apply the same registration number to all your UAS."
questionmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:59 AM   #12
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,121
Well, with the number of drone issues with planes, they're going to have to do something and this is just the first and easiest step. Drones long ago ceased being a benign toy and their use for nefarious purposes has rapidly increased from invasion of privacy and photographing to interfering with planes to being used by civilians to try to catch prostitutes in the act with customers, so basically neighborhood watch taken to the air.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #13
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, with the number of drone issues with planes, they're going to have to do something and this is just the first and easiest step. Drones long ago ceased being a benign toy and their use for nefarious purposes has rapidly increased from invasion of privacy and photographing to interfering with planes to being used by civilians to try to catch prostitutes in the act with customers, so basically neighborhood watch taken to the air.
Oh for goodness sakes. Please fact check yourself before posting such twaddle.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #14
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Oh for goodness sakes. Please fact check yourself before posting such twaddle.
What parts do you know are untrue?
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #15
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
What parts do you know are untrue?
Well first off, are you really asking me to prove that drones spying on neighbors use of prostitutes is untrue? Why don't we ask the poster to prove that it is true?
For example if I posted that a bald eagle has been seen doing Sudoku, instead of my having to prove it is true you would challenge others to prove it was untrue?

On to the more rational conversation about near misses.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/gov/doc...ata_091415.pdf

Note: I fly a Phantom 3 Advanced and follow the AMA rules.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #16
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Well first off, are you really asking me to prove that drones spying on neighbors use of prostitutes is untrue? Why don't we ask the poster to prove that it is true?
For example if I posted that a bald eagle has been seen doing Sudoku, instead of my having to prove it is true you would challenge others to prove it was untrue?

On to the more rational conversation about near misses.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/gov/doc...ata_091415.pdf

Note: I fly a Phantom 3 Advanced and follow the AMA rules.
Now as to your stupid accusation and requirement of proof.

Drone Catches Man in the Act With Prostitute, Leads to Arrest | Digital Trends

http://www.koco.com/news/vigilante-u...itute/36514754

Anti-Prostitution Activist Uses Drone To Catch People In The Act - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

I can post as many other sources as you require. So please check yourself before posting such twaddle.

Any other part of my post you require proof of? Are you now prepared to prove everything you post?

The fact is that some users of drones have gotten out of hand and if some control isn't added then there will be a serious air accident. Drones aren't alone in this regard. There are certain areas of the country where laser pointers are repeatedly creating problems for pilots.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #17
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Now as to your stupid accusation and requirement of proof.

Drone Catches Man in the Act With Prostitute, Leads to Arrest | Digital Trends

Vigilante uses drone to catch man's meetup with accused prostitute | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

Anti-Prostitution Activist Uses Drone To Catch People In The Act - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

I can post as many other sources as you require. So please check yourself before posting such twaddle.

Any other part of my post you require proof of? Are you now prepared to prove everything you post?

The fact is that some users of drones have gotten out of hand and if some control isn't added then there will be a serious air accident. Drones aren't alone in this regard. There are certain areas of the country where laser pointers are repeatedly creating problems for pilots.
Man, you just posted three different links to the same story?

Come on, neighborhood watch or PI?
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #18
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Man, you just posted three different links to the same story?

Come on, neighborhood watch or PI?
I didn't figure you'd accept just one as proof. I could post more links to the story if required.

I would call neighborhood watch taken to the air as it's a civilian deciding to get involved watching activity in the neighborhood in an effort to protect the neighborhood.

The point was that drones are being used in ways to create risk to planes and drones are being used in such ways as to invade privacy. They're also being used by PI's. It's giving them access to property they otherwise could not have had. Whether it's Mystery Diners following people into a private party or whether it's paparazzi getting a photo or whether it's a pervert taking photos in a private yard. Then sometimes it's just kids being kids.

While there are far more drone operators following not only the laws and regulations and following basic rules of decency and respect for others, without more control, it will continue to get out of hand and lead to abuses. We have had a drone hover over our boat and we have had one hover over our backyard and pool area. More importantly, they have interfered with aircraft at an increasing pace and they have interfered with fire fighting.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #19
Wannabe
 
Britannia's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark View Post
There's a question & answer page at the faa.gov site. It addresses this question specifically.

"Q. If I own multiple drones, do I have to register them all?
A. No. You may register once and apply the same registration number to all your UAS."
I missed this - I stand corrected!

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #20
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Gloucester, MA
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Well first off, are you really asking me to prove that drones spying on neighbors use of prostitutes is untrue? Why don't we ask the poster to prove that it is true?

For example if I posted that a bald eagle has been seen doing Sudoku, instead of my having to prove it is true you would challenge others to prove it was untrue?



On to the more rational conversation about near misses.



http://www.modelaircraft.org/gov/doc...ata_091415.pdf



Note: I fly a Phantom 3 Advanced and follow the AMA rules.

You said he should fact-check. Clearly you haven't.
__________________

__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012