Old 12-15-2015, 11:53 AM   #21

City: Vancouver BC
I hope we get this registration law up here as well, I assume it's just a matter of time.

There has been lots of close calls at the airport over the last several years. Hope they aren't waiting for a disaster prior to acting.

West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Although I don't have a problem requiring registration, in many of the reported incidents, the operator is already breaking existing laws. I was thinking of getting a drone, so spent some time looking at the FAA regs. You can't operate them in any controlled airspace. Around an airport the controlled airspace is shaped like a funnel with increasingly large radius at higher altitudes. But the bottom line it that you can't operate at all around an airport, though I don't recall the exact keep-out distance at the altitude a drone would operate.

Away from airports there is an altitude below which air space is uncontrolled, so anyone can fly there. 2000' sticks in my head, but I'm not certain. Perhaps one of the pilots among us knows?There are also specific provisions that allow hobby aircraft, and a drone qualifies as such.

Another interesting element is that the airspace up to 400' is considered part of the property below it. So you own the airspace up to 400' over your property. This will surely come into play as questions of trespass hit he courts. But then again, I think trespass can only be committed by a person, not a thing? Or is it the same when the thing is operated by a person?

Its a very interesting new frontier.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Although I don't have a problem requiring registration, in many of the reported incidents, the operator is already breaking existing laws. I was thinking of getting a drone, so spent some time looking at the FAA regs. You can't operate them in any controlled airspace. Around an airport the controlled airspace is shaped like a funnel with increasingly large radius at higher altitudes. But the bottom line it that you can't operate at all around an airport, though I don't recall the exact keep-out distance at the altitude a drone would operate.

Away from airports there is an altitude below which air space is uncontrolled, so anyone can fly there. 2000' sticks in my head, but I'm not certain. Perhaps one of the pilots among us knows?There are also specific provisions that allow hobby aircraft, and a drone qualifies as such.

Another interesting element is that the airspace up to 400' is considered part of the property below it. So you own the airspace up to 400' over your property. This will surely come into play as questions of trespass hit he courts. But then again, I think trespass can only be committed by a person, not a thing? Or is it the same when the thing is operated by a person?

Its a very interesting new frontier.
The biggest problem in enforcement appears to be identifying and I don't see that they've come up with a solution there yet.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
But the bottom line it that you can't operate at all around an airport, though I don't recall the exact keep-out distance at the altitude a drone would operate.
We use a drone for some of our work here at Boeing. The last time I heard the no-fly distance from an airport is five miles. We have done some drone work at our plants which are located next to active airports. We had to get special permission from the FAA and the specific airport tower to use the drone even though we were flying over our own property and not shooting anything directly connected with the airport's operations. If we fly the drone inside our plants we do not need this permission.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #25
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
But the bottom line it that you can't operate at all around an airport, though I don't recall the exact keep-out distance at the altitude a drone would operate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
We use a drone for some of our work here at Boeing. The last time I heard the no-fly distance from an airport is five miles. We have done some drone work at our plants which are located next to active airports. We had to get special permission from the FAA and the specific airport tower to use the drone even though we were flying over our own property and not shooting anything directly connected with the airport's operations. If we fly the drone inside our plants we do not need this permission.
You are permitted to fly a drone within 5 miles of an airport if you contact the tower (or equivalent) to give advanced notice of your flight. The full list of requirements is given here

https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

I've done this on a number of occasions - flying my drone just over a mile away from an airport. They had no concerns when I indicated that I would be flying below 400'. Note that this is not asking permission, simply informing the airport. That having been said, if they raised an objection for a specific reason at a specific time then I'd willingly delay my flight.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #26
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
You are permitted to fly a drone within 5 miles of an airport if you contact the tower (or equivalent) to give advanced notice of your flight. The full list of requirements is given here

https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/

I've done this on a number of occasions - flying my drone just over a mile away from an airport. They had no concerns when I indicated that I would be flying below 400'. Note that this is not asking permission, simply informing the airport. That having been said, if they raised an objection for a specific reason at a specific time then I'd willingly delay my flight.

Richard
The new DJI Phantom 3 software which is installed on the smart battery has no fly zones, including airports and stadia, coded into it. It will land the drone if you enter the zone. They have the details on their website.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Michigan City, Ind
C'mon peeps. Can't we all just get along?
Wanderin Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:04 AM   #28
FF
Guru

Privacy will be the concern when the drones are the size of a house fly ,and can transmit video a couple of miles.

Lots of Savoir Fare on your local face book site!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:26 PM   #29
Guru

I have nothing to hide, I will proudly stand out back and wave me willy at it!
Old 12-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I have nothing to hide, I will proudly stand out back and wave me willy at it!
Wifey B: How will you feel when that drone overhead fires some bullets or drops some explosives and wipes out your willy?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: How will you feel when that drone overhead fires some bullets or drops some explosives and wipes out your willy?
Hmmm, somehow I have a lady discussing my willy, how did we get here?
Old 12-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #32
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. M. "...how did we get here?" Well, YOU'RE the one who started the waving. Just be thankful that Ms. WB didn't mention a macro lens.