Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #1

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan
Does Yahoo mail suck?

In my opinion Yahoo mail sucks, I have great difficulty logging on and using yahoo mail. Extremely slow or mostly non-responsive. Yet during these (dailey) issues I can log onto any other site with no problems then go back to Yahoo and still have the problem. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?

awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Caretta
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Sedan
I've used yahoo mail for years, never had any problems at all. In fact it's about the only computer thing that hasn't been a problem...

MYMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Same here as MYMT
Old 08-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
My only issue is that it kept wanting me to switch from Yahoo Classic Mail to the new format. The old format is much easier to see a larger quantity of information, especially on an I-Pad. Eventually, they didn't give me any choice. So far, it seems OK, but as one would expect, more ads. I suppose I shouldn't complain. It's been a reliable service.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
I have used Yahoo for years and it has its good and bad points. Especially for those who are mobile and need to check email from anywhere in the world. I have tried a number of different e-mail providers, but haven't found anything that works for me any better yet.

Lately I have noticed that it is taking longer and longer to open files and emails on Yahoo. But the other e-mail providers are equally bad and some are worse. The adage, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!"
applies to e-mail and search engines too. That's how you pay for the use of their service.

Much of the delay is caused by the advertising that the provider downloads to you with the page or document you open. Its not just a popup with a couple thousand KB picture anymore. Now they are streaming ads to you using software like "Flash Player", and many sites are downloading advertising malware software, like "Double Click", to your PC.

If you get too much of this junk-ware running in the background, it can really impact the speed of your PC. Download a good Anti-Malware program that will scan and remove it. I use and have good success with Spybot search and destroy and run it at least weekly or anytime I think I may have visited a questionable site.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
While my IT trained and employed son thinks I'm crazy...as he and all of his friends use Google...all my friends that have G-mail are the complainers and I have not one problem with Yahoo mail...so my advice is a toss-up. You'll get 2 solid camps of satisfied and there's better out there.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
ljk

City: Cape Coral and Marathon FL
Vessel Name: Chardonnay
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot
I had so many problems with Yahoo (for email) and bellsouth (for DSL) that I switched to gmail and comcast 3 months ago. Not 1 problem so far, I am very happy I made the switch.
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
My first and only personal email is Yahoo. It's been flawless since 1984 or so.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #9

City: Salt Lake City
Can't speak on yahoo, but hotmail certainly took a dive into the macerator!! I now use Gmail and not a complaint yet.
trawlerartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
The latest Yahoo hack a couple months ago left me essentially locked out of my 10 year old account. Customer support was no help so I started a Gmail account and now wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Long time account owner of a yahoo account, the classic mail was fine, no real issues. Then I got hacked and went back in and cleaned out account, finding the new version is SLOW. I think it's trying to do too much at once, thus really slowing the load speed down.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Wow. Yahoo still exists. This is the kind of valuable info I get from TF.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
+1 on GMail. I have Yahoo accounts too. I find them both equally reliable. As mentioned above, the "improved" versions Yahoo is always pushing devote more screen real estate to advertising and are slower to download because they're bloated with javascript and flash. Google does it too, but at least they seem to care about performance.

I think I still have my original AOL account, too. Don't use that one much any more.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

City: 3rd world
Vessel Model: still looking but in UK.
Yahoo lost an email I spent ages typing last night the screen faded on 'send' and the email vanished, no copy left anywhere I can find and nothing saved in drafts. That and it requiring me to re-sign in daily when I tick the 'keep me signed in box, means I use my gmail account much more often.
Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
+1 on GMail. I have Yahoo accounts too. I find them both equally reliable. As mentioned above, the "improved" versions Yahoo is always pushing devote more screen real estate to advertising and are slower to download because they're bloated with javascript and flash. Google does it too, but at least they seem to care about performance.
Izozi6nqgxioyycoicioyc
I think I still have my origkmkqzzinal AOL account, too. Don't use that one much any more.
Zzza
Xfoc

Ricky B is offline   Reply With Quote