Old 03-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Does this make me cheap?

So current diesel price at my marina is $3.95 plus tax. Off road diesel at the station on the way to the marina, tax included, is $3.39. I have a pick up and enough jugs to haul 40 gallons a load so I've been stopping on the way to the boat and hauling 40 gallons down at a time.

So far I've put in 320 gallons at a savings of about $265. I have a 15 year old son and I make him haul the full jugs. Still a bit of a pita to pour it in though.

Worth it? Is it just me?

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Yes, you're cheap. I'm as cheap as anybody and I resent the marine markups where we pay a million bucks for a stainless screw that rusts in a year, but for that price differential - no, definitely not worth the hassle. I just spent more than that differential over 100 gallons on a stainless piano hinge for the salon hatch.

kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #3
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
So current diesel price at my marina is $3.95 plus tax. Off road diesel at the station on the way to the marina, tax included, is $3.39. I have a pick up and enough jugs to haul 40 gallons a load so I've been stopping on the way to the boat and hauling 40 gallons down at a time.

So far I've put in 320 gallons at a savings of about $265. I have a 15 year old son and I make him haul the full jugs. Still a bit of a pita to pour it in though.

Worth it? Is it just me?
Probably fresher with less entrained water too.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #4

City: Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
We used to do that when we had a 24 ft bayliner with a 55 gal tank. No way would I schlep fuel for our Mainship. Too much hassle to save a few $$.
ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Still a bit of a pita to pour it in though.

Save your back! Try a Safety Siphon, or Super Siphon.
You can find them at almost any auto parts store for about $10.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I wouldn't worry too much about what other people think, especially people you don't know.

Figure in the cost of the jugs, the cost to run the truck and the cost of your and your son's time. If it makes sense to you, do it.

Provided of course, that it's not against the marina rules.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
We used to use a heating oil distributor who filled up all the commercial boats and supplied the Port as well. He would meet us at the commercial pier and fill us up, 200 gallon minimum for quite a savings. We would get three or four boats together and take on 1000 gal. total and he'd give us a pretty good discount.

But the Port finally wised up and lowered their prices, so now it's not much savings and not worth the time.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Our area Marina diesel is $3.80. The off road fuel at gas stations is $3.85. The thing that frost my butt is I just paid $4.03 for home heating oil. Go fugure
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I often top up my fuel with a jerry can as well. Not due to cost savings, but for convenience.
The main reason is there is no fuel sales at our marina. The closest marine fuel outlet is a 2 hour cruise north, or a 6 hour cruise south.

With my low fuel usage, usually about 2-3 litres (1/2 gallon) per hour, its not really much of a problem.
AusCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Our area Marina diesel is $3.80. The off road fuel at gas stations is $3.85. The thing that frost my butt is I just paid $4.03 for home heating oil. Go fugure
Depends on the states taxing scheme. Road fuel here adds another 37 1/2 cents per gallon to the price of gas or diesel at the pump. Off road fuel you don't pay the road tax, but you have to pay a sales tax on the total sale which is around 8% depending on the county you buy the fuel in. So at $4 per gallon you're still going to pay 32 cents more per gallon. They get their money one way or the other.

ps. Now they don't think that is enough so the Governor wants to add another 11 cents per gallon. If they could just figure out how to tax the air we breath, then all would be right with the world !!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Portland Oregon
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Depends on the states taxing scheme. Road fuel here adds another 37 1/2 cents per gallon to the price of gas or diesel at the pump. Off road fuel you don't pay the road tax, but you have to pay a sales tax on the total sale which is around 8% depending on the county you buy the fuel in. So at $4 per gallon you're still going to pay 32 cents more per gallon. They get their money one way or the other. ps. Now they don't think that is enough so the Governor wants to add another 11 cents per gallon. If they could just figure out how to tax the air we breath, then all would be right with the world !!
Texas must have a good setup. Visiting universities Texas A&M and UT this week. Highway diesel is 1.99....3.30 or so at Oregon marinas or worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Sapphire
denloe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #12
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
You are lucky that you can do it...

A lot of marinas prohibit it and some would terminate your lease over it.

I have known marinas to make life miserable for boaters that fuel down the waterway to save some money or flat out were asked to leave because they routinely filled elsewhere.

Cheap...well if it's no big deal to your marina then no...frugal may be the better word.

Lot's of people on here have the money not to worry about all kinds of things and they remind us every chance they get...but saving hundreds of dollars to some of us means we can do other things we like without scrimping elsewhere.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You are lucky that you can do it...
A lot of marinas prohibit it and some would terminate your lease over it.
I have known marinas to make life miserable for boaters that fuel down the waterway to save some money or flat out were asked to leave because they routinely filled elsewhere.
You have to go over to the commercial docks where the fishing boats fuel. They can't refuel you in your slip. Many of the Marina on the west coast are publicly owned "Port Districts" and lots of the private marinas don't sell fuel. So no pressure here!!
Old 03-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #14
Guru

For the last boat with a single T6354 we used take 2 10L containers full each time we went onboard, kept it nicely topped up. And if you are a fuel additive/snake oil user, dose each 10L as you go, and as NS said, every chance it`s fresher, with less water. It`s just not practical with twin Lehmans. $4 a gallon, try around $6.60 best price at Baileys Sydney, per 4L.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #15
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
You have to go over to the commercial docks where the fishing boats fuel. They can't refuel you in your slip. Many of the Marina on the west coast are publicly owned "Port Districts" and lots of the private marinas don't sell fuel. So no pressure here!!
I was talking jugs down the dock...

But you are right about delivery...I used to refuel behind my rental to my sportfish...was definitely worth it just in time saved.

The truck pumped about 10X faster and the fuel was definitely fresher.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #16
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Yeah, it is not a big deal to my marina, heck they have probably 75% of their slips empty (as does every other marina in this area pretty much). They won't send away somebody who pays their slip fee every month on time.

It's laid back up here in the redneck part of the state. That is one of the nice things about it.

Oh and I already owned the jugs. It sort of reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Newman take the bottles across state lines in the mail truck. You've got to control your costs to get ahead! :-)

Oh, and I already knew I was a little cheap. I got it from my mom.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:39 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
You are lucky you are allowed to do it though. As Psneeld mentioned, in many marinas it is not allowed. A sign stating this is the first thing to greet you as you approach the arm gate at our marina, that's for sure. And if you think you are paying a lot - you are not. You US folks have always had much cheaper fuel than anywhere else in the world, other than maybe the UAE. So enjoy while it lasts. Here we pay $1.60/litre for our boat diesel.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:59 PM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
You US folks have always had much cheaper fuel than anywhere else in the world, other than maybe the UAE. So enjoy while it lasts. Here we pay $1.60/litre for our boat diesel.
Countries other than UAE have inexpensive fuel prices compared to the U.S, like Venezuela and Mexico. Higher-than-U.S. fuel prices are largely self-inflicted. You have higher taxes on them. (Governments in the U.S. -- federal, state, and local --- make more money off of fuel than the domestic producers.)
Old 03-30-2014, 12:46 AM   #19
Guru

Mexico used to be a fraction of the cost of the US. I had friends in San Diego who would cross the border once a week to fill up. Not so much anymore, they've stopped subsidizing their fuel and added taxes. So they're a lot closer to our prices now . . . Pemex shows average cost is $3.76 USD for diesel now.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:15 AM   #20
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Fuel is expensive but I still maintain it is the cheapest part of boating. For all the hassle of dragging jugs around and dripping diesel and and and it's just not worth it. Haulouts, insurance, parts, moorage etc etc.

A friend of mine says boating is the best time you can buy.