Old 03-30-2014, 05:57 AM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
If fuel is cheap or expensive, whether you like doing it or not....

If most of us could make $265 for less than an hours involvement and someone else doing the grunt work....AND it was illegal or not allowed...

I really wonder who would and wouldn't....

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #22
FF
Guru

MONEY is a tool , using it wisely is usually the best idea.

>Still a bit of a pita to pour it in though.

Pour it thru a Baja filter , just to be sure its really clean and water free..

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:54 AM   #23
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
I "get" the concept. The problem I have is Murphys law. Any "incident" will quickly wipe away the $265 savings.....and much more.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If fuel is cheap or expensive, whether you like doing it or not....

If most of us could make $265 for less than an hours involvement and someone else doing the grunt work....AND it was illegal or not allowed...

I really wonder who would and wouldn't....
Illegal or not allowed.....Then it should be a simple answer. No. We would not. Really, break the law for $265? That's like robbing vending machines. First, we're by nature, law abiding. Second, to be tempting would require much more than $265. Third, no we really don't have any price on our integrity.

I can tell you someone else who wouldn't be pleased with the small cans and filling from them if they knew. The marina's insurance company. More for environmental purposes than fire. Spill some one time and all those savings will be long ago out the window.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
I often top up my fuel with a jerry can as well. Not due to cost savings, but for convenience. .
This is what I do. My marina does not sell diesel and although I pass by marinas that do sell diesel on the way to or from my marina, I don't want to pull into one to buy ten gallons or so. It's also easier to "top off" my tanks with jugs.

My marina has a rule against fuelling except at the fuel dock but they are pretty lax on rule enforcement. Also, handling diesel fuel is a lot safer than handling gasoline. The manager has talked to me while I was hauling jugs down the dock but did not mention rules. Also, handling diesel fuel is a lot safer than handling gasoline.

At 90 gallons capacity, it's not worth going out of my way, calling in a truck, or buying a 28 gallon rolling cart. I just want to keep the tanks topped off.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I guess I'm of a different sort...

When I take on fuel its always something over 200 gallons.

If I could save say a dollar a gallon, and haul forty, five gallon jugs to the boat, or eight trips with five jugs per trip, its just not worth the time. Actually it sounds like about half a days work for me to get that 200 gallons in the tanks.

I dont have kids at home to do the labor.
I am not retired yet, so my boating time is more valuable than money savings.

Its also just not worth the trouble. Not at this stage in life.

At some point, perhaps when I retire, and the money has more meaning than the free time my prospective will change.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #27
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You are lucky that you can do it...

Lot's of people on here have the money not to worry about all kinds of things and they remind us every chance they get...but saving hundreds of dollars to some of us means we can do other things we like without scrimping elsewhere.
I'd certainly do the same. As Scott said, it's nice to save so you have the money for other things.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #28
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Yes - You are cheap, cheap, cheap! Obviously a beggar in disguise!

Imagine, a guy owning a "Pleasure Boat" and trying to save money! Well, I've never heard of such a thing! And, of course, I would never try to save any expenses in boating!

Good On Ya!!

We all do what we want or have to do to keep our plates spinning and boats cruising!

Happy Boat Fueling Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #29
Guru

I'm not clear why road tax is applied to boat fuel. It's not that way in every state. I typically buy fuel at less than auto pump prices. The marina deducts the road tax and then adds a marina "premium", but it's still a saving for the boater.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #30

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Name: Brass Ring
Vessel Model: 38 bayliner
I do not use jerry cans for diesel but I do have a small one for gas (extra portable gen and outboard) My marina does not permit this but frankly they also do not care as they do not sell fuel and many fellow boaters do use this fill up method. I do not blame them as it is almost an hour run for me to get to fuel. I have enough capacity and the fuel was only $3.99 all last summer so I can plan for it. Besides I have to have a pump out occasionally so I live with it.

The problem is all about risk management. Rising insurance is part of the reason why marina fuel is expensive. The insurance companies are concerned about fire but with the changes in the environmental regulations it may be a smaller loss to burn a few boats than to spill any of that fuel in the water.

BTW for the same reasons my marina also bans BBQs. Now that is a real sacrilege. But again nobody pays any attention and in fact the marina manager has one on his own boat.
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #31
Art
Guru

There was a guy on our gated, roofed, floating dock that has 18 slips and and an end tie who constantly filled his diesel powered Trawler with fuel out of Jerry cans. It's not supposed to be done as per marina rules, but he never got sighted or questioned.

I don't think anything of bringing three new condition, non leak 5 gal gas cans (safely filled to only 4.5 gal each) to our boat for replnishment fuel on our 50 hp runabout during long weekends out and about. If there's gasoline remaining after filling runabout's two 6 gal tanks it goes into our Tolly's tanks... of course, that all is accomplished while on the hook, not at the dock.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I don't think anything of bringing three new condition, non leak 5 gal gas cans (safely filled to only 4.5 gal each) to our boat for replnishment fuel on our 50 hp runabout
Given all the marina, boat and dock fires I have seen or read about, I'd raise a red flag with someone who is carting many containers of fuel and especially gasoline and then fueling tanks on a boat next to me.

Saving a small amount of money is one thing, saving a boat or 20 is something else again. Not all boaters are fire conscious and giving them a pop quiz is not my privy - in fact some will read this and think gasoline is the same as diesel fuel, fuel is fuel right? These marina rules are there for more than show, sometimes they are there to protect the ignorant.

Back to the PO's question, all too many boaters see threads like this and get the idea that improper fueling is condoned by those who frequent TF. Just say NO!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #33
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
[QUOTE=sunchaser;223596]
Quote:
I don't think anything of bringing three new condition, non leak 5 gal gas cans (safely filled to only 4.5 gal each) to our boat for replnishment fuel on our 50 hp runabout QUOTE]

Given all the marina, boat and dock fires I have seen or read about, I'd raise a red flag with someone who is carting many containers of fuel and especially gasoline and then fueling tanks on a boat next to me.

Saving a small amount of money is one thing, saving a boat or 20 is something else again. Not all boaters are fire conscious and giving them a pop quiz is not my privy - in fact some will read this and think gasoline is the same as diesel fuel, fuel is fuel right? These marina rules are there for more than show, sometimes they are there to protect the ignorant.

Back to the PO's question, all too many boaters see threads like this and get the idea that improper fueling is condoned by those who frequent TF. Just say NO!
I agree with you on marina rules except I'd say to protect the innocent. Too many marina fires. Too much oil and gas pollution in marinas. The good marinas spend more than you would imagine just cleaning up the little leaks of oil and gas they find here and there on the water surface. I don't think one has the right to decide which marina rules to follow and which to ignore. When you chose to dock there you agreed to certain rules.

One thing those rules do too is shift a tremendous burden of liability to you if anything does go wrong.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #34
Art
Guru

Marina rule is not against transporting any type fuel to and aboard a boat; so long as that fuel is transported in a safely sealed container. The rule is against "pouring" (or otherwise transfering said fuel) at dock from one container to another... due to chance of spills during said pour.

Please note the following quote from very end of my post # 31...

"... of course, that all is accomplished while on the hook, not at the dock."

Any boater has the right to do as they see fit regarding fuel or other items on board their boat when away from dock.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Any boater has the right to do as they see fit regarding fuel or other items on board their boat when away from dock.
Not really, CFRs and USCG regs still apply when away from the dock in all sorts of areas to protect the ignorant and others while promoting good safety practices and avoiding pollution. Power Squadron courses are a good place to begin for those who believe the seven seas, inland lakes and rivers are fair game for those who elect to do "as they see fit."
Old 03-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #36
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Not really, CFRs and USCG regs still apply when away from the dock in all sorts of areas to protect the ignorant and others while promoting good safety practices and avoiding pollution. Power Squadron courses are a good place to begin for those who believe the seven seas, inland lakes and rivers are fair game for those who elect to do "as they see fit."
sun -

To keep you happy, I might add “in a professionally safe manner" to my quote above.

Having been decades in, on, and around boats... I'd venture to say that my transfer of (or in any other way or actions working with) any type of fuel while aboard my boat away from dock is more safe than many of the standard fuel exchanges that occur at fuel docks. Wherein... I spill nothing and utilize all correct mannerisms as well as legally correct fuel container tanks and transfer equipment. To say that I (or any boat Captain) cannot do as I/we see fit with fuel aboard our boats while anchored away from docks (short of spilling any type fuel into water – which is a BIG no, no) is not written in any code I’ve ever read or previously heard mention of – that is before you mentioned as such!

If you have items saying such credos/laws are available from CFR or USCG that states a boat’s Captain is not to work with his boat’s fuels and/or any of their systems while aboard and away from docks, and, at anchor – please post it – I WANT to read it!

If that were true, then the often relatively precarious circumstance (depending on position in ER as well as depending on filter type) of changing fuel filters and other gasoline associated equipment would be illegal too.

Please advise of applicable statements from CRF and/or USCG, and where to obtain them.

Thank you,

Art
Old 03-30-2014, 02:44 PM   #37

All I have to say is if you find yourself hauling jugs in the other direction to save on pumpout costs - you are too cheap.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:47 PM   #38
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
All I have to say is if you find yourself hauling jugs in the other direction to save on pumpout costs - you are too cheap.
Golfclap.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #39
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
YUK
Old 03-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #40
Guru

[QUOTE=Art;223628]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art

If you have items saying such credos/laws are available from CFR or USCG that states a boat’s Captain is not to work with his boat’s fuels and/or any of their systems while aboard and away from docks, and, at anchor – please post it – I WANT to read it!

Thank you,

Art
Come on Art, I never said that.

All sorts of Newbies are on this site and are looking for some guidance. It is simply incorrect to make a blanket statement saying that a Captain is free to do as he sees fit - agreed many do so and at their own and crew's peril..

Your original statement placed no boundaries leaving open simple things such as requirements for life vests, flares, rules of the road, judgement, experience, illegal discharges, drugs, alcohol, firearms etc. Thank you for the amendments.