Old 05-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Do you run?

I'm a hack when it comes to running, but enjoy it. Fell out of it for a while, but now slowly working back into it. Would love one day to run a mountain race. Got up to 5K barefoot a few years ago, but my feet are pretty soft these days. Enjoying it again for the paybacks other than the physical.

Do you run?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barefoot.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	65037  

Old 05-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
I was running 5k 3x per week before I broke my ankle in December. I'm hoping to get back into it but it's taking forever to heal. I tried to run last week but all my tendons around that ankle still hurt and it was a disaster.

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
I ran XC and track in high school and loved it. My genetics don't allow it today. My ortho would put a contract out if I did. With a new hip and knee in the last three years plus some other knife work, he says boat yoga plus walking 2-6 miles a day is enough. Glad you can do stil do it.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Yes and no. We play basketball and tennis, we walk miles and miles, and when other exercise isn't available we use the treadmill. However, we don't jog on streets or do mountain races. Two reasons. One is cars win over runners like rocks do over scissors. The other is knees and ankles. Pavement and hard surface is just too rough on them for me to do that much running.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I used to run. I can't now. I might be able to run again if I had a meniscus tear repaired on my left knee. I already did it on my right knee but it still is far from 100%.

Not being able to run is one of the very few regrets of my life. I started running again in my 30's and ran a lot into my 40's. I really enjoyed racing.

I was pretty much a mid-pack runner. I could place in my age group if the fast folks didn't show up. The times I recall were best 10k of about 39:00, Half Marathon around 1:30:00 and my best Marathon was 3:14:10. I was training to break 3 hours in the marathon when a hamstring injury sidelined me. In my mid 40s, I never recovered fully and never regained that level fitness again.

I did run on 50k trail race. I enjoyed it. It is much different than road racing.

Take it easy as you start to run again. Patience in training is super important and not something I was terribly good at.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #6
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
If I am late for the apero and know my rose wine will warm, I think I would run. Except for this dramatic situation no way I would run. I am in favor of a slow life

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I'm genetically not built to run. Have chicken legs and the accompanying smaller joints. Was an avid soccer player in my teens on softer turf. So I walk and ride a bike usually an hour a day, unless boating. Also do a fair amount of swimming with fins (scuba diving). No joint problems so far, like to keep it that way.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Used to be lightweight jogger. Now I'm a hardass walker when we aren't up north in the boat. My back and joints thank me in my advanced years. I do remember the endorfins, though.
Ken E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Ran almost every day for 35+ years. One knee replaced the other operated on. Not recommended I run now. When I commented to my orthopedic surgeon that running had ruined my knees his response was that I should walk through the cemetery and complain about my knees to my friends who hadn't make it to 70 years of age.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #10
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Only when I eat at Taco Bell...

Old 05-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I ran at least 5miles 3x a week but that was many years ago. Too many years of softball wreaked havoc on my feet, ankles, knees, etc.

Now I run from running.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:48 PM   #12
Guru

Sounds like we should get together on the Cajun Rose to convalesce and do rehab laps.

I lost a decade to plantar fasciitis brought on by standing in one place at work all day then coming home to stand in the darkroom for another 4 to 8 hours. It got so bad I had to kneel in the gravel to push our daughter on a swing at the playground. That was over 10 years ago.

Found a Chiropractor who did Active Release Technique, which simply put, breaks up scar tissue in muscles and tendons while those muscles and tendons are moved through their full range of motion. Hurt like the dickens, but he gave me my life back in 5 sessions over 2 weeks.

All the health care workers where I live told me I'd never walk without orthotics again, but I was running 5K barefoot within a couple years of getting my feet worked on.

As a letter carrier with 550 houses on my route I walk up to 10 miles a day, 5 days a week, so my background level of fitness is pretty good. The hard part is easing into running as Dave suggested so injuries don't keep me from walking my route.

Thankfully, genetics seem to be on my side, so far...
Old 05-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #13
Guru

City: Trenton
I run 3 to 5 miles per day depending on how I feel. I have other problems that the running keeps at bay.
alormaria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:33 PM   #14
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I run, although not so often anymore. I used to do marathons when I was young. Not with competitive times but just to finish. I have one running speed; it's the same for 50 metres or 50 kilometres.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
... Not with competitive times but just to finish. I have one running speed; it's the same for 50 metres or 50 kilometres.
When I dare to dream, that's pretty much what I aspire to...

Little bits of what I've read or seen in documentaries about human evolution make me think only some of us are really meant to be runners.

Apparently there's a portion of mammals brains concerned with cohesive group size, and ours is large. When compared to other animals with known group sizes and extrapolating out for our brain, it's guesstimated our average group size before agriculture was about 150 people. In a group that size people could specialize according to their physical or cognitive abilities.

I saw a documentary about Kalahari Bushmen who still practiced Persistence Hunting, where 4 or 5 of them would keep a large antelope on the move for hours during the blistering midday African heat. The Bushmen could sweat and breath as necessary when they ran. The antelope couldn't sweat and couldn't pant heavily when it ran because its breathing was locked into its running gait when going fast.

For the last push, one Bushman who was the runner in the group took off alone to pursue the antelope until it was basically dead on its feet. The Bushman just walked up to it and plunged a spear in its side.

It's a gift to have the body and ability to run well.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:43 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Apparently there's a portion of mammals brains concerned with cohesive group size, and ours is large. When compared to other animals with known group sizes and extrapolating out for our brain, it's guesstimated our average group size before agriculture was about 150 people.
Memory is slipping...it was primates brains; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number
Old 05-23-2017, 05:27 AM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I saw a documentary about Kalahari Bushmen who still practiced Persistence Hunting, where 4 or 5 of them would keep a large antelope on the move for hours during the blistering midday African heat. The Bushmen could sweat and breath as necessary when they ran. The antelope couldn't sweat and couldn't pant heavily when it ran because its breathing was locked into its running gait when going fast.

For the last push, one Bushman who was the runner in the group took off alone to pursue the antelope until it was basically dead on its feet. The Bushman just walked up to it and plunged a spear in its side.
I sort of do that same thing. I'll push the grocery cart around and around the supermarket till my dinner can no longer escape from me.....

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:01 AM   #18

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
I don't run, but I do row a sliding seat boat I built years ago.

It works me head to toe without impacting my joints, they still seem to work good, haven't taken any of them in for a lube job or ball joint r & r. And it gets me on the water, a good thing all its own.

I get to sit down for a good workout and see where I have been!

And +1 for chiropractic therapies, they saved my mobility without surgery after damaging my spine.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: Into the Mystic
Vessel Model: Silverton 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I was running 5k 3x per week before I broke my ankle in December. I'm hoping to get back into it but it's taking forever to heal. I tried to run last week but all my tendons around that ankle still hurt and it was a disaster.

I broke my ankle in December also Cardude01. Did mine snow boarding. How about you? I had surgery where they put in a plate with 6 screws so now when people say I might have a screw lose, I assume they are referring to one of those. I started back running in April and it hasn't been to bad but I have not gotten back to 5 or 10 K's yet.

My ankle hurts a little most of the time but it's more annoying than anything else.

Hope you continue to heal and are able to get back to running soon.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:08 PM   #20
Guru

Our daughter broke her ankle last year and recently ran a 10k, but then again, she's 15 and heals up quicker than us old timers!