Diesel Subs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Spence

Vessel Name
Sea Eagle
Vessel Make
Californian 50' Cockpit M/V
SUGGESTIONS FOR THE FORMER DIESEL/ELECTRIC SUBMARINER WHO MISSES "THE GOOD OLD DAYS ON THE BOATS."
1. Invite 80 people you don't really like to come and visit for a couple months. Don't have enough food for them. Limit showers to weekly for all guests.

2. Spend as much time as possible indoors and avoid sunlight. Only view the world through the peep hole on your front door.

3. Sleep on the shelf in your closet. Two to three hours after you fall asleep, have your wife shine a flashlight in your eyes, and mumble, "Sorry, wrong rack."

4. Renovate your bathroom. Build a wall across the middle of your bathtub and move the shower head down to chest level. Shower once a week. Use no more than 2 gallons of water per shower.

5. Buy a trash compactor and use it once a week. Store garbage in the other side of your bathtub.

6. Paint the windshield on your car black. Make your wife stand up through the sunroof and give directions on where to drive. Drive through as many big puddles as possible.

7. Leave lawnmower running in your living room six hours a day for proper noise level.

8. Replace all doorways with windows so that you have to step up AND duck down to go through them.

9. Put lube oil in your humidifier instead of water and set it to "High."

10. Buy bunk beds (4-high type) and convert the narrowest hallway in your home to a bedroom.

11. Hook up your air compressor to the sewer line to the house and blow a **** geyser ten feet in the air. Come inside and tell your wife 'calmly,' "I forgot to shut the valve." Then, make her and the kids clean up the mess.

12. Change the plumbing under your house so that the sewer line is vented inside your home.

13. Every so often, yell "Emergency Dive," run into the kitchen and sweep all pots/pans/dishes off of the counter onto the floor. Then, yell at your wife for not having the place "stowed for sea."

14. Take the jack handle out of your car's trunk and install it in the ceiling over your stove. Several times a day, give it 112 turns and yell, "Main induction secured."

15. Practice walking quickly with your back to the wall.

16. While doing laundry, replace liquid fabric softener with diesel fuel.

17. Fill laundry tub with oil. Lay in it, on your back, and change the washers in the water faucets.

18. Take hourly readings on your electric and water meters.

19. Cut a hole in the floor of your house and install some batteries. Go down there once a day and take specific gravities.

20. Put on the headphones from your stereo (don't plug them in). Go and stand in front of your stove. Say (to nobody in particular) "Stove manned and ready." Stand there for 3 or 4 hours. Say (once again to nobody in particular) "Stove secured." Roll up the headphone cord and put them away.

21. Give your wife more free time. All of the ironing goes under the mattress.

22. Tag out the steering wheel, gas pedal, brake pedal, transmission and cigarette lighter when you change the oil in your car.
23. At night, replace all lightbulbs in the living room with red bulbs.

24. Repeat back everything anyone says to you.

25. Sit in your car for six hours a day with your hands on the wheel and the engine running, but don't go anywhere. Install about 200 extra oil temperature gages. Take logs on all gages and indicators every 30 minutes.

26. Lockwire the lugnuts on your car.

27. Watch only unknown movies with no major stars on TV, and then only at night. Have your family vote on which movie to watch, then watch a different one.

28. Have the paper boy give you a haircut.

29. Make up your family menu a week ahead of time without looking in your food cabinets or refrigerator.

30. Buy all food in cases and line the floor with them.

31. Eat only food that you get out of a can or have to add water to.

32. Wake up every night at midnight and have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on stale bread. (Optional -- cold beans and weenies, canned ravioli or soup).

33. Store your eggs in your garage for two months and then scramble a dozen each morning.

34. Use 18 scoops of coffee per pot and allow it to sit for 5 or 6 hours before drinking. Never wash any coffee cups.

35. When making cakes, prop up one side of the pan while it is baking. Then spread icing really thick on one side to level off the top.

36. Raise hell with your wife when she serves steak the next time. When she says that that's the way it came from the store, you ask, "BURNT?"

37. Go to the market and buy 100 quarts of milk. Pour them into a large white trash bag and secure. Put the bag in the refrigerator and rename it: "The Cow."

38. Use Kool Aid on your breakfast cereal for two months.

39. Just have someone chew your ass out over nothing, daily.

40. To duplicate normal in-port routine, hire about 20 drunks to come into your house about one in the morning and start cooking.

Sometimes it helps to remember the old days!!

Hmmm, I didn't see anything on that list that didn't apply to nucs too.

Ed

Attachments

• big t singled up.jpg
    big t singled up.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 109
There is a Gato class sub in Galveston that I toured many years ago.* The thing that impressed me the most was the Captains Quarters.* It was about 6 feet long 6 feet high and 3 feet wide.* And he was the Captain!
ashamed.gif

I was on that sub a few years ago. The outside was in pretty bad shape from rust. I hate to see pieces of history like that go away. The inside was still dry though. What a great way to live and see the world........

Attachments

• houston1 061.jpg
    houston1 061.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 172
  • houston1 062.jpg
    houston1 062.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 223
Don't forget the fun of SNORTING , (running with the snorkel) where the hull is used as penlum chamber for the diesels , and the boat air will go from sea level to 5000ft in seconds.

Great fun with a cold!!

FF

This is a photo of a privately owned sub on the hard at Pier 77 Yacht Service in Galveston.* Next to it is Troika.* This was in January 2006 when I was preparing Troika for our trip to Florida.* I can't recall exactly, but as I recall*the sub*is owned by a guy from either New York City or Chicago.* He had a lot of work done on it including having a faux machine guy mounted on deck.* When he cruised it with friends in Galveston Bay the Coast Guard took particular notice and the owner subsequently had the fake gun removed.*

Isn't life great, especially when you do silly stuff like buying your own submarine.* I think silly is GOOD. Ha
01-06-06_0824.jpg

Whoa! Sorry.
hmm.gif
So here's what happenned. I originally sent the photo from my laptop. When I seen Doug's post I looked on my laptop and it was right there, looking fine. So, I immediately did a "Huh, what" and thought what are you talking about. But then when I went up stairs to the desk top in our office I seen what you were talking about. Just a little box with a red "X" in it.

Sorry, Sorry, Sorry.
blankstare.gif
So anyway, I hope that it comes through on the forum now. My honey, who is home healing from foot surgery helped me to convert the file from my verizon cellphone to a useable file format on our desk top. The original picture I took with a Motorola 815 cellphone. Here goes;
idea.gif

Attachments

• submarine.jpg
    submarine.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 215

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom