Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #1

Coast Guard and machine guns

Cruising up the Long island Sound dodging lobster pots and next thing you know the Coast Guard is heading right at my starboard side. I tell my wife to gather the dogs and cat because we're being boarded. I throttle back and open the pilot house door to be greeted by a women turning a machine gun on me and telling me to speed up. All the while I'm thinking well shit, this is as fast as I go! Looking.over her shoulder I see one of our Navy's finest subs cruising into the Sound and she just wanted me out of the way. I'd been listening to their securitie calls tall day but they never mentioned entering the Sound. This stuff just makes boating fun!.

Dave
Old 08-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
They might have asked without pointing the gun at you... geez.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Guru

City: Georgia
They come in and out of Kings Bay (GA FL line) all the time. The ICW goes right by there, and they leave you alone as long as you don't stop and gawk.
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #4

City: Honolulu,HI
Vessel Name: Moemac
Vessel Model: 38" Dive boat
Its SOP. We have subs in and out all the time and more so now during RIMPAC. Major down side for me driving a dive boat is they jam alot of freuencys. Im trying to drop one of my divers on a mooring ball and the gps is all over the place!
hamrhed42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I got the crap scared out of me crossing Charleston Harbor about 35 years ago. It was dark and intermittent fog, and we did not have radar. There was an extremely loud horn that sounded very close by. Under the conditions it was hard to tell from which direction it came. I then heard rushing water close by. I looked around and saw coming out of the fog a flashing yellow light. That was all. Can anyone guess what it was?
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Guru

City: Georgia
Carrier?
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #7

hovercraft for $200 moonstruck
Old 08-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamrhed42 View Post
hovercraft for $200 moonstruck
No to both, but Hamrhed owes me $200.00.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #9

City: Hampstead,NC
Vessel Name: HoneyBadger
Vessel Model: 1990 Harkers Island Trawler Typical wooden hull with a Carolina flare and no deadrise at the stern
Kings Bay, GA is pretty touchy sometimes. Cruising out the St Marys river we had been up to Hwy 95 just checking the sights, Next thing i know is a call to" move or be struck by a navy vessel" looking around i pushed her up to 14 MPH over to the shallows and never seen the Sub only the chase gun boats !
honeybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #10

could of been the stern of a barge cant think of any other flashing yellow lights. IIRC flashing lights are used on vessels operating in non displacement mode ie hovercraft and seaplanes (flashing 120 hrz) and blinking are on the stern of the last barge in tow on the ICW and assist vessels (blinking 60 hrz). im just trying to recall the cfr's. but i could be wrong or it could be something different altogether.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
Guru

The thread we are on should have been a tip off.

A U.S. Navy regulation (Title 32 of the Code of Federal Regulations, section 707.7) permits the use of a flashing yellow light on submarines, but the flash characteristic is not the same. Also, submarines tend to be much quieter, do not generally travel sideways, and on occasion vanish.

Believe me on a dark foggy night with a black hull and no engine sound, it is an eerie feeling to have that bow passes by close to you. All he was showing was the single yellow light as mentioned above. Man that was scary.

Ron can probably verify this, but crossing Charleston Harbor on the ICW is not a point to point process. Coming from the North you are not in the main ship channel to long, but there are intersecting channels and a middle ground. Myriad channel and range markers. In limited visibility running by compass course makes it more difficult. When you are totally concentrated on that a loud ships horn close by is a very scary thing.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamrhed42 View Post
could of been the stern of a barge cant think of any other flashing yellow lights. IIRC flashing lights are used on vessels operating in non displacement mode ie hovercraft and seaplanes (flashing 120 hrz) and blinking are on the stern of the last barge in tow on the ICW and assist vessels (blinking 60 hrz). im just trying to recall the cfr's. but i could be wrong or it could be something different altogether.
Flashing yellow light on a barge pushed ahead or towed along side. We see those all the time here on the mighty Tennessee River.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #13

Checks in the mail
Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
They might have asked without pointing the gun at you... geez.
Agreed. And it seems that in later posts, Navy vessels don't seem to have to follow normal rules of the road and can just run you down if you don't get out of their way. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but isn't it the responsibility for the overtaking vessel to make a safe pass and not just point a gun at you and demand you give way.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #15
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
Coming out of Norfolk on the Chesapeake.
Attached Thumbnails
PB040023 (Medium).JPG   PB040024 (Medium).JPG  

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Agreed. And it seems that in later posts, Navy vessels don't seem to have to follow normal rules of the road and can just run you down if you don't get out of their way. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but isn't it the responsibility for the overtaking vessel to make a safe pass and not just point a gun at you and demand you give way.
It a security issue more than a rule of the road...plus Rule 2 Responsibility

a) Nothing in these Rules shall exonerate any vessel, or the owner, master, or crew thereof, from the consequences of any neglect to comply with these Rules or of the neglect of any precaution which may be required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case.

I think the "special circumstances of the case" when dealing with a nuclear sub supecededs the needs or wants of a fully functioning, recreation craft of small enough size that it should be able to do almost anything in open water.

My old boss at the Boating Safety Training Schoold when on a delivery up the ICW was asked to pull over and bow towards the bank until the sub passed at Kings Bay...and the patrol boat stayed behind him and yes the guns were manned...he, like me and thousands of other boaters though it was cool and an honor to see one of our finest up close....

I got chased by thre NJ State Police for cutting too close to the USS Saipan when she was entering Ambrose channel near NYC. They have no sense of humor with rec boaters and wasrships...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #17
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
................. Ron can probably verify this, but crossing Charleston Harbor on the ICW is not a point to point process. Coming from the North you are not in the main ship channel to long, but there are intersecting channels and a middle ground. Myriad channel and range markers. In limited visibility running by compass course makes it more difficult. When you are totally concentrated on that a loud ships horn close by is a very scary thing.
The Charleston Harbor is much like the sounds in GA. Two rivers joining to meet the ocean. (Locals claim that the Ashley and Cooper Rivers join to create the Atlantic ocean).

So, much like in the GA sounds, you head out towards the ocean, then cut back towards the other river. Straight across is too shallow for our boats.

So, we have recreational boats, charter boats, tug with tows, commercial shipping, ships coming and going from repair facilities on the closed Navy base, and a submarine base up the Cooper River. I've never seen a submarine here but I saw one leaving Kings Bay in GA this past spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Submarine_01.jpg  
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #18
Guru

Last week we were boarded about 10 miles offshore near port everglades Noticed the mount was there but no machine gun
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Last week we were boarded about 10 miles offshore near port everglades Noticed the mount was there but no machine gun
You need long ponytail and dark wraparound sunglasses if ya wanna see the heavy iron....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
Guru

I have been "approached" and given instructions (read that chased out of the way) by both the CG and the Navy in the vacinity of Groton/New London. Always a machine gun mounted and a gunner at the ready, never had it pointed at the boat, it was always pointed down.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote