Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #21
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You need long ponytail and dark wraparound sunglasses if ya wanna see the heavy iron....
I live on the ICW in hollywood fl I regulary see the CG flashing by usually deck mounted gun in full view sometimes with a canvas cover Last month, once again fishing offshore a customs boat ran up on us, did not board but question us deck gun in full view dont ever want to be on the wrong end of that
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We had visits from Netherland Antilles CG and the Venezuelan GC with in last 2 weeks. No gunners on deck but heck, how long would it take them to...
Attached Thumbnails
005a.jpg   002a.jpg  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #23
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Moon-I had a similar experience probably 20 years ago off Charleston-we were about 30 miles offshore late at night and heard whooshing and water running and a Trident surfaced about 150 yards away! Flat black hull and only the yellow light. Guy came out and over the radio they apologized for surfacing so close to us. Oddly enough, I took my 100 ton license test a few months later and one of the questions was "What was a single yellow light?"

On the CG, they are all over Elliott Bay, they refuel their RIBs at Shilshole so I see them quite a bit. All dressed in Kevlar, sidearms strapped on and the .50 Cal mount on the front. All Terrorism, All the Time, being a Coastie is cool now!
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I have never had to fire on a Navy ship, and hope I don't have to do so.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I have been "approached" and given instructions (read that chased out of the way) by both the CG and the Navy in the vacinity of Groton/New London. Always a machine gun mounted and a gunner at the ready, never had it pointed at the boat, it was always pointed down.
Similar to what has happened to us while in the channel passing Port Chicago Naval Weapons Station (Concord, CA). Approached by USCG RIB with machine gun, gunner at ready but gun pointed down. Told to leave the marked channel and go to a second channel farther from the depot, marked by temp bouys. Reason being there was a ship in port at the depot unloading munitions so USCG was enforcing the exclusionary zone and the normal shipping channel is within that zone.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #26

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
Machine gun

We were in Norfolk a few years ago and watched as the Enterprise returned home from deployment. I was motoring along at idle speed and must have drifted inside the 500 yard limit. We were suddenly the center of attention with 2 patrol boats and a helicopter gunship overhead. One of them insisted on talking over a hailed, which was next to useless with the chopper 50 feet up. But I got the message.
Bill
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #27

I think the gun ships Patrol the waters around Portsmouth Naval Shipyard 24/7. Once they thought I was a bit close although the GPS put me well out of the protected area. The man did point his big gun at my boat and told me to move off. Afterwards I thought what a #$%$^%$ storm they would cause if they ever pulled that trigger in such a circumstance. I think they should pay a little more attention to who they hire at the shipyard before they worry about recreational boats around it. Recently I believe it was a painter who torched a sub there and caused over 400 million worth in damage because of issues he was having with his girl friend. I understand that it took them over 7 hours to contain that fire. You would think that they would have ways to control such events in an enclosed "tin can".
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #28
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvie View Post
I think the gun ships Patrol the waters around Portsmouth Naval Shipyard 24/7. Once they thought I was a bit close although the GPS put me well out of the protected area. The man did point his big gun at my boat and told me to move off. Afterwards I thought what a #$%$^%$ storm they would cause if they ever pulled that trigger in such a circumstance. I think they should pay a little more attention to who they hire at the shipyard before they worry about recreational boats around it. Recently I believe it was a painter who torched a sub there and caused over 400 million worth in damage because of issues he was having with his girl friend. I understand that it took them over 7 hours to contain that fire. You would think that they would have ways to control such events in an enclosed "tin can".
Huge difference in security bewtween an unstable worker and a terrorist...while the results might be the same...totally different in internal safeguards.

If you stick to the main channel in Norfolk...you are nowhere's near the security zone.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #29
Guru

yep, we have had some friendly encounters. They were very cordial and friendly. Chuck

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_3427a.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	12249

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_3432a.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	12250
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #30
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I have never had to fire on a Navy ship, and hope I don't have to do so.
Looking at the arsenals you guys carry onboard (see Weapons Preservation on Board thread), you`d be well able to return fire, though maybe not for long. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #31
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Apparently the Feds got a hell of a deal on Ribs and a big budget for gas, because everybody has got a couple of them it seems.

While lingcod fishing this Spring off Cattle Point, San Juan Island, we were visited by US Customs, the DEA and the Coast Guard all within two hours. None of them boarded us, but Customs and DEA both stopped and asked the usual questions, how long have you owned the boat, what are you fishing for, what's your home port, etc. The Coast Guard circled us, but didn't stop. I'm sure those three, 300 horse outboards on the ribs burn lots of fuel.

Your tax dollars at work I guess?

Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #32
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Apparently the Feds got a hell of a deal on Ribs and a big budget for gas, because everybody has got a couple of them it seems.

While lingcod fishing this Spring off Cattle Point, San Juan Island, we were visited by US Customs, the DEA and the Coast Guard all within two hours. None of them boarded us, but Customs and DEA both stopped and asked the usual questions, how long have you owned the boat, what are you fishing for, what's your home port, etc. The Coast Guard circled us, but didn't stop. I'm sure those three, 300 horse outboards on the ribs burn lots of fuel.

Your tax dollars at work I guess?

Larry B

It's to make the public "feel safe" even if the actual risk remains the same. They can change the color system from yellow to amber to goldenrod, or whatever, and don't you just feel safer?

Don't you feel safer having them run drills and ride around than just sitting dockside on ready alert?
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler
Don't you feel safer having them run drills and ride around than just sitting dockside on ready alert?
Actually it does make me feel safer-- not from "terrorism" but from bad boating stuff happening- I know they've done the drills and know their equipment and are going to do their darnedest to save lives. Someday that could be me they rescue.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Actually it does make me feel safer-- not from "terrorism" but from bad boating stuff happening- I know they've done the drills and know their equipment and are going to do their darnedest to save lives. Someday that could be me they rescue.
Very good point. And all that practice with rec boaters will make them sharp when the real thing happens.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #35
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I'm thinking of mounting a gun on the bow of my boat. I wonder how that would play out.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If you stick to the main channel in Norfolk...you are nowhere's near the security zone.

Well, not exactly. In the Elizabeth River you actually pass very close by Navy Ships. There are a lot of Coast Guard and little gray boats with big guns running around. Stray from the center of the channel, and they will turn in your direction. The first picture is from our slip at Ocean Marine in Portsmouth. The second from our slip at Waterside on the other side of the river.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #37
Guru

City: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I'm thinking of mounting a gun on the bow of my boat. I wonder how that would play out.

Not too good I suspect.

Even if you upped the ante:

Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #38
Guru

City: Pensacola
They all have Rules of Engagement. I dont worry about them. They have a tough job to do.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #39
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Well, not exactly. In the Elizabeth River you actually pass very close by Navy Ships. There are a lot of Coast Guard and little gray boats with big guns running around. Stray from the center of the channel, and they will turn in your direction. The first picture is from our slip at Ocean Marine in Portsmouth. The second from our slip at Waterside on the other side of the river.

Well...yes...sorta....

But then again, all I meant is if you are in the channel and look like you are using it...even in the narrower area and not exactly in yhre middle (I had to pass a lot of traffic)...they just come out on an intercept without engaging....but make a slight course alteration towards the shore/vessels and things would change quickly I would think. On my charts the restricted areas are clearly marked in majenta (darker purple)...ALL of the channel (inside the buoys) is OK unless I think you make a meanacing move or give some other susipicious indicator. Not to say you could be in good water and they want you further away....just I have never been nor have I ever seen another vessel truly hasseled in that area in or near the channels.

That's not to say some boaters may not get engaged....but in my travels through there in the last several years were uneventful for me and every other boater I saw crusin' along.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #40
Guru

For the many of you that are familiar with the Mega Dock at Charleston City Marina, I call Norfolk "The Original Mega Dock".