China Marine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BaltimoreLurker

Curmudgeon
Vessel Name
Moon Dance
Vessel Make
1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
In the thread about tats I mentioned that my grandfather was a China Marine. That reminded me that I have dozens of photos he gave me. Here are a few. The handwritten note on the back of one of them is "Execution of Russians at Cantou Dec 13, 27"

I've been meaning to have them scanned on a high end scanner and then take the originals to the men at 8th & I for the archives. Do you think they'd want them?

Attachments

• China 4047.pdf
    255.1 KB · Views: 103
  • China 4048.pdf
    306.8 KB · Views: 90
  • China 4049.pdf
    377 KB · Views: 86
Yeah, The Sand Pebbles was set exactly when my grandfather was there. He was a 17 year old West Virginia country bumpkin, rode a mule into town and joined the Corps. Next thing you know, he's in China. What a mind bender that must have been.

I know the "old days" are heavily romanticized, but .... man, I sure wish I could have experienced something like that.

Pictures of China Marines

I suggest you contact the National Museum of the Marine Corps
They have an awesome collection of history of the Marines in China. I especially liked the exhibit of Sgt Major Dan Daly on the Peking Wall.

The Sand Pebbles is a must see for History buffs, it has a hidden message of how people learn that was insightful for me as a teacher.

A life well lived is a adventure every day!

Semper Fi to your Grandfather!

Back
Top Bottom