Old 11-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
My eyes were not bad enough to qualify for cataract surgery as far as vision went. I asked the doctor if anything could be done about the glare problem that I had, he said “glare, that qualifies for the surgery”. And it did.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #22

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Model: 36 Mainship
Poor night vision and difficulty driving while seeing streaks through a rainy windshield is sufficient to suggest you get in to let an expert have a look. You will be safer player when it gets done. You do not have to go for the fancy lenses. Stay basic. I did and I can read most normal print but need more light and/or dollar store glasses for really small print.
One of the problems is floaties. They are little stars that swim across your vision. Some can be knocked out. Others you live with.
On the other hand I do have mental floaties from time to time and the only good solution seems to be a 13% alcohol solution of fermented grapes. It does not currently require a prescription. I recommend it but of course ......to each his own
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:00 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsyiruncle View Post
I have had both eyes done and no longer wear glasses. It was driving with my non boating brother at night who could see bouys that I could not which convinced me...
They patch up the eye after surgery. I went to bed and removed the patch at night. Half way through the night I got thirsty. I went down to the frig in the dark and when I opened the door the light went on and almost blinded me....
Funny. Pre op I could not understand why at night other boats moved quickly and easily while I struggled to see.
First nights,I had a hard plastic cover taped over the eye covering,it stopped me scratching it,and I guess generally protected the eye.
I think most people wear sunglasses afterwards anyway, because the light transmission increases so much.
I see in the Thread List "Cataracts" is followed immediately by "Broken Lens". Well arranged, Admin!
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #24
Arc
Guru

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
I always wondered why appliances were tan. After surgery I found out they are actually white.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #25
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I had cataracts. They're gone now, no surgery. No known explanation. I'm in my 70s and was told I had cataracts starting to grow during routine eye exam about 5 years ago. The biggest change I noticed was distant lights become doubled and worse. But later the changes reverted. About the time of the eye exam I had started taking supplements for blood sugar and prostate. Only explanation I have is maybe some combination of those supplements had some effect. Now my eyes are about equal to age 50. If I want, I can read w/o glasses with some effort.

There are eye drops in Europe for dogs and horses that dissolve cataracts. Not approved for people. Tried to get some a couple years ago, but was unsuccessful.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:55 AM   #26

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
Worth It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Has anyone had Lasiks surgery? Kind of wondering if its worth the risks involved for the benefits.
My wife and I both had Lasik done several years ago at a provider that has several reputable locations in the PNW, PCLI. We have absolutely no regrets.
The only problem that I've heard of within our circle of friends & acquaintances was a corneal infection that ultimately required a transplant. This individual went bargain shopping and ultimately chose a "low priced" place in Canada. I'm not nocking Canadian medicine but people shopping for price alone were flocking there in the early to mid 2000's. Because his local optometrist and the Canadian provider weren't affiliated, there was enough of a delay in post op care that allowed the infection to take hold.
FWIW mono vision didn't appeal to us so we use cheaters as needed. I have one prescription pair for reading, doing cad work etc and a hand full of Costco cheaters scattered around the house, shop and boat.

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Saugatuck MI
Vessel Name: Odelay
Vessel Model: Transpac Eagle 32
Had Lasik done 16 or so years ago and still very happy I did it. After glasses and contacts from 5th grade to age 40, it was like a miracle to be done with all that. I also needed cataract surgery in one eye a few years back; opted for monovision, so I don't need reading (or any other) glasses.
Transpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #28
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
I had cataracts fixed by replacing the lens with a "Restore (tm)" lens that gives me close as well as far vision. I could have gotten the single vision lenses paid for by Medicare but the multi focus lenses they would NOT pay for. I saved my pennies and for $6000 got both done, NOT at the same time. Too dangerous. I hated bifocals and glasses in general and figure the 6K kept me out of the insane asylum!! I am a pilot and just could not get used to bi-focals in the cockpit. Its been 15 years now so I figure I paid less than $500 a year for my perfect vision. Money well spent. I think its cheaper now. I am 83 years old and have no restrictions on my drivers license. BUT the day after surgery I tried to get the restriction lifted and failed the test. You have to wait a month for them to heal before taking your eye test....LOL But I was anxious to get it done.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #29
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Lasik has come under some heavy criticism lately, and my wife who underwent it years ago, constantly complains because it did not resolve all her issues as advertised. It did relieve her f the need to wear glasses just to safely cross a room. Because I have amblyopia, and am not a candidate for it.

I have had one cataract removed and was amazed at the difference, but my need for reading glasses was unchanged because the new CLEAR lens was shaped to replace the original God-issue. I was informed that due to the shape of my eyes, 20/20 could never be achieved.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #30
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Chronically nearsighted for 50+ years. Had Lasik about 20 years ago - got 20/20 both eyes. Discovered that lasik correction tends to "wear off". Wound up with glasses to maintain 20/20 after about 15 years. Then, over a few years, the cataracts started. All very sneaky and gradual until I could barely pass a DL renewal eye test. Off to the optometrist who confirmed cataracts and then to the opthamologist.

That was an eye opener - there's your basic Medicare cataract correction, then there's the cataract correction plus "precision" lens replacement; or bifocal/trifocal lens. Precision is $1300 an eye; Bi/tri is an additional $1300 an eye. Went with precision distance in both eyes. wound up 20/20 one eye, 20/15 the other. Happy camper.

However, the most remarkable and unexpected improvement was getting Technicolor back - colors are vivid after the procedure. I think regaining color perception is almost as good as the improved basic visual acuity.

And, at least in my case, there was the most impressive and vivid color light show during the procedure - unlike anything I've ever experienced. My wife says I was grinning when they wheeled me out afterwards.

I'd encourage anyone whose eyesight is "changing" as a seasoned citizen to get it checked out. The procedure is a little wierd but painless. 24 hours and you're better than new. Makes boating better, too.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #31
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Cataracts, Starbursts and Prostates . . . Oh, my!

That stampeding sound you hear is any remaining TF millennials running for the door after figuring out the age group they’d stumbled into.

I have a doctor friend who was an early RK patient. She had terrible side effects, including ”twitching” vision. Several years ago, she was walking on a broken sidewalk in DC, tripped and hit her head and her vision stabilized. Not sure if she’s had additional procedures since then, but I’ve never heard her complain about vision problems again.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:10 PM   #32
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Yeah, Angus - both of them left.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #33
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Cataracts, Starbursts and Prostates . . . Oh, my!

That stampeding sound you hear is any remaining TF millennials running for the door after figuring out the age group they’d stumbled into.

I have a doctor friend who was an early RK patient. She had terrible side effects, including ”twitching” vision. Several years ago, she was walking on a broken sidewalk in DC, tripped and hit her head and her vision stabilized. Not sure if she’s had additional procedures since then, but I’ve never heard her complain about vision problems again.

I was having vertigo, "rocks in the head" and the dr sent me to have a procedure done that supposedly moves the rocks to a stable place in the ear. I then learned to do it myself. Every 3 months or so I had to do it again. Then a year ago I tripped on the step and fell forward on the concrete porch to a perfect three point landing. Toes and forehead. It knocked me out but I managed to stumble into my recliner before the lights went out. I havent had vertigo since. It apparently knocked all the loose crystals loose. I offered the doctor a rubber mallet and suggested a good sharp rap in the forehead could cure "rocks in the head".
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Portsmouth, RI
Vessel Name: Squeeze
Vessel Model: 2007 Mainship 400
Twilight zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
As soon as they removed the bandagesI could see perfectly without the glasses.
This post reminds me of an old Twilight zone episode. Hope what you saw once your eyes were unbandaged was better than what the character saw!! 🐷🐷🐷🐷
Gouchergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #35

City: madisonville la
Vessel Name: Princess M
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34
cataracts

Had sx 6 mo. ago. Went from 20/60 to 20/20. The world is brighter ! One down side however. Did not recognize the person I was shaving the first day! Lots of wrinkles and an ashen color to skin!
keith c is offline   Reply With Quote