JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Cars we should have kept

Quote:
SMTCapeCod wrote:

My Porsche 928s, so far I've kept two and sold one...
I had one but was using it as an every day driver.* The problem was that it was a $1,500 repair bill going someplace to happen.* If you go to the 928 parts book, arranged by price,*the least expensive part is a "wiper blade insert" at $15.00, the next part price is $1,500.00.* Everything was pricey for that car.* So it went away.

At the time they were built the dyed in the wool Porsche folks didn't like them.* Mainly due to the water cooled, front*engine.* A*REAL Porsche had to be air cooled, rear engined.* But the factory drivers and engineers thought it was one of the best production Porsche ever.* Possible only bested by a 914 -6 at that time.

Things have changed some what*now that they are all water cooled.*

Interesting side story is that the first 928 Serial # 928-001, so to speak,*chassis was built, then the body put onto that chassis was an Audi two door coupe that was stretched a bit after the B post.* The reason for this was the car could be tested*on the track in Weissach and then on the Autobahn with out anybody being the wiser.* I saw pictures of that car and it looked like a miss shaped Audi Coupe.* You looked at it and knew something was wrong but could not put your finger on it.* Of course at 100 kph on the road it looked like any other Audi.

-- Edited by JD on Monday 21st of November 2011 10:14:58 AM

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Cars we should have kept

JD,

I used to look longingly at ads for the 928 thinking it must be a great car but never took the bait.

Marin,*

The Silver Cloud may be my favorite car. Thanks for posting it. It has an F head engine. Overhead intake valves and side exhaust valves. Never even sat in one much less driven one. Never driven a Jag sedan either. Maybe I would'nt even like the Cloud after driving one but my chances of driving one are zip so???

Since we're posting cars here's one I DID keep. Could'nt sell it before we left for Alaska so I decided to take it w me. I'd like to sell it but not up here. The 455 Buick power is amazing and I love driving it in other ways too. Except for the wheels, mufflers, and radial tires it's 100% original. I do'nt think it sold like the others because of it's color ...bronze (brown).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sth71057.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	8615  

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #23
JD
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:Marin,*
The Silver Cloud may be my favorite car. Thanks for posting it. It has an F head engine. Overhead intake valves and side exhaust valves. Never even sat in one much less driven one. Never driven a Jag sedan either. Maybe I would'nt even like the Cloud after driving one but my chances of driving one are zip so???

Eric,

Rolls Royce's*have a*far better ride*in the back seat than they*do in the front.* They are not one of my favorites from a drivers point of view.

As a driver I like the Jag sedans far better.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
JD wrote:
Rolls Royce's*have a*far better ride*in the back seat than they*do in the front.* They are not one of my favorites from a drivers point of view.
*Years ago for reasons far to convoluted to go into here I attended a Rolls Royce driving school.* This was back when manual transmissions were still common even on RRs.* One of the things they spent a lot of time teaching us to do was feather the brake as the car came to a stop to completely eliminate any "settle back" when the car stopped.* The objective is to bring the car to a complete stop without the occupants realizing it had stopped (other than seeing it out the window) or feeling any inertial force at all when the car comes to a stop.* It is harder to master than you might think.*

When I drive a manual car today--- not too many of them around but my BMW, Land Rover, and pickup are manual--- I still do this automatically.* I don't believe it can be done with an automatic transmission.* I've tried using every technique I could think of and there is no way to avoid a jolt even it it's just*a slight one.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #25
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Unfortunately lost the pictures in a fire.

1956 Willys pick up
1959 Chevy pick up
1965 Ford mustang stock
2 1968 Ford Bronco's one stock one over the top

Many others I was glad to part with.

Almost chucked this whole boating idea last Wednesday when I looked at an original 1964 AC Shelby in great condition sitting in a friends shop in Gilroy.
When my friend fired it up my wife drug me away kicking and screaming
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #26
Guru

Very yes! I've prided myself to be able to stop the "settle back". I usually stop so one can feel it but I come fairly close without thinking. I can't believe how many bus drivers actually do an exaggerated "settle back" and it's ridiculous to be so unskilled as a professional driver of people carrying vehicles. The way some of the drivers stop the buses in Ketchikan it's difficult to sit on the side seats. It's nice to know there are other drivers that are aware. Another nice thing to do for your passengers is to come out of a corner without an abrupt stop to the turn. Very few people return the wheel to the straight ahead position without a tad bit of an abrupt stop to the turn. Try to bring the turn to a very smooth completion and see the difference. Slow down the rotation of the wheel at a very nonlinear rate so the passengers ca'nt feel the completion of the turn. I like to do it. It's a bit like when you hit a golf ball perfectly.*
Old 11-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #27
JD
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
*I like to do it. It's a bit like when you hit a golf ball perfectly.*
*That hasn't happened yet for me.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #28
Guru

Speaking of Porsches, the modest city of Larisa, the capitol of Thessally (it's in Greece, for those of you in Rio Linda) with a population of 250,000 inhabitants, has more Porsche Cayennes than New York or London, due to E.U. agricultural subsidies and the Greek proclivity for not paying taxes.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -

These were sent to my by the owner of the BMW shop I use. They are supposedly actual billboard that were put up around Detroit. I don't know if this is true but even if it isn't there are some good statements here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gm1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	8693   Click image for larger version

Name:	gm2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	8694   Click image for larger version

Name:	gm3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	8695   Click image for larger version

Name:	gm4.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	8696   Click image for larger version

Name:	gm5.jpg
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	8697  

Name:	gm6.jpg
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	8698   Click image for larger version

Name:	gm7.jpg
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	8699   Click image for larger version

Name:	gm8.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	8700   Click image for larger version

Name:	gm9.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	8701   Click image for larger version

Name:	gm10.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	8702  

Name:	gm11.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	8703   Click image for larger version

Name:	gm12.jpg
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	8704   Click image for larger version

Name:	gm14.jpg
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	8705   Click image for larger version

Name:	gm15.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	8706   Click image for larger version

Name:	gm16.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	8707  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #30
Guru

Detroit Iron

Noth'in like it

Every time I drive the old Buick the past comes roaring back.

Big *strong *smooth and graceful...

if driven by a gentleman
Old 11-26-2011, 01:52 AM   #31

City: South Puget Sound, WA
Cars we should have kept

Three that would be fun to have again:
1955 Pontiac convertible, Poppy Red with a white top and deep shag carpet. Breathed on 316 with a reworked 4-speed hydro. Totalled on a hot August night 1968.
1961 bug eyed Austin Healy Sprite. Rescued from a wrecking yard and restored.
1962 Impalla 2 door, built 283 with a Hurst shifter, 4:11 rear end and glass packs. Boy did that car sound sweet crusing down Main in 2nd gear!
Just once before I die I want to own a car again that when I start it people look out the window to see what it is.

PS: Burned valves and rusted out*exhaust is not exactly the sound I'm looking for.

-- Edited by Budds Outlet on Saturday 26th of November 2011 02:58:08 AM
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #32
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Detroit Iron

Noth'in like it

Hide the women and children.

The boys are out tonight.

Not for the faint of heart!!*************************** KJ

[img]../../download.spark?ID=1042515&aBID=115492[/img]
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #33
Guru

City: Trenton
I wish I would have kept all my cars and bikes.
Except the Renault Turbo Fuego.
I wish I had never bought it.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #34
Guru

The one I wish I could get back. I put in a 351W with '69 small chamber heads, dual exhaust, Holley 4BBL, a Ramsey PTO winch, and a soft top. She turned more heads than a new Corvette. Even the head nun at the hospital I worked at begged a ride in her from me one day! She had me drive her over to the "nunnery" and rack the pipes so the others would come outside and see her in it. She then made one of them take her pic so she could send it back to Ireland.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #35
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Detroit Iron

Noth'in like it
American Muscle personified:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	American Muscle.1.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	11091  
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #36

i ,had a 1936 ford phanton 4 dr converable when i was 1 old 18 yrs old,girls were not a problem at all. now i am 82 and driving jap cars LOL
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #37
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Mine was the 1965 Mustang I bought when I came back from Vietnam in 70'. Oddly enough it had been owned by an older couple...low mileage, and in great shape. Paid cash for it...I was still on AD...and was posted to Ft. Stewart, GA....tried to get insurance...but it was too expensive....they classed the car as a "sports car"....and wanted way too much to insure it....

Me I liked the M-14...I was in Vietnam when they were making the transition to the Matty Mattel M-16....hated it. But they said we had to use them.... I would love to have an M-14...not happening any time soon...but I would settle for a Match Grade M-1 in a heartbeat.

I brought a Nazi Mauser Rifle home from Vietnam...when we captured it, it was still wrapped and coated with cosmoline...or something similar. Had all matching serial numbers...with the Reich's eagle stamped in each grouping....my apartment got burgled in Tampa...and it disappeared....
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #38

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 1988 Mainship Sedan 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
I had one but was using it as an every day driver.* The problem was that it was a $1,500 repair bill going someplace to happen.* If you go to the 928 parts book, arranged by price,*the least expensive part is a "wiper blade insert" at $15.00, the next part price is $1,500.00.* Everything was pricey for that car.* So it went away.
That's quite a piece of hyperbole there regarding the parts...but I wouldn't say that it is inaccurate in spirit. It has it's own "BOAT" factor, particularly if sourcing parts from the dealership network or paying techs to do the care and upkeep. All of mine saw DD driver duty, and I have one now that is DD.

Quote:
At the time they were built the dyed in the wool Porsche folks didn't like them.* Mainly due to the water cooled, front*engine.* A*REAL Porsche had to be air cooled, rear engined.* But the factory drivers and engineers thought it was one of the best production Porsche ever.* Possible only bested by a 914 -6 at that time.

Things have changed some what*now that they are all water cooled.*
All true, and I'd add that there was/is also the human factor in that the intent in designing the 928 from a tabula rosa, was to supercede the rear-engined air cooled turtle cars.

Quote:
Interesting side story is that the first 928 Serial # 928-001, so to speak,*chassis was built, then the body put onto that chassis was an Audi two door coupe that was stretched a bit after the B post.* The reason for this was the car could be tested*on the track in Weissach and then on the Autobahn with out anybody being the wiser.* I saw pictures of that car and it looked like a miss shaped Audi Coupe.* You looked at it and knew something was wrong but could not put your finger on it.* Of course at 100 kph on the road it looked like any other Audi.
We actually have a bead on VIN #001, the track/test mule was probably a numbered prototype, but not given a serial number per se.
928 Classics - Home
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	86 MOTOR.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	31157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cam1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	31158   Click image for larger version

Name:	trips.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	31159  
Attached Images

SMTCapeCod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #39
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
The one rig I've owned that I really liked better than any other is one I still have. It's a '98 Explorer that I bought new and now keep down in AZ for our driver when we go south. It's not flashy, doesn't get great mileage (5.0L V8) but as far as a rig that's been absolutely trouble free, comfortable to drive and always gets me where I'm going, it's #1 in my life. It only has 107K on it and I plan to keep it until it rolls over and dies. (Explorers did have a problem with rollovers, but if you drive 'em like they were designed to be driven there's no issue there).

As far as guns I wish I still had, at one time in the 80's I had all the barrel lengths of S&W 29' and 629's in .44Mag. I was a cop so got 'em all at discounted prices.

I've given most of my rifles and shotguns and my large gun safe to my son. He had way more guns than I did so I gave him my Ft. Knox safe and bought a cheapie to keep my own hardware in.

Now that I have my LEOSA card I'll be packing more than I have in the past. We're taking a trip back east in August for 3 weeks. I'm not sure if I want to take a handgun with lots of capacity (9mm 5906) or one that's easier to conceal (Model 60).
Old 07-09-2014, 12:54 AM   #40

City: St. John USVI
The best was a 1970 judge gto convertible, one of the last I let go
1957 chevy
1957 studebaker hawk with a viper engine and trans
2001 viper
1948 plymouth with suicide doors and a 350 engine and turboglide and modern running gear
1954 cadillac convertible
1987 porsche 911
1965 corvette convertible--had it for 20 years and the last i sold
1964 i think barracuda
1958 bugeye sprite
1996 mini cooper
1998 jaguar xk8
1965 lincoln convertible
I had all of these at the same time. Neighbors constantly raising a fuss and then they passed a special ordinance limiting how long cars could be parked in the driveway so i had to let them go.

Itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote