Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #21
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Carnage in Brookings Harbor, Oregon

Quote:
Tonic wrote:

Man, you are a cynic!* Here's another view.* I seriously doubt anyone needs to be photoshopping photos of the mess in Japan.
I have to agree. Why would anyone waste their time creating sensational photos when nature already did that. Having been in the lower ninth ward of New Orleans just days after the levee breach, I don't doubt any of the photos. As to the table and chairs, they could be bolted in place.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #22
KMA

City: Merritt Island

Mike,

Ditto what everybody else has said re: our sympathies to those affected by this tragedy.* Kinda makes ya wonder if God is saying "Here, now maybe ya'll will get along better".

KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #23
Guru

Interesting, that in Japan there is no wide-spread looting as there would be here in the U.S. Even with food and fuel shortages there is no rioting. My guess it is because Japan is a homogenous society. Everyone is Japanese by ancestry. They do not accept immigrants as Japanese citizens. Babies born in Japan of non-Japanese people are not considered Japanese citizens, (what a concept.) Ergo, the Japanese people are one. A good guess?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #24

Quote:
KMA wrote:
Mike,

Ditto what everybody else has said re: our sympathies to those affected by this tragedy.* Kinda makes ya wonder if God is saying "Here, now maybe ya'll will get along better".
It's unfortunite that it usually takes a catastrophy to get us all rowing in the same direction. *

Here's a few photos I took today of a friend's 42' Grand Banks that was carried out to sea and then brought back into the rocks, just south of the Brookings Harbor entrance. Up to Friday this was one of the most beautiful, well equipped and cared for boats in the marina.

Tonic, you are absolutely correct; after seeing what Japan is dealing with, we aren't complaining here!

Marin, being a Grand Banks guy, you may not want to see these. It broke my heart to see her here.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the demise of pengrin ii (6).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	5389   Click image for larger version

Name:	the demise of pengrin ii (12).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	5390   Click image for larger version

Name:	the demise of pengrin ii (7).jpg
Views:	55
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	5391   Click image for larger version

Name:	the demise of pengrin ii (2).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	5392   Click image for larger version

Name:	the demise of pengrin ii (3).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	5393  

coyote454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #25
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
coyote454 wrote:

KMA wrote:
Mike,

It's unfortunite that it usually takes a catastrophy to get us all rowing in the same direction. *

Here's a few photos I took today of a friend's 42' Grand Banks that was carried out to sea and then brought back into the rocks, just south of the Brookings Harbor entrance. Up to Friday this was one of the most beautiful, well equipped and cared for boats in the marina.

Tonic, you are absolutely correct; after seeing what Japan is dealing with, we aren't complaining here!

Marin, being a Grand Banks guy, you may not want to see these. It broke my heart to see her here.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon

That makes your heart hurt.* Just plain trash at this point.*

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 AM   #26
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

WOw Coyote! I hate to see that GB on the beach and the damage to your boat. Glad to hear no one there got hurt- it is just mind boggling the power of nature to have an earthquake so far away cause so much damage so far away.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #27
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Its all a matter of luck and timing.* If the boat were swept out to sea, it would have been nice if someone chased after it and ran her back to her slip.

Too Bad,* Hate to see such a wreck!

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #28

Carnage in Brookings Harbor, Oregon

Mike,
So sorry to see all this damage to your boat and that GB. Count your blessings and we are thankful you are okay. Our boat is moored at Moss Landing, which is a short distance from Santa Cruz, and other than having a tremendous amount of water sucked out of the marina, all is well at ML and we heaved a huge sigh of relief for that. Half Moon Bay, Pillar Marina, is north of Santa Cruz and it escaped unscathed as well, however it too had water sucked out, I believe I read in the news it lowed 7" in just minutes and it was low tide. At the time of the surges, the news indicated they were seriously monitoring the water levels at Moss Landing. The power plant there at ML has a lookout on one of the two towers there, so there was lots of activity. The power of Mother Nature should never be underestimated. The videos you posted just makes one cringe, as do the ones of Japan. I believe Santa Cruz sustained 12 million in damages and over 4 million in boat destruction. It really is heartbreaking. Take care my friend and our thoughts are with you.

Patti and Rocky

-- Edited by Rocky on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 10:19:56 AM
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #29

Patti and Rocky,

The video you posted was incredable! I had heard about the devistation at Santa Cruz but hadn't seen it yet. But as we've said before, as bad as the tsunami hit the Pacific coast, we can't complain when we see what Japan is going through. *Our hearts go out to those millions of families.

I think the big thing that saved us here in Brookings, if we can call what happened being 'saved', was that the surge came in past the bar at approximately 8-10 feet, but when it comes past the entrance it goes into both basins as well as up the Chetco River. Having the water run into three areas helped minimize the surge to a more reasonable 3-4 feet. *It completely took out the first dock in the sports basin, but an 8-10 footer would have completely desimated the entire marina.

Thanks again for the kind thoughts. *I'm certainly glad you weren't beaten up by this 'event'. I know I won't think, "This can't happen to us", again!

Mike
Brookings, Oregon
Old 03-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #30

Information was passed to my hubby that U dock at the Santa Cruz marina had 34 boats moored, after the surge, only 4 boats were left.* Marina is closed, you can't leave it or come into it.* So very sad.* Good wake-up call.* With us living 3 hours away, felt so fortunate to have some dock friends we could call to check our lines, etc.* I have the same feelings as a previous poster on this thread....seems like there should have been someone that could have rounded up some of these boats that were just floating loose.*
Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #31
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 11:42:14 AM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:I've watched the video 4 times and each time I can't help but notice how the small power boats take the wave on their beam much better than the sail boats.(?????)

Makes me almost sick to watch the destruction.

I didn't get the chance over the weekend to check my own boat as I was "under the weather", but when I finally made it down to the marina yesterday, I felt guilty that SeaHorse was OK.

As someone on another thread posted earlier, we had an 8-10 knot current and a rise in water level of two feet. All in 15 minutes.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #33
Ed
Veteran Member

City: Brownsville
Vessel Name: Makin Do
Vessel Model: PT38 Sedan #60

SeaHorse II, do you have a link for video in San Diego?
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Ed wrote:SeaHorse II, do you have a link for video in San Diego?
Ed:
The 8-10 knots and 2 feet rise in water level that I'm referring to happened in San
Diego. These figures were reported in someone else's post on this forum within the
past few days. To my knowledge, there's no video on it.

My comment on the small boats doing better than the sail boats was in reference to
the Brookings, OR video.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:I've watched the video 4 times and each time I can't help but notice how the small power boats take the wave on their beam much better than the sail boats.(?????)

I suppose it has something to do with sailboats' rounded hulls making them easier to roll and continue rolling.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #36
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

SeaHorse II wrote:I've watched the video 4 times and each time I can't help but notice how the small power boats take the wave on their beam much better than the sail boats.(?????)I suppose it has something to do with sailboats' rounded hulls making them easier to roll and continue rolling.
It looked like some of the sailboats were smaller center board boats.** If the boards are up,*and that's the way most folks leave them, they will really roll around a lot.* Shoal keels will as well.* I would think a boat with a 5-6 foot keel would be a bit more stable.* But if the water*flow under the boat was strong then the righting momentum is less.

-- Edited by JD on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 04:31:30 PM
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Mike, My heart sank as I watched your video. I was gasping as I looked at your friend's GB. Just this AM, I was admiring your boat on the Photos page. No doubt, she'll be returned to her previous glory.

My thoughts go out to all who have suffered losses, great and small, over the past week. It makes one rethink his priorities.

God bless!!
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #38

Alan,

Thanks for the kind thoughts. As you said, it's a time like this that you evaluate your priorities. The boat, although a great source of fun and excitment, is just a 'thing'. Things can be replaced, and as I said earlier on this thread, no one was killed or even injured during this event, so we're feeling very blessed indeed. *And when you factor in Japan....well, we've got very little to complain about here.

My little ship will be brought back better than she was before, the harbor will be rebuilt and we find friends helping friends (and strangers) every day at the port. *I do feel for the friend who lost his Grand Banks. *But there again, a 'thing' was lost and not a life.

Thanks again.

Mike
Brookings, Oregon
Old 03-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #39
Guru

For you California guys, Google: Catalina Tsunami Damage. The page has two videos of the surge in Cat Harbor. The headline reads "Ten Boats Lost" but the videos just show the dinghy dock being carried away. I'm guessing the "Ten Boats" were dinghys.
Gotta evacuate now, the lame-stream media, in cahoots with the wacko-enviros in the White House, has decreed that a plume of radiation is headed this way and we are all gonna die.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #40

Am wondering if the wave surges Santa Cruz, CA had last week may be the culprit for this disaster.

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world...al-876010.html

This 40ft of Hwy 1 is south of Moss Landing where I boat is located, but one wonders if there will be more of this "crumbling of the highway into the Pacific" to come.

-- Edited by Rocky on Thursday 17th of March 2011 03:53:04 PM