Captain's wrong...sometimes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It must be true - she played a star ship captain on TV!

Sometimes I wonder if there's any intelligent life on this planet.

She narrated the documentary. Probably got very well paid for it. That doesn't necessarily mean that she believes it.

Often when I drive downtown I wonder how half the population actually gets themselves dressed and fed in the morning. Like George Carlin said: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." or "The IQ and the life expectancy of the average American recently passed each other in opposite directions."

I never understood why people pay so much attention to actors. Their job is to act out something. So that makes what they say worthy of our time, beyond us just being entertained?? Still don't get it...

I never understood why people pay so much attention to actors. Their job is to act out something. So that makes what they say worthy of our time, beyond us just being entertained?? Still don't get it...

Ski, refer to post #4.:D

I actually ponder this one a lot. Why are we more likely to buy a product that some famous actor or sports figure was PAID to sell us? Why do we think we know these people personally, just because we've seen them in the movies or on the field? Why do we get all weird when we're near them, or value their autographs?

Granted, they are talented and motivated people who deserve our respect. But what about the talented and motivated teachers, and physicians, and home health care aids, and paramedics, etc.? Don't they deserve at least as much respect, if not more?

I don't get it. And I hate not understanding something.

I actually ponder this one a lot. Why are we more likely to buy a product that some famous actor or sports figure was PAID to sell us? Why do we think we know these people personally, just because we've seen them in the movies or on the field? Why do we get all weird when we're near them, or value their autographs?

What's this "we", kimosabe?

What's this "we", kimosabe?

I was trying to be polite by not excluding myself from this generalization. Our society as a whole must be buying crap based on celebrities pitching it to us, or the advertising geniuses wouldn't be hiring them to do so.

Personally, I go the other way. I try to avoid products that are over-advertised, especially by meaningless celebrity endorsements.

I agree. The ability to pretend you are someone else doesn't mean you are an expert in anything but that. Nowhere is it more obvious than when actors endorse politicians or political parties. You have to be an idiot to blindly believe those people.

George Carlin probably has a quote for it.

Back
Top Bottom