Old 04-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
ban may be keeping some from entering marine industry

In a time when its all about jobs, I saw this coming. My son tested positive for pot and was let go from a fishing boat. Sad, but Federal vs State. Please lets not turn this political I don't want to go to Deep End Jail!!

https://www.workboat.com/news/govern...ent=newsletter
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Where do you expect it to go with that post?

You brought up fed vs state...isnt that a political discussion by nature?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #3
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
I understand that some companies are ending marijuana testing as too many applicants are testing positive.

It's unfortunate that testing only picks up use of pot and not in the person is impaired.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I guess the simple question is, "Would you want your son working for someone (captain) who tested positive for drugs". Commercial fishing is dangerous enough without the guy working next to you being high.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
Federal or State, hiring companies often have their own policies, background checks, etc. It's all a condition of employment, agreed to up front when you take the job. And of course it's mandatory for any form of marine license, US or international. Was having a ticket a requirement for the job?
Old 04-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #6
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I agree with everyone. I asked my son what the hell was he thinking? As more and more states adopt pot to add money to their budget, this type of work may run into an employment crisis.....It will be interesting to watch.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I guess the simple question is, "Would you want your son working for someone (captain) who tested positive for drugs". Commercial fishing is dangerous enough without the guy working next to you being high.
The disconnect, however, is that a positive test has nothing to do with whether the employee is 'high'. All it means is that the employee used the drug (in this case pot) within whatever the testing period is. If the employee isn't under the influence when he comes on board and doesn't smoke while on board the boat, is he really a negative impact on the safety of the boat?

I'll confess that in my 58 years, I have never (at least yet) tried pot. I do wonder, however, what is the real difference between pot and alcohol use. (Keeping in mind that most real science, no longer considers pot to be a gateway to other drug use.)

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #8

City: Gustavus
Vessel Name: Troll Hunter
Vessel Model: Allweather
Testing positive for pot does not mean you are high. It only means you were high at some time in the past. You can test positive a month after smoking and not have had any since. For sure if you have reason to suspect that an employee is high on the job do something about it but doing a pee test will not tell you if they are currently high. I can come to work having drunk a six pack 8 hours ago and be terribly hung over but god forbid if I smoked a joint a week ago. I supervise captains and deckhands and they are subject to random and pre-emplloyment testing. Personally I don't care if they smoke a joint once in a while just not on the job. They will definitely lose their jobs though if they test positive for pot. I think it is unfair and an invasion of privacy.
ak-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #9
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Damn, I'm sorry for you & your son.
The fishing fleet here on the Chesapeake has a zero tolerance policy & random testing so if you test positive for any substance, there's no second chance. Yet if you get a DUI or DWI, you can retain your job if you get a good lawyer & enroll in an AA program. Just dumb IMO but I realize the company has rules & if you're going to work for someone, you need to follow their rules. Period.
Another life lesson learned by your son. Whatever you do, be a supportive parent! I'm sure you already are,though.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #10
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-guy View Post
Testing positive for pot does not mean you are high. It only means you were high at some time in the past. You can test positive a month after smoking and not have had any since. For sure if you have reason to suspect that an employee is high on the job do something about it but doing a pee test will not tell you if they are currently high. I can come to work having drunk a six pack 8 hours ago and be terribly hung over but god forbid if I smoked a joint a week ago. I supervise captains and deckhands and they are subject to random and pre-emplloyment testing. Personally I don't care if they smoke a joint once in a while just not on the job. They will definitely lose their jobs though if they test positive for pot. I think it is unfair and an invasion of privacy.
Exactly
Old 04-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #11
Guru

I get it all and risked my life more than I can remember in the drug war...so I have a horse in the race.

I also have people close to me benefiting from medical marijuana.

It is painful to me to see the absolute insanity of this countries policies and attitudes involving all levels of drugs.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
The disconnect, however, is that a positive test has nothing to do with whether the employee is 'high'. All it means is that the employee used the drug (in this case pot) within whatever the testing period is. If the employee isn't under the influence when he comes on board and doesn't smoke while on board the boat, is he really a negative impact on the safety of the boat?

Jim
There is a difference.

Alcohol is legal and it's ok to use it in your off time, just not be impaired when you come to work.

Pot is illegal all the time for this job (until the law is changed). So it's not about whether you use it at work or not, it's about whether you follow work place employment rules. If you're not going to follow the rules, does that mean you're more likely to come to work still buzzed from the night before? I don't know.

Ted
Old 04-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #13
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
The drug testing policies of most companies have makes no sense.

Marijuana can be detected for much longer than any other drug, even though its probably the least harmful. The most common testing detects pot for up to 4 weeks after in has been smoked. This compares to only 24-48 hours for other much harsher drugs like crystal meth. This is one of the reasons that the use of crystal methamphetamine has increased so much.

There are new saliva tests that will detect levels of drugs in the system which will impair a person's ability to work/drive etc. The South Australian traffic police use this, but almost all companies still use the old urine tests.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #14
Guru

My chief engineer son is employed by the largest, best paying shipping company in the world. Crewmembers are subject to random drug testing in any part at any time. A positive test means you are history. What is at stake is the company losing it's multi-million dollar insurance policy. Is it worth it to lose your job and your ticket, just to get high?
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #15
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
ban may be keeping some from entering marine industry

The standard test is a hair sample 1.5” from the follicle. That tests up to 3 months of exposure as hair grows on average 0.5” per month. It’s going to be moot soon in Canada.
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #16
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
First the government made testing mandatory for my pilots and mechanics. Then my insurance company made testing mandatory for any one who had access to the flight line. If you tested positive for anything including alcohol you were done. We all know alcohol pass thru the system quickly and pot does not. This just makes pot high risk for your career. Even if the feds make it legal i’m Not so sure the insurance companies are going to back off.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:05 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I agree with everyone. I asked my son what the hell was he thinking? As more and more states adopt pot to add money to their budget, this type of work may run into an employment crisis.....It will be interesting to watch.
Starbucks used to not allow any visible tattoos or facial piercing. They may have had to change that policy as they find it harder to find potential employers that qualify.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #18
Guru

seems like half of all Americans are on some kind of long term drug.

only after decades are some of the side effects truly known.

just seems crazy that some drugs are considered OK and others arent...and sure I know someone draws the line...

just seems like its way off course though.....
Old 04-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #19
Guru

When it comes to employment, I don't think zero tolerance is all that bad. An employee just has to decide if it's worth the money. It does make me laugh though. Usually you see an employer maybe paying more for a higher health risk job. Here we have employers maybe paying more to employees with a healthier life style.

Ted
Old 04-07-2018, 08:29 PM   #20
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
There is a difference. [snip] So it's not about whether you use it at work or not, it's about whether you follow work place employment rules.
+1. Thank you.

Just because you don't like the law/rules doesn't mean you can break them as long as you have some emotional argument. I may or may not agree with you, but it doesn't matter. If you don't like the law, get it changed. Period.
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote