Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #21
Guru

City: Trenton
I gave up trying to figure out where cars came from. I'd been buying Acuras but felt bad about the American auto workers. Then I found out the cars are built in Maryland. So I felt better.

Still I wanted a four door "American" car with a standard shift. The only one I found and bought was a Chrysler PT Cruiser. Later, I come to find it was built in Mexico. Ugh!

Good luck with your Fords. They may have been built on the moon. I'm not sure it matters.

alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Tah Daaaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Look, it's not all doom and gloom and one way traffic.
Marin especially will be thrilled to note that the worlds greatest source of tractor grease, Vegemite! is now owned by an American company.You may have lost the edge in the automotive race but you gained Vegemite.
Now Marin will be able to celebrate the arrival of his new Ford truck/Ute/ whatever with one of these Andy.....

Oh, and by the way Marin, take heart, I think you wil find you Ford is of acceptable quality. Not being a native Aussie, blinded by loyalty to their precious Holdens and Ford Falcons, especially having owned two of the latter, which still had the same fault cropping up, and same bits breaking or falling off between the two models which were 10 years apart in manufacture, I was never a fan. However, I have to admit since test-driving the Ford Territory, (sold under some other name I think there in the US), even though we settled on the Subaru Outback, the latest Fords (and Holdens - also sold in US under the Chevvy name I think), are now recognised by those who know as world class cars in design and quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	16333  

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Peter-- the new Ford truck is replacing an old Ford truck that I bought new and is now exactly 30 years old. Still runs okay but the interior is falling apart and in comfort and amenities it's a Conestoga wagon compared to today's trucks. In terms of longevity a Ford truck is a pretty good investment.

I'm not too worried about the build quality. Auto assembly has become so automated and simple in terms of the human tasks that as long as the people doing the job aren't actually dead it's pretty hard to mess it up, I think. Although I would certainly prefer it if the truck was going to be made in Japan or Korea where the work ethic probably has a positive effect on quality.

There's a good chance it will be put together in Canada. I don't know what the Canadian auto assemblers are like.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #24
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Marin;
There's a good chance it will be put together in Canada. I don't know what the Canadian auto assemblers are like.[/QUOTE]

Cue the video of Monty Pythons "I'm a lumberjack" song. Where is RT Firefly when you need him?
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #25

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
The disregard for the American, or other countries, workers is sad and ignorant.

With 2000 to 5000 workers in an auto plant, sure hope too many are not near dead.

How many workers work in the Boeing plant? Are they almost near dead?

While I have a much smaller work force than a auto plant, the manufacturing plant I manage has workers from 6 or7 countries. All work hard, and care that what they are assinged to do is done correctly.

Good luck with your new truck, feel sad for you and your arrogant views.
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #26
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu View Post
Good luck with your new truck, feel sad for you and your arrogant views.
User CP, Edit Ignore List,
Old 02-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #27

Vessel Model: Gulfstar 38MC
MurrayM, thanks.

A lot of his views on boats and the aviation world I enjoy reading about, just not the arrogance.
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I totally agree! Everybody should buy Canadian products 100% of the time
I try but most stuff in Canada costs way too much money. Some years ago I noted a brand name Irish sport coat in Dublin was about 50% more than the same coat in the US. Price out an Acura MDX made in Canada vs the same unit shipped into the US. Or, as I saw last week, in Canada gas at the pump going for $1.15 per litre vs $2.85 per gallon at the station near my home in Utah. The answer of course is in country taxes.

Some years ago I was so proud of my new US made Suburban, until I crawled under it and saw a sticker on the bumper that said Assembled in Mexico.

Buying made in the US or Canada is as noted by others, a guessing game as to country of origin.

An article caught my eyes some years ago where BMWs made at a spiffy new US factory had fewer defects than the same model assembled in Germany. Ditto the Mercedes M. And if one believes Consumer Retorts, buying any German car is a path to maintenance yipes. I noted the same when I switched from German to Japanese builds.

Marin, your new Ford PU - is it a diesel?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I was teasing the OP (hence the winky & smiley faces) because he didn't say what country he was referring to. A gentle reminder that there are other countries, sometimes with different views, that are also along for the ride on this little, lonely planet of ours.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Marin;
Quote:
There's a good chance it will be put together in Canada. I don't know what the Canadian auto assemblers are like.
Cue the video of Monty Pythons "I'm a lumberjack" song. Where is RT Firefly when you need him?
Hmmmm... I wonder then if the truck will come with a cool Mounty hat?
Old 02-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #31
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu View Post

How many workers work in the Boeing plant? Are they almost near dead?
Well, the ones in South Carolina aren't, that's for sure.

If you travel and work in countries around the world it's hard not to see that the work ethic in the US (in general, there are certainly plenty of exceptions) is sinking fairly rapidly.

This is certainly the case in the auto industry. BMW set up a fantastic plant in South Carolina to build the X3 and the X5 but...... it's highly automated and the cost of the labor force is far less than the cost of a similar labor force in Germany. So between not needing a large workforce and the workforce they do need being comparatively cheap, it was a very smart move for them and the South Carolina plant consistently outperforms the company's other X3/X5 plant in Germany. This is not my theory, by the way. It's what the CEO of BMW America told me.

He also had nice things to say about the attitude of his South Carolina workforce which he said is much different than what he has observed and encountered in other parts of the country. BMW's experience in South Carolina was a factor in Boeing's decision to expand there. As was Michelin's but we did not visit their facilities or talk to their managers.

America has excelled in the service industries, the "do you want fries with that" jobs. This is something that I have found is not done nearly as well in other countries, particularly in Asia, but I don't know why.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #32
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

I try but most stuff in Canada costs way too much money. Some years ago I noted a brand name Irish sport coat in Dublin was about 50% more than the same coat in the US. Price out an Acura MDX made in Canada vs the same unit shipped into the US. Or, as I saw last week, in Canada gas at the pump going for $1.15 per litre vs $2.85 per gallon at the station near my home in Utah. The answer of course is in country taxes.

Some years ago I was so proud of my new US made Suburban, until I crawled under it and saw a sticker on the bumper that said Assembled in Mexico.

Buying made in the US or Canada is as noted by others, a guessing game as to country of origin.

An article caught my eyes some years ago where BMWs made at a spiffy new US factory had fewer defects than the same model assembled in Germany. Ditto the Mercedes M. And if one believes Consumer Retorts, buying any German car is a path to maintenance yipes. I noted the same when I switched from German to Japanese builds.

Marin, your new Ford PU - is it a diesel?
I've had only Mercedes for the past 15 years & a couple are still in the family with the oldest being 21 yrs old & still a daily driver.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #33
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
=beachbum29;1I've had only Mercedes for the past 15 years & a couple are still in the family with the oldest being 21 yrs old & still a daily driver."

Ditto. 'Rommel' is 17 years old, I just wish my sister would stop asking if it is a diesel though(it's not)
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #34

Marin re post #23 at one time the BIG three prefered to make their top of the line luxury models in Canada because of a higher build quality, not to sure if that still stands.My 2009 GMC is Mexican assembled and seems just fine, although the parts come from the same assy line the USA and Canadian assembled trucks use, maybe its where the automated robots are built that matters now, who knows.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #35
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
=beachbum29;1I've had only Mercedes for the past 15 years & a couple are still in the family with the oldest being 21 yrs old & still a daily driver."

Ditto. 'Rommel' is 17 years old, I just wish my sister would stop asking if it is a diesel though(it's not)
We call our e320, "goldy locks"...
Old 02-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #36

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Hmmm. Here in Brazil a Chevrolet is a Suzuki or an Opel, a fiat is something nobody know of in Europe. I not even try to buy European because import is crazy taxed.
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #37
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Hmmmm... I wonder then if the truck will come with a cool Mounty hat?
At one time, ten or so years ago, the RCMP contracted their marketing to Disney for five years to regain control of their image. Might have gotten a hat then.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #38

I am afraid the boys in red serge have shoot their own image badly enough that a mouse might not be of help them.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #39
FF
Guru

and is now exactly 30 years old

You might have been a year early!

Ford claims the next F 150 will be aluminum , should last lots more than just 30 years
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

My 1973 Land Rover and our Range Rover have aluminum body panels. But this got started because steel was very hard to come by in England after the war and the car companies were allocated steel based on the volume of their exports.

So Rover conceived the Land Rover to be an export farm vehicle so they could raise their steel allotment for their car lines. They built the Land Rover body out of aluminum so as not to bite into their steel allotment.

Aluminum proved to have other advantages so they stayed with it when they designed the Range Rover which came out in 1969.

The downside is that aluminum is very soft compared to steel and an aluminum-bodied vehicle gets dents if you look at it too hard. I would not want a pickup made of it, or at least not the bed. You can use thick aluminum but then you sort of defeat the purpose of using aluminum in the first place.