Buy a car from a vending machine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
Recently I've seen more and more ads on TV about companies wanting to sell you a car online. Carvana temps you with its car vending machine and offers to buy your car from you, all while you enjoy surfing online at home.

This whole scheme seems to be aimed at Millennials. That's the age group they show in their ads. People lying around in their pajamas with their laptop in front of them. They all seem so happy and pleased to be able to buy a car from the comfort of their own home.

My question to you is, would you buy a car online?

Not me.

I want to see, feel, touch, drive.

With production cars I know its kind of irrational when you are looking at new or less than four years old used, as the models and trim are pretty much standard.

But still. Kicking the tires and looking the seller in the eye still make me more comfortable when shelling out tens of thousands.

Actually I have bought 4 (new and used) cars via email & phone conversations. Negotiated price for an exact match of make, model, trim I was looking for. All subject to inspection & test drive.
I find it much easier and less frustrating than the usual show room / sales person games. I don't waste a lot of time with those that aren't reasonable with their prices and they don't have me captive in their office to play games.

I have also sold a used vehicle online via phone call and photos. Buyer was out of state and arranged for a shipper to pick it up after the funds were wired to my account.
Sounds like a typical scammer but this one was on the up and up.

Agree above are not the norm but online does have some advantages finding what you want without spending hours / days searching.

Actually I have bought 4 (new and used) cars via email & phone conversations. Negotiated price for an exact match of make, model, trim I was looking for. All subject to inspection & test drive.
I find it much easier and less frustrating than the usual show room / sales person games. I don't waste a lot of time with those that aren't reasonable with their prices and they don't have me captive in their office to play games.

I have also sold a used vehicle online via phone call and photos. Buyer was out of state and arranged for a shipper to pick it up after the funds were wired to my account.
Sounds like a typical scammer but this one was on the up and up.

Agree above are not the norm but online does have some advantages finding what you want without spending hours / days searching.

Yes, but as you say all subject to inspection and test drive. Where you see the vehicle, drive it, and meet the seller face to face.

The OP is talking about buying a vehicle, dropped off at your door, and it is yours! Done deal!

I bought a car from Carvana a few months ago. Didn't have time to fudge around with dealers, salesmen, etc. Tried the internet way and have to say, I'm a fan. I knew what I wanted (Honda pilot). Went shopping at 2 dealerships and did the dance. Drove a couple of pilots and liked them. But couldn't stand the sales game.

So I found what I liked, went to Carvana. Found a nice one with 7k miles on it. Saved 6k over my best dealer offer. Picked it up and had 7 days to drive it and return it if it wasn't the one for me. I'll do it again.

I’m on my second Ford Expedition and will probably buy a third someday. I hate dealing with car salesmen. They are just Yacht Brokers who can’t afford Topsiders. ��

I wouldn’t mind buying on line except I worry the local dealer’s service department won’t treat me as well as someone who bought the car there. Is that a real concern?

Hopcar
My experience so far has been good with service.
I have always tried to give my local shop and sales guy I've dealt with a shot at pricing a similar one for me and they respond they can't meet the price.
These days service in most dealership is a separate profit center and anxious for any / all work. I try to get to know the service folks and they have been accomodating.

A good friend of mine who is over 65 just used Carvana and said he will never use anything else he was so impressed. His last car was a used fleet rental and thought that was also great, but not as good.

My experience with conventional buying has been hot or miss, now I tend towards slightly used so Carvana may be tempting.

I have been buying all of my vehicles from the same dealership and salesman for the last 10 years. He knows that when I call I'm buying as long as he can get what I want for a good price. The last 3 vehicles I have bought from him he has picked up my trade in and dropped off the new vehicle at my office. All of the paperwork was done at my office.

The newer the car the less likely it was abused and what not. Cars aren't getting cheaper. Who wants to spend 30, 40 or even in some cases 60k on a car and find out that it was not cared for. There is no replacement for seeing it first hand. For me a smoked in vehicle is a no start. I have had people tell me it hasn't been smoked in only to find out it was (very easily discovered). I expect normal wear but we all treat our cars differently. No different than any other large expense, if you view it as disposable or a point A to B thing than who cares. But if you view it as something long term, in my case another office, or something to retain and enjoy than buying online may not be for everyone. I typically will look at cars with less than 20k as potential online purchase subject to inspection. I don't however, want to go through the paperwork first hand. Of course I broke that rule when I bought my wife's BMW.

I bought a new Infiniti G35x several years ago over the phone from the dealer in Sacramento. He had the car I wanted, optioned the way I wanted and he sold it to me at invoice. After faxing a few docs back and forth I wired the money to him. He arranged for shipment of the car to me on a convoy truck and it arrived about 5 days later in perfect condition. It was a surprise Christmas present for her and she loved it.

I wouldn't buy a used car without first driving it, looking it over and negotiating the price. Car dealers don't like the way I negotiate but it works for me. Same thing with boat brokers. They don't like me either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom