Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Boeing Prepares the 787-9 Dreamliner for the 2015 Paris Air Show

Just caught this amazing video on Bing.

Boeing Prepares the 787-9 Dreamliner for the 2015 Paris Air Show - Bing Videos

Marin, is some of your fine work?

Old 06-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
No, and actually the flying isn't anywhere near as impressive as it looks in the video. In fact other than the rotation and short initial climb, the flying is very, very tame. The airshows have succumbed to nanny-state mentality and bank angles, speeds, and attitudes are now strictly limited.

We used to do extreme takeoffs in the 757 out of Boeing Field in which the chief program pilot (John Armstrong) would rotate the plane to an angle more extreme than that used in the 787 video and then hold that attitude clear on up to 20,000 feet before leveling off. I flew with John in the prototype 757 when he would take it to a 90 degree angle of bank and than snap it back to 90 degrees the other way. These things were just for fun, it was not part of any testing. It was quite a ride.

While the 757 is a rocket compared to the 787, the 787 is fully capable of these same maneuvers. In fact, all our planes can do these maneuvers as well as be barrel-rolled like Tex Johnson did with the Dash-80--- it's a 1G maneuver and the plane and its occupants don't even know they're upside down.This kind of flying is not done these days purely because of "safety" concerns imposed by people who know nothing about flying an airplane.

The air-to-air footage of the Paris Airshow practice flight was shot by WolfeAiir using a gyro mount on a helicopter. One of our cameraman. Jim Lally, shot the ground footage. The video was shot in 4K resolution. The editing was done by Inhance.

Actually, we think the video that was shot last year of the same practice flight for the Farnborough Airshow is far better than this year's in terms of the angles and editing.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
While the takeoff was impressive, I prefer level flight when I'm a passenger and not the pilot.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Tampa
Sweet video.
Would have loved a better (ground level maybe?) view of the roll and climb out though.
Looked pretty steep.
Marin, what would you say the angle on that was?
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
Marin, what would you say the angle on that was?
I have no idea. However when viewed from the side it is not nearly as steep as they made it look with the camera angle from the helicopter. I would be surprised if it was much more than 45 degrees and possibly even less but that's just a rough guess. They reduced angle pretty quick so they might have zoomed it up fairly steep for a few seconds. The airshows have restrictions on the maneuvers that can be performed at the show but I don't know what they are for a takeoff.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #6
Guru

City: Tampa
Thanks
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Duty View Post
Thanks
I've sent an e-mail to a friend who's the chief pilot for the Everett flight line (777, 787, 747-8,) asking him what the takeoff angle might have been for that airshow flight. Assuming it's information cleared for public release I'll post what I learn.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #8
FF
Guru

"The airshows have succumbed to nanny-state mentality and bank angles, speeds, and attitudes are now strictly limited.

This kind of flying is not done these days purely because of "safety" concerns imposed by people who know nothing about flying an airplane.'

The problem is some aircraft (Airbust) have flight "protection" that has crashed aircraft multiple times at air shows.

Einstein had something to say about doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Guess it didn't translate into French test pilot speak..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Available engine thrust is about 1/3 of light ship weight. If you get some good speed up before rotating, you could go vertical for a bit of the climb.

Hard to tell the actual angle from the chopper vid. I watched it several times and could not get confident of the angle. Not much to reference.

Pretty bird, indeed. Wings seem sooo slight.

Strange something so modern still has rivet divets all over cockpit window frames.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

I just heard from my friend who is the Chief Pilot for the Everett flightline. His previous position was Assistant Chief Production Pilot for the 787 program. He told me the takeoff angle that was used for the Paris Airshow demo flight (and will be used for the demo flight itself) was 40 degrees.

The helicopter position and lens focal length made it look a lot steeper than that.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:21 AM   #11
Guru

I`m just hoping VN is replacing the tired and worn 777s.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote