Old 04-08-2019, 10:36 PM   #301
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by LN-RTP View Post
Here we go again: This whole thread is in hindsight.
And that is where you and I disagree on this entrie thread. You look back in hindsight. I look at the resources available at the time.

Do you remember up until about 20 years ago....the cause of every single aircraft accident?????

Remember????

It was the aircarft impacting the earth!!! Every single accident report had as the cause of the accident: "Aircarft impacting terrain/earth"!!!

What good does that do for us looking to learn from the mistakes that were made. That is where you are in all of this....looking back in hindsight. Aircraft impacting the terrain... Screw hindsight. Put yourself in their position with the resources they had available at that time and then talk to me. That is where the learning takes place. Not looking down your nose in hindsight.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:53 PM   #302
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
And that is where you and I disagree on this entrie thread. You look back in hindsight. I look at the resources available at the time. ...................Screw hindsight. Put yourself in their position with the resources they had available at that time and then talk to me. That is where the learning takes place. Not looking down your nose in hindsight.
Baker, you nailed it again. How many times will it take?
"None so blind as those who will not see"
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:03 AM   #303
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Are there air speed restrictions on doing that?

And of course it presumes the pilots understand the operation of MCAS and know that will disable it.
Overspeeding the flaps is going to do a whole lot less damage than impacting terrain.

It would also put the electric trim in high speed mode which should help get the trim back where it belongs quicker.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:38 AM   #304
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Here we go again: This whole thread is in hindsight.
Nowhere did I reference a procedure or bulletin advising to lower flaps, you are reading into stuff that is not there: Again: It is not procedure, nor did I say it was, jeez..

Somebody was asking how to deactivate or turn of the MCAS system:
The answer is flaps or autopilot. (It has already been mentioned before several times, but maybe some folks did not read the whole thread. Flaps or Autopilot, it is a fact, NOT a procedure, jeez again )

Wow, chill.

We now all know that engaging AP or applying flaps disables MCAS. But that's now. So those are great candidates for new procedures, and improved training on the operation of MCAS. But Baker's point is that neither of these facts were widely known or communicated, so there is no reason to think the pilots knew about either of these remedies - or perhaps they would have tried them, and perhaps they would have all survived. The published and trained remedy was trim cutout, and that's what they did. Your own posted bulletin shows this, i.e. no reference to flaps or AP as alternate methods of overriding uncommanded trim down.

So yes, in this discussion it's hard to distinguish whether one's comments are from the perspective of what the pilots knew at the time, or what we know now. What they knew then is great for analysis. What we know now helps sort our remedial actions and improvements.

As an example, my earlier comments about things the pilots could have done differently was looking at future procedures with the benefit of what we know now. It wasn't meant to scold or blame the pilots. We could all be clearer about this. I sure wasn't, and some took it as throwing the pilots under the bus.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:46 AM   #305
Guru

Looking back at the pilot's actions, and understanding what they knew at the time about the aircraft and it's operational behavior, it seems they did everything right, except for one thing. They lost track of air speed. They remained at near full power the whole time, and speed got way ahead of them, and made it harder and harder to control the plane with the tools available.

Should they have throttled back? I realize that when the shirt's hitting the fan, it's easy to lose track of the things that are working, like the engines. You become hyper focused on the problem at hand.

And to be clear, I'm not trying to blame, just trying to analyze.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #306
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Overspeeding the flaps is going to do a whole lot less damage than impacting terrain.

It would also put the electric trim in high speed mode which should help get the trim back where it belongs quicker.

So applying flaps or getting AP activated are two additional tools available to lockout MCAS, yet retain electric trim control. There is no reason either of these were known to the pilots at the time, but leveraging what we know now, either of these could have helped. Right?

Interestingly, activating AP is taking trim control away from one automation device and handing it over to another. So if you think automation is failing because of bad input sensors or whatever, switching to another automation device may not be your first choice. And as we have learned, the plane needs to be trim and stable for the AP to accept control anyway, so might not be possible to engage if you are playing tug of war with MCAS.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #307
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
IMO, this discussion is not about solving the problem and providing a solution that all pilots should use whenever the MCAS acts up. It is a discussion on a particular aircraft system, a particular aircraft, and speculation on what might have been done to resolve the issue. It is an intellectual exercise and AFAIK, no one has tasked this forum with developing a solution to the problem.

Finally, if the plane is heading towards the ground and the procedure isn't working, it might be time to try something else.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #308
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Geeze,

After this discussion, I'm never flying again. Heck, I'm now afraid to even drive to the airport.... <g>

However, a few things we have clearly learned......

The pilots are NOT the blame for this accident. They weren't trained for this situation and didn't have the knowledge of even the existence of the MCAS, so how the heck could they fight it?

Another thing..... when faced with a deadly situation and nothing is working, the "helmet fire" mentality rapidly comes in. In some cases, someone SO focused could have their arm cut off and they would never know it.

We all have a different way of dealing with helmet fires, and the absolutely BEST way is to be trained to avoid them. Had the pilots attended a simulator session where this same scenario was played out, with the solution at hand, this would have been a minor inconvenience and a log book write up.

Now, there really are a few exceptional people that can really think outside the box, and probably figure this one out as it unfolds, but the average airline pilot does not have the training and the mental capacity to do this.

One solution I'd like to see is more basic stick and rudder training and the ability to shut down EVERYTHING in the plane and fly needle ball and airspeed, which has been proven to work since the Wright Brothers.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #309

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Name: Odin
Vessel Model: Albin 28TE
Quote:
And that is where you and I disagree on this entrie thread. You look back in hindsight. I look at the resources available at the time.

Do you remember up until about 20 years ago....the cause of every single aircraft accident?????

Remember????

It was the aircarft impacting the earth!!! Every single accident report had as the cause of the accident: "Aircarft impacting terrain/earth"!!!

What good does that do for us looking to learn from the mistakes that were made. That is where you are in all of this....looking back in hindsight. Aircraft impacting the terrain... Screw hindsight. Put yourself in their position with the resources they had available at that time and then talk to me. That is where the learning takes place. Not looking down your nose in hindsight.
I look at all these accidents to learn from them, not looking down my nose in hindsight

As for “aircraft impacting earth”, no idea where that came from, your kind of an accident report?
I am looking for “Probable Cause” and there is more to that than hitting the ground at high speed.
Trying to learn something from every accident hence I study them i detail.
I could pick up the phone tomorrow and get a job as a 737 MAX Captain for your Airline, naturally I want to know what the hell happened in these accidents.
(Doubt I will go back, but I have the option, hence I am interested.)
As I have said earlier: I am hoping to do better in an emergency, but you never know, gaining detailed information and looking at every “what if this” and “what if that” may prepare every pilot for a big surprise, instead of being overwhelmed by bells and whistles going haywire.
Both these MAX airplanes that crashed were sick, but not crippled, they were flyable.
That is my whole point.
LN-RTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #310

Quote:
. The pilots are NOT the blame for this accident. They weren't trained for this situation and didn't have the knowledge of even the existence of the MCAS, so how the heck could they fight it?
Nobody has been “blaming” the pilots, but the information on the high profile Lion Air accident 5 months prior was communicated to Ethiopian Airlines.
Perhaps they forgot to inform their MAX pilots of the details and perhaps they forgot to incorporate the details in the training and the recurrent program?
If so, somebody did not do their job and should be held responsible.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #311

Quote:
. So applying flaps or getting AP activated are two additional tools available to lockout MCAS, yet retain electric trim control. There is no reason either of these were known to the pilots at the time, but leveraging what we know now, either of these could have helped. Right?
Yes, flaps and autopilot will nullify the big bad wolf MCAS, but there may be a third option: Applying Electric Trim the opposite direction. (MCAS will always trim nose down to un-load the wing and “prevent” a stall.)
The above Boeing bulletin mentions opposite trim, but MCAS will go active again in 5 seconds, time to shut off the Stab Trim Cutout switches then.
I seem to remember some older airplanes with a “stick pusher”, T-tail planes like the DC-9 and perhaps some other types: If you got close to a stall, the stick would push the elevator down (and nose down) same as The MCAS.
Never flew the 9, don’t know if they relied on a singe sensor or not, but seem to remember a DC-9 Crash due to a false stall warning on rotation, possible SAS airlines. Also seem to remember a TWA 1011 crash at JFK due to a false stall warning.
History tends to repeat itself..
Old 04-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #312

LN...I am assuming you have been in this business for awhile??? "Impact with the terrain" used to be the cause of every single crash....per the NTSB...up until about 20 years ago. It really was not that helpful of a cause.....granted the added "probable causes" which were really the cause...
Old 04-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #313

Quote:
LN...I am assuming you have been in this business for awhile??? "Impact with the terrain" used to be the cause of every single crash....per the NTSB...up until about 20 years ago. It really was not that helpful of a cause.....granted the added "probable causes" which were really the cause...
Been in the business for a while, flew 37 years with a Commercial Pilots License, and an ATP. Started this sport flying bush planes in Alaska, including hauling fish of the beaches with a DC-3. No autopilot or autosh!t going on, just a good old hand flying airplane. Also Twin Otters and other basic craft. Had over 5000 hours before I climbed into a jet. Guess I am a late bloomer, or lucky to learn the hard way.
Flew Captain on B-747s for 8 years as well, including all over Africa, Russia, China and South America between the mountains with heavy cargo and primitive ATC as well as shitty maintenance. Did my best to survive and lucky to be sitting in my Florida back yard drinking beer and tinkering with my boat.
Not “blaming” these poor Ethiopian pilots, they were overwhelmed, just saying the airplane was perfectly flyable if somebody would pull the power back, or do a few other things. (But can’t say that)
I will leave it at that..
Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #314
Guru

Quote:
Nobody has been “blaming” the pilots, but the information on the high profile Lion Air accident 5 months prior was communicated to Ethiopian Airlines.
Perhaps they forgot to inform their MAX pilots of the details and perhaps they forgot to incorporate the details in the training and the recurrent program?
If so, somebody did not do their job and should be held responsible.
LN,

Read back thru the thread, there's been a few referenced to blaming the pilots.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #315
Guru

Quote:
Been in the business for a while, flew 37 years with a Commercial Pilots License, and an ATP. Started this sport flying bush planes in Alaska, including hauling fish of the beaches with a DC-3. No autopilot or autosh!t going on, just a good old hand flying airplane. Also Twin Otters and other basic craft. Had over 5000 hours before I climbed into a jet. Guess I am a late bloomer, or lucky to learn the hard way.
Flew Captain on B-747s for 8 years as well, including all over Africa, Russia, China and South America between the mountains with heavy cargo and primitive ATC as well as shitty maintenance. Did my best to survive and lucky to be sitting in my Florida back yard drinking beer and tinkering with my boat.
Not “blaming” these poor Ethiopian pilots, they were overwhelmed, just saying the airplane was perfectly flyable if somebody would pull the power back, or do a few other things. (But can’t say that)
I will leave it at that..:face palm:

Did you fly for Connie?

And where in Florida, you could be my neighbor? (I'm in St. Pete)
Old 04-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #316

Quote:
. Did you fly for Connie?

And where in Florida, you could be my neighbor? (I'm in St. Pete)
No, never flew for Connie.
Evergreen, Tower Air, Kuwait Airways and Tradewinds Airlines. (Those are just my 747 gigs)
Worked for a bunch of other firms as well, including the smallest and the biggest airline in the world and bush operators in Alaska and the Caribbean.
(Lived on a sailboat in the islands and when one company went tits up, I sailed to the next island, put the anchor down and rowed to shore with a resume in my pocket, good old days)
Old 04-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #317

Quote:
. Read back thru the thread, there's been a few referenced to blaming the pilots.
I was talking about me, as in third person.
I did not blame them, just saying the airplane was not 100% crippled, flyable for sure. Not sure why folks are arguing that point..
Old 04-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #318
Guru

Quote:
I was talking about me, as in third person.
I did not blame them, just saying the airplane was not 100% crippled, flyable for sure. Not sure why folks are arguing that point..
I don't believe anyone accuse you of blaming the pilots. However, the plane "may" have been flyable with the information we know today, but may not have been flyable with the information the pilots had at the time. There's LOTS of crashes with crippled planes that "may have flown to safety" if the crew knew more about the plane and the situation.

I can't blame a pilot if his training hasn't provided for a scenario that will bring the plane down.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #319

Quote:
I could pick up the phone tomorrow and get a job as a 737 MAX Captain for your Airline...
If you don't already work for my airline(with the seniority to hold captain), then that is not the way it works. We don't hire "street captains".

And no one is arguing that the airplane was flyable. But stating so just doesn't add much to the discussion. It is an important factor obviously. We are here to discuss why these guys crashed(a flyable airplane).
Old 04-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #320

Quote:
. If you don't already work for my airline(with the seniority to hold captain), then that is not the way it works. We don't hire "street captains".
No shit, but it looks like we work for the same firm.