Boat therapy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scout

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Scout
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
Yesterday was not a good day dealing with a local government agency. It should have been simple, but simple became unfathomable. But enough of that. Afterward, I headed down to my boat. Just as I arrived a bit of sun appeared. I stepped into the cabin and I immediately felt better. A little rocking in the wind, nicely polished teak, memories of good times. What problems? I'm on my boat! I just sat down and relaxed, watched a few boats go by, read a bit, and went home feeling fine. Nothing like boat therapy.

I'm not always good at 'switching off' when i'm on the boat. I always feel like I need to be tinkering with something. If I'm not tinkering, I'm thinking about some way to make it better. I suppose that kind of thing is sort of therapeutic in it's own way, too.

On the odd days when I am able to cool my jets, it really is amazing how relaxing a boat can be. All the sunshine and fresh air, the sound of the water lapping at the hull, some gentle rocking. It's enough to turn you into a puddle of goo. Honestly, who needs drugs??

Always has been like that for me. When I was a kid, getting on the boat, getting out on the water was my escape. All life's problems went away. Away from school, away from parents.

In college it continued and once I started work, it was always the one place I could get away from everything. Smaller boats seem to work better at this but wind in my face, just on the water. Always heaven. When I met my wife she found it did the same for her. We could tell when one of us had a bad day as the first thing they said when getting home was "let's go out in the boat."

Out lives are very relaxed now, but it's funny how there's still a difference between sitting in the back yard looking out on the water and actually being on a boat. I think I've figured out it's my "teddy bear", my "blankie". I think a lot of it goes back to it being my place of escape and happiness as a kid.

Always has been like that for me. When I was a kid, getting on the boat, getting out on the water was my escape. All life's problems went away. Away from school, away from parents.

My "school" was on the boat. Couldn't get away, except in my dinghy and I did that regularly. It had everything required:

1. dive mask and fins
  2. spare cotter pin (can you tell I owned a Seagull?)
  3. fishing pole
  4. zippo lighter
  5. bailer
  6. anchor
  7. water
  8. peanut butter sandwich
  9. my hat (always on, totally dispreputable) Ugly thing it was.
  10. Plus a book about seashells and fish (waterproof)

But school was afloat, and usually wearing a bathing suit. It was a Rough Life but somehow I managed. (said while laughing) And yes, I know I was blessed... still am for that matter.

I feel the same way when I step aboard and cast off the lines. It's a mental retreat and a time of relaxing, fishing, tinkering, or just doing nothing...whatever feels right for the day and time. Just returned from a week aboard and am heading back out tomorrow if everything goes according to plan. We're very blessed to be able to live our dreams.

img_331578_0_411716a68ba51a1514368fdf70327e70.jpg

I feel the same way when I step aboard and cast off the lines. It's a mental retreat and a time of relaxing, fishing, tinkering, or just doing nothing...whatever feels right for the day and time. Just returned from a week aboard and am heading back out tomorrow if everything goes according to plan. We're very blessed to be able to live our dreams.

Indeed we are.

Back
Top Bottom