Old 09-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #21

City: Edmonds
If I were a broker I wouldn't spend my valuable time with you. Buying in late 2015? That's a year from now! I could find the perfect boat for you this month, and while we wait for eleven months someone else buys it and I am SOL.

Put a nicer way, you should do your own homework and find the make and style of boat that works for you. Cruise yachtworld. Go boating with friends. Walk the docks. If you are really serious about having a broker do your homework, give a good broker five grand, non-refundable, and have him hunt for you. If you won't do that then you are wasting everyone's time.

Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster_in_edmonds View Post
Put a nicer way, you should do your own homework and find the make and style of boat that works for you. Cruise yachtworld. Go boating with friends. Walk the docks.
Well put. A little bit of real effort seems a modest suggestion.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #23
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I think that Hatteras 48/58/65LRC's have enough head room. Large heads as well.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #24

City: Washington, DC
Vessel Name: Starside
Vessel Model: 1930 Elco Marinette
I had trouble finding brokers who would take me seriously. I wanted a rare antique vessel, plus I'm a woman. I'd usually get interest via email when I inquired, but once they spoke to me, everything went quiet. Even when I showed up to look at a boat, they'd pepper me with questions and actually tried to talk me out of buying an antique. Granted, wooden boats are cheaper than the boats you are looking at, but still -- most of these brokers only dealt with woodies, so it made no sense to me. I couldn't help but to think that I was negatively judged.

But I never gave up and you shouldn't either. My first broker only showed me his listings, so I left him. The other broker spent all of his time telling me I'm making a huge mistake in buying a wooden boat...

After that, I just found boats on line (through Yachtworld, etc.), and then I'd schedule an appointment with the seller's broker. Since they already had a vested interest in selling the boat, they were willing to show me the boat even though I didn't have a broker representing me. It worked out for me that way.

What's cool about doing it this way is that (a) you get to see a lot of boats, which in turn will show you what you DON'T want, and (b) when you do find the boat (it took me over a year to find her), you'll know -- and then in my case, I just used the seller's broker but hired a full survey and got advice from the surveyor on what I should offer vs. asking price.

It's not the best situation, but it keeps you looking at boats.

Go to boat shows, too -- that's a good way to see a lot of boats in person, and again, part of the process is finding the boat style that suits you. I originally thought I wanted a 40' boat, but after seeing them in person, I kept getting smaller and smaller...my boat I got is only 27' and yet she's the perfect pocket cruiser for me. But it was that determination and all the leg work I put into looking at boats through on-line sites that helped me find her. You'll find your boat, too.
Starside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #25
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster_in_edmonds View Post
If I were a broker I wouldn't spend my valuable time with you. Buying in late 2015? That's a year from now! I could find the perfect boat for you this month, and while we wait for eleven months someone else buys it and I am SOL.

Put a nicer way, you should do your own homework and find the make and style of boat that works for you. Cruise yachtworld. Go boating with friends. Walk the docks. If you are really serious about having a broker do your homework, give a good broker five grand, non-refundable, and have him hunt for you. If you won't do that then you are wasting everyone's time.
Well said. And on the topic of wasting TIME, and a brokers gas too! IF you have a health issue such as bad knee's- don't go wasting time looking at boats counting steps with the hope of finding a boat that has none. ALL boats with exception of pontoon boats (and you still have to get on and off them too!) have them. And it's a total no brainer- FOR PILOTHOUSE designed boats. You can see steps in the photos, so unless you can levitate..... Then after finding your dream boat (the ONLY late model one on the entire east coast) you want to buy- saying "well, if my knee's get better in the next 60 day's- I'm gonna buy this one". A. It will be sold in 60 days, so why the hurry to see it now?! B. Unless you get knee replacements- they aren't going to heal themselves.

Damn, I miss my 'Down Under' clients!!!! who just say "no worries mate", and buy, so damn the US dollar for being so strong now. Yes- this was a rant.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #26
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
Damn, I miss my 'Down Under' clients!!!! who just say "no worries mate", and buy, so damn the US dollar for being so strong now. Yes- this was a rant.
Ah yes, the $. Its down over 20% and still sinking. It was a once in a generation period for us to buy as it was coupled with the US market being weak. For lots of us who knew it, and knew it wouldn't last, the imperative was to move fairly quickly. Don't hold your breath for those conditions to return anytime soon.

At 6'1" I'm not that tall, and now generally get through the the two problematic doorways I have on board ok, if in bare feet which I normally am. But if wearing shoes I still often hit my head. Obviously I have subconsciously adjusted to clearing the doorway, but with not much room to spare. You can get used to it. Otherwise you fix it.

For BigJim I think raising the roof will be the answer, or an old workboat conversion. But its still worth wearing out some shoe leather getting on board as many possibilities as you can so that when the time comes to do the GA for the conversion you get it mostly right first time.