Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #21

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Lesson for all us be aware at All times of boats and activities around your own boat ....take action accordingly...on hard and at dock. Stay safe.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #22
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Feel sorry for an arsonist? NO WAY IN HELL.
I agree. He chose to take the risk, and got -- literally -- burned. If you don't want to end up in a burn ward, don't go around burning other peoples' property!
Old 02-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
This doesn't make sense. Three guys to burn one boat and in the process catch themselves on fire that badly?

I'm guessing attempted gasoline theft that went awry. I've had to ask people at gas pumps to please extinguish their cigarettes dozens of times.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I'll take the opposing view of sympathy for the horrible suffering and loss of a young man. He's either going to have a long period of pain and suffering or he's going to die. I don't see either as a fit punishment for the crime. I can't look at it that way. I look at a human being who he or others made an incredible mistake in the process of an, at this point, alleged crime. Likely a move of desperation to start with. It's not just the three of them suffering either as I'm sure there is family having to see it.

I see this as a tragic accident and I have sympathy for those involved and their families. I also feel for those who lost their boats but those are material things, not life and death or health or limb.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
B & B is right. Far too much schadenfreude on this thread.
Apologies for taking a word from another language but there is no English language word for it. And rightly so, broadly it means "deriving pleasure from the misfortunes of others".
Old 02-14-2019, 04:49 PM   #26
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I am not sure most of the others are getting pleasure as much as just stating no sympathy is warranted.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #27
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
B & B is right. Far too much schadenfreude on this thread.
Apologies for taking a word from another language but there is no English language word for it. And rightly so, broadly it means "deriving pleasure from the misfortunes of others".
No need to apologize. Every culture 'import' words from other culture.
More than a few years ago, a highly placed French official, complained the French citizens were 'importing' too many English words.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #28
Guru

City: Boston Area
I hope the police will be going after the boat owner who hired them as well. Insurance fraud is not a victim-less crime. Everyone pays for it!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:26 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I hope the police will be going after the boat owner who hired them as well. Insurance fraud is not a victim-less crime. Everyone pays for it!
And do you know that's what happened? Sounds possible but so do other possibilities.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #30
Guru

Not with any certainty, but the arsonists must have had a reason, and the owner had been trying, unsucessfully, to sell the boat for a while......

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck......
Old 02-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #31
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Not with any certainty, but the arsonists must have had a reason, and the owner had been trying, unsucessfully, to sell the boat for a while......

I bet he doesn't smell as good as roast duck!

Unless it was a accident by total morons ( not likely ) he got what was coming to him.

If it was vandalism, or hired arson he got what was coming to him. Lets not forget that innocent bystanders and first respondents have died at the hands of Arsonists.
I dont buy that in our society someone has to turn to crime to be able to live.

HOLLYWOOD
Old 02-14-2019, 10:17 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post

Perhaps a better option would be to put a bullet between his eyes to be sure he never does this again. Amen.
So, comfortable with the extra judicial killing proposal? Followed of course by the traditional ending to Christian prayer?
Old 02-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #33
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
So, comfortable with the extra judicial killing proposal? Followed of course by the traditional ending to Christian prayer?

Amen

HOLLYWOOD
Old 02-14-2019, 11:41 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:

Time will tell, but could just as easily be people who hated the owner, had a grudge, or were paid by someone else. In time the facts will come out and may be exactly as you suspect.

I once knew of a guy who everyone around knew was a crook, including his brother who I knew well. The guy had a large business and one night it burned to the ground as the entire building was covered in gasoline. Total loss. Had to be him for insurance. Only one flaw in that assumption. He had no insurance. Now everyone still figured he knew who had it done and it was someone he'd made enemies of, but they never found the actual arsonists or who paid them. He always said he had no idea. Far more likely is he screwed someone in some illegal transaction and they got revenge but he wasn't going to confess to his crime to help catch the arsonists. It could be though that he had no idea. He stuck to his story, even to both of his brothers.

There was one case in Tennessee where a guy was about to lose his house through foreclosure and it burned. Turned out the reason the guy had his financial problems was gambling and the arsonists were sent by his bookie. The bookie didn't care or realize that he was actually helping the guy. Unfortunately for him the arsonists weren't very smart and quickly flipped.

I want to see anyone involved in the crime arrested and imprisoned. I still feel great sadness over hearing how the one man was burned. I am glad no innocent bystanders were hurt.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:50 PM   #35
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
I've absolutely no sympathy whatsoever for these 3 apologies for men, let it be a lesson to others.

Honi Soit Q Mal Y Pense. (Evil be to others, who evil think).
Inscription on every artillery piece in the British Army.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:26 AM   #36
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Personally I have no sympathy for the arsonist. He got a big karmic payback. I happen to think that if the perpetrators of crimes were punished in kind with the crime they committed (like this guy), there would be a whole lot less crime in this country.

However, a crime punishment system like that would be very hard to implement and would lead to some very slippery slopes.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:01 AM   #37
Guru

For the guys who have no sympathy for the arsonist...

How would you feel if he was caught and not injurred and a judge sentenced him to 3 months confinement in bed and amputation of his hands and feet ?

You wouldn't find that a little extreme ?
Old 02-15-2019, 05:09 AM   #38
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
For the guys who have no sympathy for the arsonist...

How would you feel if he was caught and not injurred and a judge sentenced him to 3 months confinement in bed and amputation of his hands and feet ?

You wouldn't find that a little extreme ?
Completely different.....

I wouldn't have sympathy if the judge sentence choices were, 5 years hard labor or probation but you lose your hands and feet.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #39
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Completely different.....

I wouldn't have sympathy if the judge sentence choices were, 5 years hard labor or probation but you lose your hands and feet.
The sentence imposed on himself, by himself is extreme.
No follow up so I guess the guy died?
What about the other 2?

IF he lives, he will have to find a real friend to pick your nose.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #40
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't see either as a fit punishment for the crime.
I don't think it is a "fit punishment" for the crime either. But that doesn't mean that I feel sympathy for the criminal. Two different issues.

If you go out onto the foredeck in heavy seas, without a life jacket or harness to keep you on the boat, there is a very real possibility that you are going to fall overboard and drown. Do you DESERVE to drown? No, of course not. Drowning would not be a "fit punishment" for not wearing a life jacket. But you are taking a significant risk, and you have to accept the possibility that you will pay the price. It would be a tragedy for you to drown, but I'm not going to feel much sympathy -- after all, YOU made the choice to take the risk.

Same thing here. He took a risk. It back-fired on him. I can't feel any real sympathy for someone who does something dumb (especially when it is also criminal) and has to pay the price. That does not mean that I think he DESERVED what he got, but sometimes Karma slaps you down pretty hard.
Closed Thread