Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-10-2016, 06:07 AM   #1
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,524
Biker babes

Some really great shots of old bikes!


An Archive of Women who Ride | Messy Nessy Chic
__________________
Advertisement

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:40 AM   #2
Curmudgeon
 
BaltimoreLurker's Avatar
 
City: Stoney Creek, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,629
Good one, FF!
__________________

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #3
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Country: Bumpkin?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,995
Greetings,
Thanks FF. "Someone's mom"...Hahahaha. Try and explain THAT to your teenager.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #4
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,524
"Try and explain THAT to your teenager.'

Most kids think they got here by Immaculate Conception,

Not Dad poking fun at Mom.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
West's Avatar
 
City: Vancouver BC
Country: Salish Sea
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 302
Those are a bit better looking than today's she-bikers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dykes_on_Bikes
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Some really great shots of old bikes!


An Archive of Women who Ride | Messy Nessy Chic
Yeah, to the "old bikes."
Love it when there is a pic of someone lookin' all bikey like, then ya see the centre stand set firmly down.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:09 AM   #7
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,524
At least the old bikes were not designed for women , none had electric start.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #8
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Or mirrors.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:28 AM   #9
Guru
 
roguewave's Avatar
 
City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Country: Texas
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 610
Nice link, thanks FF. I rode yesterday, quite hard actually, spun it up to 150 or so
__________________
..."some gave all, KIA"...
roguewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
At least the old bikes were not designed for women , none had electric start.
I love this photo of Lawrence of Arabia taking delivery of a new Brough superior; no electric starter...!




__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:54 PM   #11
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,524
"no electric starter..."

Well there was always "run & bump" for the heros that weren't heavy enough to kick start.

Unlike todays garbage twins , that one looks like it actually has a muffler setup.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
West's Avatar
 
City: Vancouver BC
Country: Salish Sea
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 302
I had the pleasure of riding a Brough, don't know the year. Very quiet and somewhat slow. I almost had a hart attack when it stalled at a light. Luckily I was able to restart it and carry on.
I did like the way it handled into and out of a corner. Piece of art that would look great in any living room or den.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #13
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"no electric starter..."

Well there was always "run & bump" for the heros that weren't heavy enough to kick start.

Unlike todays garbage twins , that one looks like it actually has a muffler setup.
I had a ragtag bunch of British bikes over the years , and none of them strarted unless it was a warm summers day. ( ie: not very often in Ireland) of course they all had Magneto's which needed to be spun up to produce a decent spark which I why I always parked my bikes on the hill behind our farm!

Can anyone explain to me why its impossible to bump start a modern bike, the clutch seems to slip .

Are modern clutches different to old fashioned ones?







__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #14
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
I had the pleasure of riding a Brough, don't know the year. Very quiet and somewhat slow. I almost had a hart attack when it stalled at a light. Luckily I was able to restart it and carry on.
I did like the way it handled into and out of a corner. Piece of art that would look great in any living room or den.

Wow, very few people have ever ridden one!

I'm very interested to hear that they handled well. My oldest bike had a Norton frame from the early sixties, it went well too.

Do you think that a Brough could be used for everyday transport?
__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
West's Avatar
 
City: Vancouver BC
Country: Salish Sea
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
Wow, very few people have ever ridden one!
I'm very interested to hear that they handled well. My oldest bike had a Norton frame from the early sixties, it went well too.
Do you think that a Brough could be used for everyday transport?
This was some time ago, and I only had about an hour on it. A friend of mine collected vintage British bikes: Vincents, Nortons, BSA etc etc.

But to answer your question, NO to a daily driver. YES to a beautiful art piece in your den.

Being a somewhat light bike (I had a 83 Harley road king), it did handle well especially into a corner, as long as you have good/sticky Avon tires.

The Vincent Black Shadow was a much sportier bike, I also had the pleasure of taking that for a spin.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #16
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
This was some time ago, and I only had about an hour on it. A friend of mine collected vintage British bikes: Vincents, Nortons, BSA etc etc.

But to answer your question, NO to a daily driver. YES to a beautiful art piece in your den.

Being a somewhat light bike (I had a 83 Harley road king), it did handle well especially into a corner, as long as you have good/sticky Avon tires.

The Vincent Black Shadow was a much sportier bike, I also had the pleasure of taking that for a spin.
The nearest I got to riding a Vincent was sitting on one. Lol! Another classic and iconic British bike .

There's something magical about v-twins, I just love the look of them.
__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
MrJim's Avatar
 
City: Panama City
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Thanks FF. "Someone's mom"...Hahahaha. Try and explain THAT to your teenager.
That "someone's mom in the 70s" picture reminds me of a certain scene in a movie called "Vanishing Point."
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #18
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,564
Here are some Sydney "Biker Babes" you might not want to meet:
__________________

__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012